Chicken Tacos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
After talking with xray xray about homemade tortillas , he inspired me again to make some . They are so good , and pretty easy . Can be a bit of a challenge to get the moisture right . I like chicken with the white corn masa , so got a couple skinless / boneless breast . I find the way I like to do the breast for tacos is on the stove top . I have a set of pre- 1986 Revere ware pots and pans that I got when I bought my first house .
Heat up the 10 " with some olive oil . Add the chicken and let it brown up . Might seem stuck , but it's not . It will release when it's ready to flip .
20200909_155659.jpg 20200909_161043.jpg 20200909_162359.jpg
Do the same on the other side . Getting good stuff on the bottom of the pan .
I hit the pan with low salt chicken stock , and put the lid on to catch the steam . Turn the heat down and let it cook .
20200909_163231.jpg 20200909_163320.jpg
I'm not worried about temp . I want this to shred . So I just let it go . You will smell the chicken when it's time to check it .
I take the lid off and just push on it with a fork . If it spreads out , it's time to shred .
This is ready .
20200909_170747.jpg 20200909_172738.jpg
Get it shredded up . I added a pack of low sodium taco seasoning . A Couple shakes of Franks Red hot Chile Lime .
Add some more chicken stock , lid on and let it all soak up .
20200909_173538.jpg 20200909_174930.jpg 20200909_175210.jpg
While that rests , I mix up the masa so it can sit for 15 minutes or so .
20200909_163445.jpg 20200909_180428.jpg
I normally make chilerelleno chilerelleno rice , but saw this Zatarains at the store . Looked interesting
and I all ready had enough going on . I do take a page from his playbook . I add oil to all my rice cooks .
Store bought mix or from scratch in the rice cooker / top of the stove . Keeps the rice from sticking .
20200909_161921.jpg
Got going pretty fast from here . Pressed out some torts . Used the cast iron to cook them .
Then in a Pyrex dish covered with towels , Letting them steam together is key . They come out soft and pliable .
That rice is really good . I think adding the oil is a must .
20200909_175745.jpg 20200909_181845.jpg
Plated up with the rice and some nachos .
20200909_192058.jpg
Pretty good meal . Gets fast paced once the tortillas go in the pan .

Looks pretty good to me, I mean who can say no to tacos? Mmmm, tacos!

Rice, when it comes to rice the biggest thing to me is not the oil it's the toasting the rice in the oil. Sauteing that rice to a nice golden color releases is so much flavor, it really makes it.

If you liked that cilantro lime rice, I have a homemade recipe for that too.

Reactions: tallbm and chopsaw
And if anyone is curious as to what rice dish of mine he originally referenced.

Awwww--Man!!!
That looks Freaking Good, Rich!!!
Shame you gotta live so far from here!!!
Awesome Job!
Like.

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
Wow Rich....that's one fine looking plate of tacos right there!! Like Chile said, who can say no to tacos? I can easily see how things would get moving in a hurry though. Keeps ya on your toes I'd imagine. Great job sir.

Robert

Yum Rich, that’s a pretty delicious looking meal! I really like how you deglazed and steamed up those chicken juces. I bet that sure was good.

How are you cooking up your tortillas? I’ve been playing around with different methods and I’ve settled on one in particular. I put my pan on medium high heat, add the tortilla and flip after 10 seconds. After the first initial flip, I cook for a minute and then flip another time for an additional minute. They puff up real nice this way and taste much lighter too.

Towards the end of my tortilla stack, I decrease the last minute to about 30 seconds or so...seems the last of the batch has a tendency to cook quicker once the pan gets ripping hot.

Nice looking tacos! Gonna have to look for some masa and build a press...those tortillas have to be great!

Ryan

That's a beautiful piece of work Rich, I'd be thrilled to be sitting down to a couple of those tacos on a plate, big Like! RAY

Putting that nice press to work I see!I love all kinds of tacos and these would be great! Nice work Rich!

How are you cooking up your tortillas?
Xray, I've been playing around with how we do them too. Lately ive been doing them the night before. I only cook them on the stovetop just enough to stack them up and wrap to put in the fridge. Next day I finish them on the grill really hot for a few seconds per side. Puts a nice char on them but still soft and flexible.

Xray, I've been playing around with how we do them too. Lately ive been doing them the night before. I only cook them on the stovetop just enough to stack them up and wrap to put in the fridge. Next day I finish them on the grill really hot for a few seconds per side. Puts a nice char on them but still soft and flexible.

Thanks Travis I’ll have to give this method a try. Are these for corn or flour? I’ve been making the corn tortillas homemade almost exclusively. I still buy the flour ones. The homemade corn tortillas might break apart going directly on the grill grates...it will be something to try.

Thanks Travis I’ll have to give this method a try. Are these for corn or flour? I’ve been making the corn tortillas homemade almost exclusively. I still buy the flour ones. The homemade corn tortillas might break apart going directly on the grill grates...it will be something to try.
This is for corn. I put a little bit of olive oil in a Bowl and brush each side very lightly with it before laying on the hot grill grates. They will stick right at first but after a few seconds they will release and you can flip. They puff up nicely. Took me a few tries to get it right but man they're really good

delicious looking meal! I really like how you deglazed and steamed up those chicken juces.
Thanks bud . That's a great way to cook chicken breast . After shredding and mixing , there was about a 1/2 cup of chicken stock in the pot . As it rests and cools down all that liquid gets soaked up into the chicken . It's reallt goo .
How are you cooking up your tortillas?
I put them in a pretty hot cast iron , flip back and forth . I had about 1/2 the btch puffed up real nice the others did not . They were all good though .

Nice looking tacos! Gonna have to look for some masa and build a press...those tortillas have to be great!
Thanks you sir . Yup the homemade torts are killer .
Dang Chop those tacos look great man!
Thanks bud , appreciate that .
Nicely done on the meal and the tutorial Chop. I'd take a couple of plates of that!
Thanks Denny .
YES! WOO Tacos - them look amazing.
Thanks for the comment .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky