Chicken quarters?????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

binnesman

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 23, 2021
Wanting to smoke some chicken quarters and was wondering if I should do them low and slow or crank the heat up on the pellet smoker? Plain on putting a rub on and some bbq sauce and wanting to keep skin on as well. Just hate the rubber skin. I have not gotten my new charcoal grill yet so won’t be able to crisp up skin that way. I could put the skin under the broiler for sure if I have to, just don’t want to ruin the barbecue sauce. Any ideas?

personally i would start your chicken around 180 for an half hour or so to get a little smoke on it. then crank it up to 400 until done to crisp up your skin, i wouldn't add bbq. sauce until it's almost done.

Reactions: binnesman
I’m not familiar with pellet smokers, but if you can run it at 325-350, you will get bite thru skin. It won’t be crispy, unless you really crank the temp up. I smoke mine at 225 for about 1 1/2 hours, then onto a 600+ grill for a minute or so on each side & that crisps up the skin. But sometimes we just smoke them at 225-250 & don’t eat the skin. It’s a lot healthier that way!
Al

You need hot temps to make the skin eatable. Having said that, now I’m curious if one could cook chicken low and slow then take a burner (torch) to the skin to crisp it up?

Reactions: binnesman
May be over kill but it would be fun 🤩 but on a serious note my butane torch would work great idea.

Attachments

• F1EADA6F-8D68-405A-AFCC-8399B815DCC1.png
    F1EADA6F-8D68-405A-AFCC-8399B815DCC1.png
    921.3 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: SmokinEdge
Here some I did couple weeks ago.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky