Chicken Nuggets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
Disclaimer: I cooked these in the oven, but with a higher temp grill you could cook these no problem.

So the other day I posted a chicken nugget recipe in the dutch oven forum.

My wife requested that I adapt the recipe to be cooked in a healthier way. So this is what I came up with.

For the nuggets I used chicken breasts. They worked just as good as the thighs. So if you prefer all white meat go for it.
One ingredient I didn’t add into the meat mixture from the original recipe was the powdered chicken stock. I just was lazy and didn’t want to grind up a cube. I didn’t miss it so probably will skip it in the future. I did a double batch again.
My plan was to use Panko with seasonings. We didn’t have Panko but we did have a can of Italian seasoned bread crumbs. So that’s what I used. I spread a couple cups on a sheet pan and toasted them in the oven (400°f) for theee minutes. Stirred and toasted for another 3 minutes. Let that cool. This is an important step for any breaded food you want to oven bake. So don't skip it.
Earlier I had run the meat through the processor and seasoned it. I let it rest in the fridge for 3-4 hours.
For baking I set the oven up at 400°f .
While the oven was preheating I shaped and coated the nuggets. I mixed up an egg with a bit of water. Dipped the shaped meat into the egg wash. Then into the toasted bread crumbs. Places on a wire rack over a sheet pan. I sprayed the nuggets on both sides with olive oil. Once all the nuggets were shaped and breaded into the oven they went. It took 20 minutes to get a good crisp crust in our oven. I flipped them at the ten minute mark.
These were super tasty and Annalee declared them to be superior to the fried version. I don’t know that I’d go that far but they are really good and since we don’t have to set up a fryer I bet we’ll make these more often than the fried ones.

51162573435_5b91611d90_c.jpg
Ready for the oven.

51162252069_3f878cab3e_c.jpg

Out of the oven

51162251934_c63a892dd8_c.jpg

Enjoy!!!!

I have a excel file that calculates the spices in grams based on the weight of the chicken you have. Not sure how to attach it here.

When you freeze them do you bread them first or bread after thawing?
I haven't made a big batch yet to try. When I do, I am going to bread them then freeze. With the hopes that I can go straight into the oven without thawing. I think if you freeze them without the breading you'd need to thaw the meat to get the breading to stick properly.

Reactions: SmokyMose
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky