Chicken fried steak.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
No build pics, sorry. But started with 4 large cube steaks. I was pretty surprised of the size of these.
Dipped in a milk and egg wash. And dredged in flour.
Flour had 1 tsp each of the following:
Poultry seasoning
pepper
salt
Paprika
Curry powder.
Fried in veg oil until golden brown and crispy.
DSCN4471.jpg

Ann had mashed taters and gravy. I had herb stuffing (box mix, still pretty good)
The gravy was a powder mix as well. Forgot to buy some canned gravy. And didn't have anything on hand for homemade.
Had spinach as a veggie.
The meal was awesome. The CFS wasn't in the least tough as it sometimes can be. The breading nice and crispy with a nice hint of heat from the curry.

Oh yeah Steve, am I ever loving that! Did you pound the steaks out a little with a meat mallet? Myself I don't think there's a darned thing wrong with powdered gravy, always bought that over canned. I usually get McCormick's for au jus and brown gravy, Knorr's for Hollandaise sauce, great on asparagus and eggs benedict. There's not a dammed thing wrong with stove-top stuffing either, I like stuffing on occasion a lot more than I like to have turkey, which is about once a year. Off to the garage!

Oh yeah Steve, am I ever loving that! Did you pound the steaks out a little with a meat mallet? Myself I don't think there's a darned thing wrong with powdered gravy, always bought that over canned. I usually get McCormick's for au jus and brown gravy, Knorr's for Hollandaise sauce, great on asparagus and eggs benedict. There's not a dammed thing wrong with stove-top stuffing either, I like stuffing on occasion a lot more than I like to have turkey, which is about once a year. Off to the garage!
Thanks Ray! No, I didn't pound them down. They were big!

Oh man, the best part of CFS is homemade gravy!!

Looks great anyways!

My gravy for either sausage gravy or chicken fried steak is just pan drippings, flour stirred into the hot grease for 30 seconds to a minute, salt, black pepper, and milk.

Wow Steve that looks absolutely delicious! I never had CFS. Grew up on the boxed stuffing so I always loved that.

That’s a plate of comfort for sure!

Oh man, the best part of CFS is homemade gravy!!

Looks great anyways!

My gravy for either sausage gravy or chicken fried steak is just pan drippings, flour stirred into the hot grease for 30 seconds to a minute, salt, black pepper, and milk.
Thanks, I couldn't do that this time. I fried in oil this time.

Wow Steve that looks absolutely delicious! I never had CFS. Grew up on the boxed stuffing so I always loved that.

That’s a plate of comfort for sure!
Thank you sir! Pretty much the same for me with the stuffing. My mom used to make it. But I never have.

That CFS looks really good Steve. I started doing them on my kettle eliminating the oil. I haven't looked back. Also good choice on the veggie. Spinach is my favorite.

Point for sure
Chris

That CFS looks really good Steve. I started doing them on my kettle eliminating the oil. I haven't looked back. Also good choice on the veggie. Spinach is my favorite.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris! I've been thinking about trying this out with the air fryer to cut back on the oil.

Looks good to me. Nothing at all wrong with boxed/canned stuff for quick and easy. I'd tear it up.
Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky