Chicken brine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sparks65

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 15, 2017
Morning all. I dropped a whole chicken in the brine ( 1 gal water, 1c salt, 2/3 c sugar) . It's been there for 12 hr. The plan is to rinse, pat dry and store in the fridge till 5 tonight, about 8 hrs from now. I was going to spatchcock, oil and rub. Smoke indirect @ 325*, and direct heat for the last few minutes. The question is, is 8 hr in the fridge to long? Thanks for any input.

Nope you'll be fine. I air dry mine anywhere from 8-24 hours. I'd spatch cock the bird prior to putting it in the fridge. Place it on a rack over a shallow pan. Drying it like this in the fridge will help crisp the skin when cooking. No need for oil and if you are going to use a rub make sure it doesn't have salt in it since your bine did.

Thanks you gents. Dirtsailor, thanks for the reminder about the rub.

How did it turn out? I've been cooking my spatchcock chicken at 450 deg for about an hour. Crisps up the skin fairly well.

I hope the rub didn't have salt in it, the brine takes care of that :)

I always brine whole poultry or breasts, split or boneless/skinless.

If I don't have time to dry the birds in the refrigerator, I pat them dry, then spray with olive or canola oil on the skin. Helps crisp it up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky