Chicken Apple Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

browneyesvictim

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 16, 2016
Creswell OR
A little chicken apple sausage in the making. It’s been many years since I have done a natural casing sausage stuff, but it was all coming back to me. I’ve enjoyed this a lot! I went into my notes for this recipe, but I can’t for the life of me remember where it came from. If it looks familiar to someone here, Thank you! These are a little sweeter breakfast sausage with a dash of cinnamon, allspice, and clove. A local butcher sold me a 50 ft hank of fresh hog casings that were salt packed. After a rinsing and soaking for about 30 minutes, they were ready to go on the horn. I didn’t get a pic of the test fry patty because it vanished into thin air. Going in the smoker tonight and finish in a water bath.

Thanks for looking.

Erik

Looks good,nice job linking them.I am making Chicken Italian style Tomorrow

Richie

Thanks Ritchie, and for the point.

The linking was a lot easier than I remember. These casings were really easy to work with. They must have been super fresh. Ill be doing Italians next! Looking forward to looking at your sausage.

Looks tasty.

Since you are smoking can I assume that you added cure to the sausage?
Of course. It was 3 lbs of chicken so it was a half batch of this:

6 lbs Chicken Thigh meat with skin ground through medium plate

1 1/2 cups granny smith apples peeled and diced approx 1/4 x 1/4"

1/2 cup dice onions (lightly sautéd in bacon grease with apples then cooled)

2 Tbs salt

3 Tbs sugar

2 tsp white pepper

2 Tbs rubbed sage

1 tsp. allspice

1 1/4 tsp ground ginger

1/2 tsp. ground clove

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 cup white wine

1 1/4  tsp cure #1 

Since I couldn't quite accurately measure .625 of a teaspoon, I measured out by weight 1-1/4 tsp of cure and took away half. I don't recall what that number was off the top of my head now.

The thighs I got were "fortified" already so I did not need to add the white wine because it was already pretty wet without adding more liquid.

Here is how they came out. I wish you all could smell these!  Oh...Wait! no! Never mind!

Nothing to see here! Carry on!

After an hour drying in the convection oven they went in the smoker at 135' with Todd

's Pecan Pellets in two rows of the AMNPS. Bumped up temperature 10 degrees every hour til internal temp hit 135'.

Here is what they looked like right out of the smoker.

Into a steamer until internal temp was 165'

Removed and ice chilled and on a plate for the close up.

Whats left are in the fridge.

They are some stainless steel hooks I got on Amazon. They are a little big, but the work. Id like to screw some eyebolts into the top of the smoker or come up with a way to get a little more vertical clearance.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky