Chicken and broth ideas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I am thawing one of those 10 lb chicken quarters bags. Going to use few to make some southern church chicken and just going to simmer the rest. Chicken and dumplnigs would be great as would chicken spaghetti but trying to keep it low carb. Any Idea's on what do make with it keeping fairly low carb?

curry them (i like thai) with whatever vegs are cheap
filipeno adobo
could make a picata-like stew, or something similar with tarragon

Reactions: Wurstmeister
Chicken Paprikash, chicken Marsala and Cornell chicken all sound tasty to me. All can be fit into keto / low carb. Cornell chicken on the grill is intoxicating

There are a number of cold chicken salads out there.

We buy the Mission "Carb Balance" flour tortillas which have 19g of carbs..... but have 15g of fiber which results in 6 net carbs per tortilla which is an amazingly low number. Compare that to a normal flour tortilla which has about 30g of carbs. We use them for quesadillas, breakfast burrito's as well as chicken and beef burritos and after baking in a pan like enchiladas, we cool and cut into individual servings and wrap in cling wrap.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Chicken Paprikash, chicken Marsala and Cornell chicken all sound tasty to me. All can be fit into keto / low carb. Cornell chicken on the grill is intoxicating
That Chicken Paprikash sounds good. I ordered some Sweet Hungarian Paprika I figured out can make chicken spaghetti with Spiralized zucchini. That 10 lb bag looks like a lot of chicken and needed it out of the freezer. I have another in there also. I have to learn a sale is not a sale if you dont need it! I will be doing grilled chicken kind of like Cornell with a mop but that only take care of a few pieces.

Last edited:
There are a number of cold chicken salads out there.

We buy the Mission "Carb Balance" flour tortillas which have 19g of carbs..... but have 15g of fiber which results in 6 net carbs per tortilla which is an amazingly low number. Compare that to a normal flour tortilla which has about 30g of carbs. We use them for quesadillas, breakfast burrito's as well as chicken and beef burritos and after baking in a pan like enchiladas, we cool and cut into individual servings and wrap in cling wrap.
I been eating Green papaya salad and crab salad all week. Time for a cold salad break. I past my 1 year mark now of this Low Carb intermittent fasting now. Lost alot of wieght and Glucose pretty good. Jeff has been a big inspiration to me and his recipes help keep me going. I do break on weekends.

Chicken Tikka Masala is a fave here.
For Chicken Paprikash below is a great version...JJ

Last ones I had , I cured in Pop's brine then smoked them . Next day I put them in the crock pot with peppers and onions and cooked it down . We ate it over rice , but can use it all kinds of ways .

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Chicken Tikka Masala is a fave here.
For Chicken Paprikash below is a great version...JJ

JJ, chicken paprikash was my Dad’s all time favorite meal. My Mom, would make it all the time for him, until she passed away, at 43. Then my Dad hooked up with this bimbo that couldn’t cook at all. I remember having burnt fried eggs for dinner. Then I met Judy, who could cook really good, and I hardly ever went home. We got married at 18 & 19 & have been together 56 years. Her cooking was the thing that hooked me, also she was hot!!
Al

• Haha
Reactions: chef jimmyj
That Chicken Paprikash sounds good. I ordered some Sweet Hungarian Paprika I figured out can make chicken spaghetti with Spiralized zucchini. That 10 lb bag looks like a lot of chicken and needed it out of the freezer. I have another in there also. I have to learn a sale is not a sale if you dont need it! I will be doing grilled chicken kind of like Cornell with a mop but that only take care of a few pieces.
The Cornell recipe and variants Pops (RIP) posted are just amazing. When I grill some of that neighbors heads start popping out of houses for a whiff lol.

The Cornell recipe and variants Pops (RIP) posted are just amazing. When I grill some of that neighbors heads start popping out of houses for a whiff lol.
Is this the recipe

Is this the recipe

That Recipe from Pops is a Good one! In my area of PA, there are similar Chicken BBQ'S for Fire Dept and other Charities.
The First 4 Ingredients are the basic Conell Chicken Recipe. The rest are the additions Pops Dad must have added or got a recipe for.

This is my Version....

Pit Chicken aka, Roadside Chicken

This Chicken is Grilled/Smoked and sold all across the country at Roadside Stands and at Firehouse Fund Raiser BBQ's. Here is my version

Pit Chix Basting Sauce

2C Apple Cider Vinegar
1C Olive or other Oil
2T Worcestershire Sauce or more to taste
1/4C Brown Sugar
1T Smoked Paprika
2 tsp Granulated Garlic
2 tsp Granulated Onion
2 tsp Fine Grind Black Pepper
1 tsp Celery Salt
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Chipotle powder. Add more if you like Heat.
1/2 tsp Grnd Allspice
2Lrg Egg Yolks

This stuff is Tangy with a Sweet and Spicy Finish. I like to make a Double batch and add 1T Kosher Salt to half. Marinate the Chix for 4-6 hours with the salted half of the Brine/Basting Sauce then use the rest to baste during the Cook.

Grill/Smoked over indirect heat at 300-325°F until the Internal Temp (IT) reaches 175°F. If the skin is not Crisp enough, a few minutes, turning frequently, over direct heat will get you there.

I would squirt the Sauce on with a Sports Bottle about every 15-20 minutes and used all but 1/2 cup that I took to the Table to add a fresh Punch of flavor. Great Stuff!...JJ

Reactions: hoity toit
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky