Chicken and Bacon Wieners

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I too will be giving this a try here soon. However, you rated it a 7 out of 10 and stated it was a little salty. I'm ok with any spoilers, any ideas on what your gonna change yet?

I too will be giving this a try here soon. However, you rated it a 7 out of 10 and stated it was a little salty. I'm ok with any spoilers, any ideas on what your gonna change yet?
Two things gave it a low grade to me Bob, the salt and lack of smoke. After I made them I dug out my bacon cure recipe  and did some math, I ended up with 50% more salt then I like in my sausage which to some people wouldn't be a problem. But I'm sort of salt sensitive. 

They look great but why didn't you smoke them?
To be honest Alelover, I guess I was lazy. I really didn't have ime to smoke them and once I stuffed in plastic casings smoking was out of the question. Next time I'd use a 24-26 sheep casing and add some cure and give it a good hit of apple cherry smoke.

Thanks Ale! I will try this recipe and watch the salt. As for the smoke, I can wait. I tend to work something out without the smoke, and as soon as I reach the spot that i love, then comes the smoke. Thanks Again!

Those look great Dan....congrats on the carousel......................
icon14.gif

Joe

Dan you never answered the question on your standard wiener recipe which would help, as for the bacon how about trying cold smoking the solid piece from the picnic [its lean and meaty] as this is what I use for my steak and bacon burgers that are to die for and you do defiantly get the Smokey/baconie flavour

Dan you never answered the question on your standard wiener recipe which would help, as for the bacon how about trying cold smoking the solid piece from the picnic [its lean and meaty] as this is what I use for my steak and bacon burgers that are to die for and you do defiantly get the Smokey/baconie flavour
Welcome Robert, glad to have ya here.

I borrowed my wiener recipe from the marianski's, here's a link to the post I did on the last batch of pig wieners

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/105244/wiener-makin

after I made these I went back and did the math and it had about 50% more salt then I would have liked in it due to the salt in the bacon and not reducing the salt in the sausage enough. Still very edible but not the way I like them, salt wise.

I liked the idea of the belly cause I wanted the fat content and wasn't really ready to try chicken skin and fat....I guess I was chicken
ROTF.gif

icon_cool.gif

Now you have out done yourself again. I love it cause the wife has been after me for a really longtime to think alittle more healthier. But the chicken sausage has been brought up many times but now with the bacon I could maybe entertain the thought. Your sausage sounds really good and I like a little salty flavor myself. Bravo.

Thanks Mark

Before you make them check out my math, I think you could cut most of the salt out of the basic recipe and still end up with a good sausage;

Brican, here's the recipe I used and the mods i did;

As far as the salt goes, I could have actually calculated the amount of salt in the bacon and deducted accordingly but I just winged it. I should have known better.
After doing the math I got about 50% more then I like in it. The sugar in the bacon cure masks some of it I guess as it's not horribly salty, I'm just not a big fan of salt.
Heres the original spice mix for 1kg. it's from Wedliny Domowe.
Salt 18g
Cure#1 2.5g
White pepper 2.0g
Paprika 2.0g
Coriander 2.0g
Mace 0.6g
Onion powder 1.0g
Water 150ml

I removed half the salt and used 9g per 1000 and omitted the cure.

The bacon was cured with 17g of salt and 10g of sugar and 2.2g cure per kg

26g salt/2.2 pounds equals about 12g per pound. I like about 6-8 per pound

Dan thanks for the welcome.

I picked this up at work while checking my mail @ 4, problem is there was something telling me this is all wrong and the penny just dropped @ 11

Original recipe (18gm salt per kg) is for making an emulsion with cure 1 (cure 2.5gm) gives a total of 20.5gm which is where one needs to be if making the emulsion.

I see by your first post that you did the sausage as a fresh type and then pouched in water. When I do fresh sausage I do 9gm per kg the other part of the equation is the bacon and as you rightly say there is salt in it. When I do my mix for the bacon it is always 50/50 (curing salt – sugar) using a 50/50 mix counteracts the salt now when adding bacon to the mix I come down from 9gm to 7gm per kg (you might want to come down to 6gm per kg) you should be fine. I do the same when doing my mild Italian as this has cheese in it

With all that being said I think this is going to be put on the list to make
icon_biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky