Cherry wood question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

papa g

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
St. Louis Metro Area
I have a friend who builds cabinets and furniture and uses cherry a lot. He has offered to give me his scraps for smoking. Just making sure it will be fine to use for smoking meat. Thanks

Cherry is a great smoking wood.
But my experience with "lumber" (at least with oak) is that it's just not as flavorable as a split, or even pellets, of the same wood. I've wondered if the kiln-drying that lumber undergoes doesn't also drive out some of the flavor/aroma. Just a guess, and my experience is limited.
But certainly nothing harmful about using kiln-dried lumber of food-grade woods...oak, cherry, maple, etc. Avoid mahogany of course.

Cherry is a great smoking wood.
But my experience with "lumber" (at least with oak) is that it's just not as flavorable as a split, or even pellets, of the same wood. I've wondered if the kiln-drying that lumber undergoes doesn't also drive out some of the flavor/aroma. Just a guess, and my experience is limited.
But certainly nothing harmful about using kiln-dried lumber of food-grade woods...oak, cherry, maple, etc. Avoid mahogany of course.
I agree completely. When my father was alive, he made a lot of furniture, mostly out of oak, and I got all of his scraps. I've tried it some other kiln dries woods before and they were not nearly as good as split.

Reactions: papa g
Ah that wood just wont do....Have your friend box it up and sent it to me and I will "properly dispose" it for him.....wink wink....

It will be nice and dry so it will burn a bit hotter and faster, hence a lighter smoke flavor vs a split that typically has a higher moisture content....IE Cherry is my #1 FAV wood!

Last edited:
Ah that wood just wont do....Have your friend box it up and sent it to me and I will "properly dispose" it for him.....wink wink....

It will be nice and dry so it will burn a bit hotter and faster, hence a lighter smoke flavor vs a split that typically has a higher moisture content....IE Cherry is my #1 FAV wood!
Cherry has become my Fav for poultry also. Great flavor for Chicken and Turkey as well as great color to the skin. I might try soaking the wood in water for a day or so and letting it dry for a day or two to add some moisture back to it.

Cherry has become my Fav for poultry also. Great flavor for Chicken and Turkey as well as great color to the skin. I might try soaking the wood in water for a day or so and letting it dry for a day or two to add some moisture back to it.

If it were me I would use it as is....ie wet wood doesn't burn very good. I also use cherry for open flame searing steaks, prime rib, pork ribs and such (Its very versatile) and the dryer the better. To me the cleaner the burn the more true and velvety the smoke flavor is...Ie I don't think its broken so don't go trying to fix it......

Reactions: papa g
Good advice Civilsmoker. I've never been a fan of soaking wood, but thought soaking and letting it dry over a day or two before using it would add some of the moisture back to it. Sounds like extra steps and unnecessary time.

Reactions: civilsmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky