Cherry smoked turkey breast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
My wife’s favorite thing from the smoker is my turkey breast. I bought 8 whole bone in breasts a couple months ago on sale for $0.99 / lbs. I always inject them with Butcher BBQ bird booster. I’ve used a few different rubs but did all these with my buddy who owns Red Beard Seasonings Chicken Dust. Smoked at 250 in the Lang for a few hours and then 275-300 until done. I also do them beer can chicken style despite reading it doesn’t help. I like the results so I don’t change the process.
0DEFD7D2-3986-4072-BB5A-82AABD088A53.jpeg
68D90B32-9FD7-463F-878C-BD7EFEEA139D.jpeg
0418B71A-CC43-4A29-BB47-1032E5378C81.jpeg
69766357-3717-4A9A-AF16-7FCB661763ED.jpeg
D7D6B871-AF02-443C-88B9-15205497B62C.jpeg
95687197-2615-4DE0-BE58-DBDD2BEDFF6F.jpeg
They were super juicy as always and wife approved. Carved off the big pieces and then picked them clean and vacuum packed. She’s set for awhile now.

Wow, those look fantastic!!!

Does the Butcher BBQ have phosphates in it? I'm not a fan of phosphates is the reason I ask.

Yum, I love those hotel cut birds, for frying and smoking. They make great sandwiches with a little smoked pepperjack some stuffing/dressing and cranberry sauce. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Reactions: jcam222
Wow, those look fantastic!!!

Does the Butcher BBQ have phosphates in it? I'm not a fan of phosphates is the reason I ask.

Yum, I love those hotel cut birds, for frying and smoking. They make great sandwiches with a little smoked pepperjack some stuffing/dressing and cranberry sauce. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Thanks! Yea it does have phosphates in it but I find it does not have an aftertaste like some of the other commercial injections. I’d be happy to send you a scoop to try on a couple birds.

Beautiful birds. I do a couple breasts around Thanksgiving in apple wood, other than that I seldom do them. I need to get them in rotation!

Wow! They look amazing! I always mess up the skin and it gets rubbery, does the last bit at 275 crisp it for you? Man, gotta go snack, that’s making my stomach rumble!

Wow! They look amazing! I always mess up the skin and it gets rubbery, does the last bit at 275 crisp it for you? Man, gotta go snack, that’s making my stomach rumble!
300F for a couple hours helps but it is hard on turkey with the thick skin. I eat some of the crisped skin but most of what I vac pack for her I do without the skin. Because of that I make sure to get rub all up under the skin. I’m going to hit a few with my weed burner next time.

Jeff, those look fantastic. For a few weeks now, I've been thinking about smoking a turkey. I tend to forget about turkey until Thanksgiving and Christmas, but we love it and I need to get one done SOON...

Great looking birds Jeff. I had a turkey breast fall out of freezer and almost broke my toe yesterday. Think it trying to tell me something. I might try to make that injection. It has Sodium Phosphate, Butter Buds, Black Pepper and Chicken Base in it. Been wanting to try those but to expensive for me.

Looks great, I have pondered why my self don't eat as much turkey as I would like, mostly it is because frozen birds are a pain to thaw as you never or I cant predict just when its thawed enough to work up, I will buy the bagged bird some times that cooks from frozen and it works great but that leaves out smoking, fraid it would stay in the danger zone to long as I don't want to run that high temp on the smokers. The 2nd issue is I take a turkey sandwich of some kind about 3 days of the week for lunch lol

Man, that turkey looks absolutely awesome Jeff! I too wonder why I don’t eat more Turkey. I guess after vac sealing those breast, they would come out nicely reheated in the sous vide? I should smoke a few now that I have freezer space again.

Good looking breasts! Like the others have said, Its something I need to put into the rotation.
Jim

Looks great . I've been doing whole chickens for the same purpose .
Nice work .

Those look fantastic Jeff. Delicious for sure.
Question, we’re the breasts injected with a solution when packaged at the factory? Or were these fresh breasts?

For only using cherry I am very surprised they don’t have a nice deep mahogany color. Are you sure the wood was cherry?
100% certain. Most things I do with cherry do take on a redder hue. Turkey with the poultry rub I used usually not for me. The ribs I did at the same time were very mahogany colored.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky