cheese color variation, same flavor?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

doughboysigep

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 16, 2015
Delhi, NY
I finally made my mailbox attachment for my MES. Did 2 batches of cheese - 1 without mailbox, 1 with mailbox. w/o mailbox internal smoker temps get to 80 and cheese takes a real nice color. w/ mailbox internal smoker temp stayed at 40 and cheese was noticeably lighter color. Is the temp difference the reason for color variation? Will they both taste the same?

Attachments

• 349900-551a9b398abd035710207e4334272a53.jpg
    349900-551a9b398abd035710207e4334272a53.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 349901-51d92348bafeaff5e04dec8b29a65f3c.jpg
    349901-51d92348bafeaff5e04dec8b29a65f3c.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 349898-4e2230d783a63dfa10783be408782460.jpg
    349898-4e2230d783a63dfa10783be408782460.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 55
I'll let others offer their thoughts but just did a run of cheese myself and researched heavily. There is a TON of variation and no real consensus. Some guys do 1.5hr others 12+. Some get no color some get plenty. Some say color develops later in aging. I did 4hrs with MES + AMNPS and very little color but was really potent smelling. We'll see in a few weeks...

I do believe that the higher heat will affect the color of the cheese. It takes on smoke quicker. Your cheese will most likely have stronger smoke flavor at a 80* compared to 40*. Don't worry to much about color. They do tend to darken up while resting. Even with the lighter color the flavor should still be there.

Chris

I think the optimum temp for cheese is 60-70 degrees. You could use the mailbox mod & turn the MES on for a minute or 2 every once in a while just to heat up the CC a little. The mailbox mod cleans the smoke, so the one's you did without using it may taste a little stronger. Personally I like to see some color on my smoked cheese, but I think the taste of the lighter ones will be better than the darker colored ones, because some of that color is from creosote.
Al

Let me also state that another member suggested bringing the cheese to room temp (something I woulda never thought of) prior to smoking and I did. I also attribute less color to me using corn cob. Surprisingly, smoking cheese is quite complex. As long as taste is good I am happy.

My cheese has aged 2 weeks yesterday so decided to sample. Color is about the same, maybe just a tad darker. Still a little too young (smoke is a bit rough) but not inedible. That said, I got a hint of something that I hope is what the final product might be and if so it will be better than the Hickory Farms stuff.

there definitely was a different taste between the 2. Hard to explain. The darker ("hotter" smoked) was a bit milder, even "sweeter" tasting. The lighter color (mailbox, cold smoke) was a bit more "bitter", maybe even a touch metalic tasting (left an after taste). It was still ok and after another week+ of aging tastes even better. I wonder if I should have "seasoned" the mailbox attachment prior to fist smoke?

Thanks for the info. While I don't have mailbox modded cheese to compare I will say that I agree that my "hot" AMNPS inside MES cheese did take on a sweeter or meaty flavor. Surprising, nothing like Hickory Farms. Dare I say the corn cob flavor is there. If this flavor develops becomes more prominent I could get totally hooked on smoked cheese.

Hickory Farms cheese may have liquid smoke added in.

Chris

4 weeks last night and a definite improvement but still just a bit too strong. Flavor is definitely a whole other level above Hickory Farms but just needs to mellow a bit. Like others have posted, it looks like 6 weeks is about where I need to be. I think I am hooked on smoked cheese now.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky