Cheese. . . Cheese. . . Ohhhhhhh. . . Cheese!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
It was a great day here in Western Pennsylvania for smoking the stash of cheese I have been collecting all summer. Presently 32˚ with a high temp of 45˚. Over the years I have grown most partial to Cheddar and Swiss, so the two pound blocks always available at Walmart were the perfect choice. There is one Colby in there that I wanted to try. My wife said that I probably would be disappointed but we will see.
IMG_0171.jpg

I decided to take Daveomak's suggestion and cut the blocks into convenient sizes so the sliced pieces would plop easily onto a cracker.

IMG_0172.jpg

Preparing my apple pellets. . . one minute in the microwave, stir, rest for a minute, and repeat two more times. I have found that dry pellets aren't always dry and this process gives me the greatest results in Todd's A-Maze-N 12" tube.

IMG_0175.jpg

We have ignition!
IMG_0176.jpg

Finally, everyone inside the smoker for their three hour smoke.

IMG_0178.jpg

I decided to use my lucky Craig's List find from last year. This little smoker is really convenient for smoking cheese. Not bad for $50.

IMG_0179.jpg

Since pellets produce more smoke than the A-Maze-N dust and the smoking chamber is small, I propped open the door for better air flow. Avoids that dreaded creosote taste as well.

IMG_0180.jpg

Taking a short nap after three hours in the smoker before their overnight rest in the refrigerator. . . Tomorrow morning I will wipe off any moisture and shrink wrap. The waiting is the hardest part!

IMG_0181.jpg

Thanks for viewing and the best of luck with your next smoke!

John

Last edited:
Thanks Steve.

Another reason I am trying the Colby is because Walmart always has the Colby available but the Cheddar and Swiss usually sells out.

I'm pretty sure I will like it. . . I think I would like smoked shoelaces as well!

Smoke makes everything taste great!

John

Looks good John. Nice color. It was a perfect day to do cheese. It looks like the next week will be good to do cheese too, although, it's not like your going to need to! LIKE

Looks real good! Didnt get to do mine today so tomorrow is the day. Great color!

Nice job
I decided to use my lucky Craig's List find from last year. This little smoker is really convenient for smoking cheese. Not bad for $50.
I got my (almost unused) Big Chief many years ago for $30
I smoked a lot of pork shoulder, dried tomatoes, smoked and dried tomatoes
Since pellets produce more smoke than the A-Maze-N dust and the smoking chamber is small, I propped open the door for better air flow. Avoids that dreaded creosote taste as well
To reduce smoke with a tube I only partially fill. Burns out quicker, but I usually get enough smoke to flavor without the ashtray note.

John That should last awhile tried leaving message yesterday,site was having some problems. LIKES
Richie

Well, my wife was right.

It has been a month since I vacuum packed the cheese so I pulled one of the Colbys. For my taste the smoke flavor was right on but unfortunately the Colby was a bit too bland for me. No wonder there is so much of it in the cooler at Walmart. It was worth a try anyway.

I guess I will stick with my two favorites.

Merry Christmas everyone!

John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky