Cheers from Texas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brisket Nerd

Original poster
Feb 19, 2019
Just wanted to stop in and say hi. Been smoking meat for many years and recently started competing. I mainly use an offset smoker but my first love was my 22" Weber that I still use all the time.

I love technology and numbers; having said that I'm completely obsessed with all of the variables that go into the science of smoking/grilling good bbq.

Cheers.

Reactions: kruizer
Just wanted to stop in and say hi. Been smoking meat for many years and recently started competing. I mainly use an offset smoker but my first love was my 22" Weber that I still use all the time.

I love technology and numbers; having said that I'm completely obsessed with all of the variables that go into the science of smoking/grilling good bbq.

Cheers.

What's your go-to brisky method, rub, etc since you are from Texas? I haven't gotten the nerve to try another brisket in my OK Joe just yet b/c of the time it would take but I'm getting close to being ready to try it again.

Welcome glad to have you on board there are a lot of great guys and gals on here with a lot of info just ask or search and read.

Warren

What's your go-to brisky method, rub, etc since you are from Texas? I haven't gotten the nerve to try another brisket in my OK Joe just yet b/c of the time it would take but I'm getting close to being ready to try it again.

Hi banderson. I like to keep things pretty simple for brisket. Rub is only 50/50 (by volume) kosher salt and coarse pepper mix.

I’ll cook at 250 degrees. I usually don’t even look at it for the first 3 hours. After that I spray with water every 45 minutes or so. I’ll continue doing this until I like the color of the bark (usually around 170-175 degrees IT) and then I’ll wrap in butcher paper. After that, the brisket is done when you can slide a temp probe through it with 0 resistance (can be anywhere from an internal temp of 195-210). Trust the feel of the probe and not the internal temp. Internal temp should just be a guide.

Everyone cooks different but this is what I like and what works best for me. Competed in a competition two weeks ago and won 2nd by doing exactly this. The only thing I did different for the competition was include an injection. For backyard brisket I don’t inject. For wood I use post oak logs and hickory chunks. Allow for 1.5 hours per lb of meat.

I love talking brisket (and bbq in general) so let me know if you have any questions or anything.

Reactions: fivetricks
Welcome to the site, happy to have ya join the fun.

Chris

Hi banderson. I like to keep things pretty simple for brisket. Rub is only 50/50 (by volume) kosher salt and coarse pepper mix.

I’ll cook at 250 degrees. I usually don’t even look at it for the first 3 hours. After that I spray with water every 45 minutes or so. I’ll continue doing this until I like the color of the bark (usually around 170-175 degrees IT) and then I’ll wrap in butcher paper. After that, the brisket is done when you can slide a temp probe through it with 0 resistance (can be anywhere from an internal temp of 195-210). Trust the feel of the probe and not the internal temp. Internal temp should just be a guide.

Everyone cooks different but this is what I like and what works best for me. Competed in a competition two weeks ago and won 2nd by doing exactly this. The only thing I did different for the competition was include an injection. For backyard brisket I don’t inject. For wood I use post oak logs and hickory chunks. Allow for 1.5 hours per lb of meat.

I love talking brisket (and bbq in general) so let me know if you have any questions or anything.

Cool, i dont think ive heard anyone spray water before. It was always a mixture of something. Welcome to the site!

Cool, i dont think ive heard anyone spray water before. It was always a mixture of something. Welcome to the site!

Yup. In my experience, spraying doesn't impart much flavor on the final product. I use it mostly as a means of maintaining surface moisture to optimize smoke adhesion.

Reactions: fivetricks
Good Morning and Welcome from a Beautiful Chilly and Sunny Day here in East Texas

Gary

Welcome from the frozen tundra of North Iowa. I like your simple seasoning I add a little garlic & onion powder + a little crushed rosemary. I don't spritz but I do wrap.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky