Charcuterie board for son's wedding

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kawboy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 20, 2015
Central Minnesota
Boy #2 asked if I'd be willing to put together a charcuterie board for his rehearsal dinner next January. Having not even ever heard of a charcuterie board until not long ago, I said sure. What are some easy-ish things to start out making? I recently started making my own bacon, so why not grow some more. The wedding isn't until January, so I should be able to practice quite a bit. Boy #1's wedding I smoked 14 Butts for, so this should be getting off easy. Except it'll be in California, and I'm in Minnesota. Thanks.

Are you using Umai bags or a aging drying chamber.

Meats like pepperoni,sopressetta, Bresaola, lonzino along with cheese’s, fruits, olives all play well together
I have no idea, never attempted before. Just looking to get my feet wet. I've got no plan or recipes yet. I could always bring a bunch of my Venison jalapeno summer sausage. Open to any ideas, may have to go taste some of the mentioned items.

In addition to various preserved meats, cheeses, and breads/crackers, you should look into pâtés, confits, terrines, galantines and rillettes. Lots of that sort of stuff involves pulled meat, pork stock, and clarified animal fats.
Zillions of online recipes out there, and with a little effort, you can make it a heck of a lot more interesting than going to Hy Vee and buying a cold cut and cheese plate.

In addition to various preserved meats, cheeses, and breads/crackers, you should look into pâtés, confits, terrines, galantines and rillettes. Lots of that sort of stuff involves pulled meat, pork stock, and clarified animal fats.
Zillions of online recipes out there, and with a little effort, you can make it a heck of a lot more interesting than going to Hy Vee and buying a cold cut and cheese plate.
Yeah, I want to make it instead of buying the stuff as much as possible. May have to find a way of Minnesotafying it.

Boy #2 asked if I'd be willing to put together a charcuterie board for his rehearsal dinner next January. Having not even ever heard of a charcuterie board until not long ago, I said sure. What are some easy-ish things to start out making? I recently started making my own bacon, so why not grow some more. The wedding isn't until January, so I should be able to practice quite a bit. Boy #1's wedding I smoked 14 Butts for, so this should be getting off easy. Except it'll be in California, and I'm in Minnesota. Thanks.
Should be no problem If you're planing to do all of it in Minnesota... You will have plenty of time for one practise run in november and second batch just in time for weding..
I would suggest cold smoked tenderloins, capacollas and thin rolled panchetta.. five days curing with cure #2 , two to three days cold smoking and about 3 weeks aging/ dehydrating. Just go with thiner meat pieces, bout 2,5 - 3 inch in diameter. . add some smoked cheese, pickled eggs and store buy blue cheese stuffed olives...

Should be no problem If you're planing to do all of it in Minnesota... You will have plenty of time for one practise run in november and second batch just in time for weding..
I would suggest cold smoked tenderloins, capacollas and thin rolled panchetta.. five days curing with cure #2 , two to three days cold smoking and about 3 weeks aging/ dehydrating. Just go with thiner meat pieces, bout 2,5 - 3 inch in diameter. . add some smoked cheese, pickled eggs and store buy blue cheese stuffed olives...
He mainly wants me to do the meat, but I may try some cheese as well. Most of what I've been seeing is to start with duck. I'm seeing some use just salt, some use salt and #2.Plan on a bunch of practice runs as soon as I get my spare fridge working again.

pork tenderloin.. . its about 3" in diameter. .. done in about month...
2% salt of total meat weight
cure #2
SPG spice..
May have to try that! Need to quiet my meat fridge and get some cure #2, all I have is TQ. Hang un-covered or in a mesh? Does the finished product have a name? Thanks a ton for the help!

Since you are in Minnesota you have perfect condition to get it done between late october and mid March, if you have cold cellar... I have couple posts that shows pictures how its done so you get idea.

Reactions: kawboy
No need for butcher net....dehydration at temp around 10 deg C and humidity 65 - 75%...natural air drift if posible, if not, use air fan..
les humidity and more air fan speed equals to faster dehydration and vice versa.

These fellows got you covered.

I agree a mix of meats, cheeses, breads, vegs, pickles, fruit, terrines, pates, fruit jellies make for a beautiful board.

We are all meat lovers here but we always have something on the side-so why not on the board?

Here are some of my boards
charcuterie.jpg

charcuterie2.JPG
chsrcuterie-small.jpg

Last edited:
While there are no rules for charcuterie boards you'd want foods served cold on them. Bacon would work if you fry it crunchy. Leave the srrips long and stick them in a tall glass. Cool look.

If you want to use a butt have the collar muscle separated and air dry it. You can also make rillette out of pulled pork. Just make sure is not served straight from the fridge (so it spreads).

Pork teenderloin and duck breasts are easy to make dry meats. Plenty of threads on SMF.

Chicken liver pate is easy too.

Sausages: cooked, smoked or air dried.

Reactions: dernektambura
Thanks guys! I should have plenty of fun practicing over the summer and fall. I just need to figure out what most of this stuff is, I need to hang out with a higher class of people☺! Thanks again.

While there are no rules for charcuterie boards you'd want foods served cold on them. Bacon would work if you fry it crunchy. Leave the srrips long and stick them in a tall glass. Cool look.

If you want to use a butt have the collar muscle separated and air dry it. You can also make rillette out of pulled pork. Just make sure is not served straight from the fridge (so it spreads).

Pork teenderloin and duck breasts are easy to make dry meats. Plenty of threads on SMF.

Chicken liver pate is easy too.

Sausages: cooked, smoked or air dried.
Atomic, now tell me if I'm wrong....on third pic first from left is morcilla ( blood sausage), second head cheese with bacon skin layers and between bacon cuts another head cheese...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky