Charcoal VS Gas in terms of taste??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

If charcoal is 4 stars out of 5, what would gas be?

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HowardScott

Original poster
Apr 8, 2020
Hi guys. it's me again.
If we're comparing charcoal and gas grills in terms of taste?
Just trying to quantify the difference to better feel it, say if the charcoal grills have 4 stars rating out of 5, what would that make gas grills 3 or 3.5?

Between those two, I say charcoal devices put out a way better tasting product, but if you need to get dinner going and running out of time, there's nothing like a gasser.

Last edited:
Reactions: HowardScott
3utgpy.jpg

To me charcoal is king, but a good gas grill does just fine in most quickie situations if you add a smoke bomb and your grill is nice and seasoned.
I gave gas a 3 only because you forgot to add 1.5 & 2.5...I would've given gas a 2.5 if it was an option.

Reactions: HowardScott
To me charcoal is king, but a good gas grill does just fine in most quickie situations if you add a smoke bomb and your grill is nice and seasoned.
I gave gas a 3 only because you forgot to add 1.5 & 2.5...I would've given gas a 2.5 if it was an option.

Sorry :D I added them for you

• Haha
Reactions: forktender
Gas adds no flavor. So I guess: Charcoal = 5, Gas = 0

Chris

I believe that it depends on how well your propane grill is seasoned. Certainly charcoal is gonna give a lot more flavor but if your grill is well seasoned, you'll get a bit of that flavor in your food. I have both types of cooking available so it's a matter of which I use based on time frame. Need it done quick, I use propane. If I have time, I use charcoal or real wood.

Robert

I gave my gas grill away years ago, and haven't looked back. I would just assume fry a burger or hot dog in a pan on my stove then cook it on a gas grill - as there isn't that noticeable a difference.

Chris

I was a charcoal guy for decades. When I got super busy, I really didn't find the time for grilling and my wife missed it. She bought me a gas grill, and with time I noticed a hint of grilled flavor. I never had much luck getting any additional flavor out of wood packets or smoker trays.

When you think it through, though, you'll realize the only flavor you get from a "seasoned" gas grill is carbonized fat and grease that has dripped onto the heat diffusers and the drip plate. Imagine being asked to roast meat in a kitchen oven that has caked-on grease and drippings. Basically, that's a gas grill, and was a BIG reason I returned to charcoal.

Obviously gas grills are safe because the high heat sterilizes everything. Charcoal grills also carbonize the drippings, but have the additional flavor element of carbonized wood and aged wood. To me, there's no comparison in flavor. Charcoal wins by multiples with less gross evidence apparent.

I gave gas a 1 based on aroma/flavor it would add to the item's being cooked. There is an aroma/flavor that can be produced by a gas grill but the influence of this flavor profile is driven by spice or rubs on the meat and the meat/fat cooking process.

I just like hanging out around a grill (gas or charcoal) having an adult beverage and enjoying life with family and friends. Lately it's only been make believe friends :)

Our gas grill is used for quicker/easier cooking & searing.

Reactions: forktender
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky