charcoal storage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Pete Vance

Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
I am building a cabinet for my SM 18" smoker to keep all of my equipment together. What do you guys use to store your charcoal? I have looked at the Kingsford storage bin and was wondering if any of you have used it. I don't smoke real often but I like to buy charcoal in the twin packages to save a coupe bucks and also to be sure to have it when I need it.

Any ideas and advice appreciated, Pete

I store mine in the original bag in my garage.

Chris

I store mine in the original bag too, where ever it will fit. Lately that has been outside in a Rubbermaid patio box.
Al

My Performer has the charcoal storage bin . I just put the open bag in there . It's not sealed or anything . Multiple bags just stay in the garage until needed .

Reactions: 3-2-1
My Performer has the charcoal storage bin . I just put the open bag in there . It's not sealed or anything . Multiple bags just stay in the garage until needed .
My cabinet should be weatherproof and,of course, will be outside. I would like to keep to keep the charcoal from getting damp.

Like most of you I just keep mine in the bag in the shop now. Just trying to get everything in one place and portable.

Thanks for the help, Pete

A lot depends on the weather in your area too. Are you in the humid south, the dry southwest, rainy NW, or etc? Oh and welcome to the forum from Mississippi.
Jim

I think fresh air circulation is more important than dryness/humidity. I once stored some charcoal in a nice airtight container and it ended up with mildew. I like keeping mine in the original bags, so as long as that bag doesn't get so wet that it tears open, I'm happy.

So I'd say charcoal (lump or briquettes) is easy to store about anyplace that's not directly exposed to the elements. Charcoal is much heartier than pressed pellets. Makes storage easier.

Welcome to the Forum. Your project sounds like a good one; post some pics when finished.

I store mine in the Weber performer coal bucket which looks like a skinny rectangular Rubbermaid garbage can without a lid. I keep my performer covered when not in use. Living in San Jose CA there's not much humidity and mild rain so the winters here are easy on storage items.

Curious to know have you ever tried cooking with mesquite charcoal? I haven't used briquettes (kingsford, match light etc) in years...they are compressed garbage IMO, try a 40 lb bag of mesquite charcoal and you might understand why I made the switch. I only use this for BBQ'ing only, not smoking. BTW, they spark up a lot when you are preparing them and spreading them so just be careful if you have a child who wants to see what dad is doing in the firebox!

Attachments

• IMG_2752.JPG
    IMG_2752.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: sawzall
Unopened bags in the garage. Once I open a bag, a Home Depot bucket and lid (about $5) in the backyard. I use them for wood chunks/splits, too. The buckets are exposed to the weather but keep the charcoal or wood dry through wind and rain, and I only "click" one side of the lid closed so they open easier. One 5 gallon bucket will easily hold about 18 lbs of charcoal.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky