Charcoal Sale at Home Depot and Lowes thru 7/4/18

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento
Lowes: 15.4 lbs of Royal Oak Ridge briquettes for $4/bag. KBB $9.88 for 18.6x2. Both work out to about 26 cents a lb. I'm glad to see Lowes is putting the Ridge on sale more than once a year. I think this is the 4th time I've seen Ridge on sale since the first Spring sale.

Home Depot: KBB only. $9.88 for 18.6x2.

July 4th is usually the last deep discount sale until Labor Day weekend so stock up if you haven't already!

I’m definitely gonna have to go.
I’m down to my last bag of each.
Going to get all RO Ridge.

upload_2018-7-2_11-37-53.png
upload_2018-7-2_11-38-17.png

Its in their weekly ad. This is from Lowes.

Reactions: banderson7474
The Royal Oak is definitely $4 here in So Cal. I am going to head over there before the 4th and get a few bags. I've only used the knock off branded RO. It will be nice to give the real thing a try. I do have bag of their lump charcoal as well. I thought I'd use that to build the coal bed on my brisket cook on the 4th. I do wish the lump was less expensive. I love the super low ash that it produces. It was the first charcoal I tried when I first bought my OKJ and it worked really well. Five or six hours of burn time and I had a very small amount of ash to clean out in the end. Anyway, thanks for the head up Ray.

George

Hey, George. Royal Oak Ridge and the Ridge knockoff stuff is EXACTLY all the same. I've used my Winco Store brand (it is Ridge) and Embers. They are all formed on the same Royal Oak Ridge line (size, shape, weight) and just bagged differently. Expert Grill from Walmart is another Ridge knockoff. I haven't used it, but it has the Ridge trademark on the bag.

Lump will always outperform a briquette in the ash department. Some briquettes that are 95% char and 5% binder perform equally to lump, but are just as expensive.

Why I like Ridge is I have no problem dialing in temps between 150-350+, the temp stays solid for hours, and it's cheap. Basically, you're buying heat when you buy charcoal. If there's a flavor, that could be a negative issue. There was a flavor with KBB, but not with Ridge. Lump can impart no flavor, to a slight one, but it is a desired, woody tone that adds to the meat.

I want cheap heat, no recognizable flavors, and steady temps. I used KBB for decades, and my taste buds got used to the flavor. When they changed their formula repeatedly, steady temps went out the window and the flavor became an issue with me.

Ridge is my charcoal of choice now. If RO screws with the formula, I'll move on and buy 500 lbs yearly of something else that meets my needs. And I'll tell everyone I know what I'm using and why.

Expert Grill from Walmart is another Ridge knockoff. I haven't used it, but it has the Ridge trademark on the bag.
I am actually using the Walmart brand right now. It was the same price as the Embers from Home Depot and was one less trip I had to make for it. The deal at Lowes is almost a buck cheaper for the actual Royal Oak brand. To me, that's an easy decision to make. I will go grab me several bags because I KNOW I will be smoking something nearly every week. It just makes sense to take advantage of the price. I picked up that bag of lump at HD for less than $10 on Father's Day. Now I wish I had bought a few bags of that too. It would be nice to use for shorter cooks like Tri Tips that would be way less ash to clean up. I am still very grateful to you for your in depth post about the burn comparisons with KBB and ROR. I have found that your results mirror mine. You are indeed a charcoal nerd. Thank you sir.

George

I saw at Walmart yesterday that you can buy 2x15.4# bags for 7.88. i have used the Walmart ridge 16# bags for 4.92 and those work fine for Weber kettle or starting up the Lang. if i was using the WSM (for non cold smoking) i would get the RO lump for sure.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky