Charcoal Problem?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Flatrate

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 8, 2015
Michigan
Hey folks, hoping some can help me out. I haven't had a coal cooker in about 5 years, missing it in my arsenal, back in December I picked up a Kamado Joe Kettle Joe. Finally got it assembled in April and today was suppose to be the first cook. Plan was to fire it up for awhile to burn it in and then throw some chicken on for dinner. So a couple of hours ago I lite it up.

I filled a chimney with Jealous Devil briquettes started it with a Royal Oak tumbleweed. After they got going I dumped the chimney in the basket and closed the lid and let it get up to 400f and throttled it. Checking on it from time to time the temp was steady. After a bit I was checking on it as I got close I smelled like a burning plastic smell. I went to open the top and the handle was hot as hell, I hit it with my IR thermometer and the handle was around 230f.

So I got a glove and opened it up, the plastic smell is slight but is coming from the cooking chamber. I figure it just need a longer season? Any ideas?

Needless to say chicken is now in the oven. I was planning on doing a small write up on this cook, but no go!

tn_IMG_1233.JPG

Got the first pic in the beginning and that was it.

Dave

Reactions: JLeonard
I'd say it's just under seasoned. I like to run a new cooker around 4hrs hot. Can't wait to see it in action
Thats what I hoping to hear, thanks Jake. It was the first time I ever experienced that smell breaking a cooker in. I just checked on it, its still steady and the smell is still there. I going to let it go and might even do another burn on it this weekend.

I haven't forgot about you either, those racks of Piedmontese beef ribs are in the freezer and will be cooked probably on the 4th. As I said I am tagging ya!

Reactions: TNJAKE
Thats what I hoping to hear, thanks Jake. It was the first time I ever experienced that smell breaking a cooker in. I just checked on it, its still steady and the smell is still there. I going to let it go and might even do another burn on it this weekend.

I haven't forgot about you either, those racks of Piedmontese beef ribs are in the freezer and will be cooked probably on the 4th. As I said I am tagging ya!
Haha nice. Can't wait to see those ribs bud.

Reactions: Flatrate
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky