Charcoal Chimneys

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
When I was working I used to make them out of 8 " 16 ga. spiral duct .
I still have a small one I made last year out of 4 " . Holds about 8 pieces . I use it to light the snake , or slow burn pile .
Uh duct work is galvanized. But so are many of the cheap chimneys. Maybe that explains things?
Maybe that explains thing?

Reactions: 1MoreFord
I grill or smoke up to five times a week. I haven't been grilling as much the last couple of weeks thanks to a nasty shot of diverticulitis. I will be jumping back into the fray soon though. Need a fully functioning chimney to make things easier though.

G

Good choice staying with the Weber . For some reason I try to make it last forever . I due for a new one too .

When I was working I used to make them out of 8 " 16 ga. spiral duct .
I still have a small one I made last year out of 4 " . Holds about 8 pieces . I use it to light the snake , or slow burn pile .
View attachment 528985

Can't count the number of times I wished that I had a small one like that.

I use the snake in the kettle a lot and get by with the small Weber chimney, but a smaller chimney would be nice.

Gonna have to talk to a fabricator.

Reactions: chopsaw
Eventually the spiral cone warps and my last chimney literally had the bottom fall out full of charcoal.
After looking at mine, maybe this will work?

1648756937872.png

Reactions: Fueling Around
I’m going to try this thread before I start a new one.

I have a Big Green Egg XL, and have used Weber chimneys for years. I replace them every couple years. No big deal: they aren’t that expensive.

However, I have too many problems with stray embers burning my vinyl deck, and my wife is ready to kill me, so now I am looking for an alternative.

Can anyone recommend something that works well for starting lump charcoal in place? I am thinking about a butane torch. I had electric starters in the past, but they didn’t last long. Maybe there are better ones now?

Can anyone recommend something that works well for starting lump charcoal in place? I am thinking about a butane torch. I had electric starters in the past, but they didn’t last long. Maybe there are better ones now?
Get a weed torch. It'll get it going in short order.

As for being able to keep using the chimney... Could you just set it on the BGE's grate after you light it... ??

As for in place ... Give it a try... Pile it up and use a torch to light around the bottom edge... When lit from the top down it takes longer for it to catch on ...

What are you using to light your chimney ? ... I use the torch as I don't like the ashes from paper ...

Reactions: dwette
Can anyone recommend something that works well for starting lump charcoal in place?
Get some starter cubes . Mix in the middle and light it . They work pretty good .

I went to get a new chimney , and for $45.00 I figured I'd do another patch on my old one .
Rivets were out of the handle and the bottom was gone .
Got rid of all the bad ,
20220409_202439.jpg
20220409_204518.jpg
Saved part of the bottom cone and cut some security mesh .
20220411_110319.jpg
20220411_192423.jpg
Used SS bolts and acorn cap nuts to hold the handle .
Acually works better with the flat bottom .
Shoild be good for awhile .
20220411_192418.jpg

Get a weed torch. It'll get it going in short order.
Hey, that might kill two birds with one stone. We need to kill weeds and stuff coming out between our patio paver stones, but don’t want to use Round-Up, etc since we have a precious rescue rottie. :)

Reactions: DougE
Hey, that might kill two birds with one stone. We need to kill weeds and stuff coming out between our patio paver stones, but don’t want to use Round-Up, etc since we have a precious rescue rottie. :)
No need in using chemicals where not necessary, but if round up (or the generic glyphosate) were going to harm dogs, chickens, horses, or cattle, I'd know it. Also don't believe everything the internet has to say about it as most of it is BS by people pissed off at Monsanto.

As for being able to keep using the chimney... Could you just set it on the BGE's grate after you light it... ??

As for in place ... Give it a try... Pile it up and use a torch to light around the bottom edge... When lit from the top down it takes longer for it to catch on ...

What are you using to light your chimney ? ... I use the torch as I don't like the ashes from paper ...
I set the chimney in the BGE’s firebox when I start it. It’s when I pour the lighted lumps from the chimney into the fire box that it’s a problem. No matter how careful I try to be I make mistakes (it’s those pesky IPAs I tell ya…LOL). Some embers stick in the chimney, some smaller ones show up in the wrong place and ….ugh.

I use blank news and/or packing paper as starter fuel mostly.

I have a butane torch I’ve used for soldering thick speaker cable. Maybe I’ll try to repurpose it as a trial.

No need in using chemicals where not necessary, but if round up (or the generic glyphosate) were going to harm dogs, chickens, horses, or cattle, I'd know it. Also don't believe everything the internet has to say about it as most of it is BS by people pissed off at Monsanto.
I agree about all the Round-Up hate nonsense. I’m not a Monsanto hater or skeptic. It’s just that we really love our dogs and don’t like to take chances they’ll get sick. They’re big and don’t live long as it is, so our attitude is give them every chance possible to make each other happy longer. We’re even careful with what we use to salt our walks in winter too. It’s the better safe than sorry paranoia. A good friend is a retired Entomologist for Monsanto (Bayer) here in St. Louis. I understand the deal.

Reactions: DougE
I agree about all the Round-Up hate nonsense. I’m not a Monsanto hater or skeptic. It’s just that we really love our dogs and don’t like to take chances they’ll get sick. They’re big and don’t live long as it is, so our attitude is give them every chance possible to make each other happy longer. We’re even careful with what we use to salt our walks in winter too. It’s the better safe than sorry paranoia. A good friend is a retired Entomologist for Monsanto (Bayer) here in St. Louis. I understand the deal.
Nothing wrong with erring on the side of caution at all.

For starter I use cardboard egg cartons cut to fit the chimney. I cut a few more pieces to fit in the egg pockets. Spray lightly with cooking oil. Add a crumpled paper towel or two, also lightly sprayed with cooking oil. Insert in the bottom. Add desired amount of briquettes to the chimney. Light the carton. 20 mins later, ready to dump.

Reactions: dwette
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky