Charcoal Chimney Recommendation

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

AtomicDonkey

Original poster
Sep 30, 2019
Good morning everyone. I'm brand spanking new to the smoker world. I'm from NC so smoke food has been a way of life. So I decided I should start myself. I purchased the 18" Weber Smokey Mountain this past weekend. I'm part way through the seasoning process and was wondering what size charcoal chimney you folks would recommend?

Thank you in advance.

The Weber compact chimney works great. I use it upside down when lighting coals for the WSM since I only use 8 or so.

Welcome to the forum and smoking. I'm also smoking on a WSM just south of Raleigh.

Reactions: AtomicDonkey
Appreciate the feedback. I was planning on Weber for sure. I wasn't sure if I need the biggest one or what. I'm thinking Ill just get the bigger one.

Good morning everyone. I'm brand spanking new to the smoker world. I'm from NC so smoke food has been a way of life. So I decided I should start myself. I purchased the 18" Weber Smokey Mountain this past weekend. I'm part way through the seasoning process and was wondering what size charcoal chimney you folks would recommend?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• CHIMNEY.pdf
    309.7 KB · Views: 23
I've got the Weber Rapid Fire and it works great. If I were looking for a new one, I might consider the OK Joes Halftime starter. Looks like to does start faster and produces less smoke. Here's one comparison video:

I have both. For years and years I used the large Weber chimney for my Weber grill. But...once I bought my WSM (22.5"), and I changed to a truly longer lasting, hotter burning charcoal (R.O Ridge), I found the large chimney was overkill and less effective for starting 4-8 briquettes. I bought the small one and use it for all my low n slow beef and pork smokes. For poultry, and hot n fast, I still use the big one.

Buy both.

I've got the Weber Rapid Fire and it works great. If I were looking for a new one, I might consider the OK Joes Halftime starter. Looks like to does start faster and produces less smoke. Here's one comparison video:

Interesting. I like it. Price is competitive as well. Looks like you have to order it through Academy Sports. Would like 2 chimneys so I might order the Okie Joes to go with my Weber Chimney. Thanks for sharing the video.

Looks like you have to order it through Academy Sports.

Hmmm, I wonder if they are in short supply right now. A few weeks ago I'm pretty sure I saw them at Amazon for under $20 - today they are $36 and Ebay is selling them for as much as $45. List price is $20 so I'd wait for the price to drop again.

Gonna recommend the big one.. BUT ... they have 2 different styles.. one has a flat bottom with holes drilled/punched in it (not good)... The one you want has a wire cone shaped cage in the bottom.. This one works way better as it lets the flame get to all the charcoal on the bottom and has better air flow... The one with holes drilled/punched out is really slow to get started (no air flow)...

Gonna recommend the big one.. BUT ... they have 2 different styles.. one has a flat bottom with holes drilled/punched in it (not good)... The one you want has a wire cone shaped cage in the bottom.. This one works way better as it lets the flame get to all the charcoal on the bottom and has better air flow... The one with holes drilled/punched out is really slow to get started (no air flow)...

Good info. I need a new chimney.

Me? Buy the cheapest chimney. Current one is almost 10 years old.
I use grease soaked paper towels or newspaper to start the fire. A good shake of the chimney after the start fire burns down is my method to get uniform coals.

I start small coal fires (aka snake) with a propane torch

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky