Featured Charcoal and wood ratio

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokingLad

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 8, 2020
Guys i am about to start smoking bacon. May i ask is there something too much smoke? Will my bacin get bitter if i do too much wood or smoke? Is ther a measurement for charcoal or wood ratio? Thanks. I have here local woods jackfruit, avocado, mimosa.. have you guys tried it?

I prefer to use predryed wood like Oak, Pecan, Cherry, etc. Not that your selections of wood won't work, I rather not have wood that can ruin your smoke nor taint your pit. There is no real ratio of wood that is a standard since all pits are different. But I do say that the type of wood does make a difference. Bigger proteins like Briskets, Pork Butts, Roasts and Bellys do tend to be able to prefer harder woods like OAK, Mesquite, Hickory while light meats like Poultry, Seafood would like fruity or Alder woods. There are many videos on youtube that will give you an idea where to begin depending on your pit.

Reactions: SmokingLad
The tricks no matter which wood you use are first, the wood needs to be properly aged and have around 15% moisture content and second to adjust your vents so that the fire burns clean with an almost invisible blue smoke.
Even too much blue smoke can over flavor the meat so the cleaner the smoke the better the taste.
HIckory is best on pork IMHO.

Reactions: SmokingLad
I prefer to use predryed wood like Oak, Pecan, Cherry, etc. Not that your selections of wood won't work, I rather not have wood that can ruin your smoke nor taint your pit. There is no real ratio of wood that is a standard since all pits are different. But I do say that the type of wood does make a difference. Bigger proteins like Briskets, Pork Butts, Roasts and Bellys do tend to be able to prefer harder woods like OAK, Mesquite, Hickory while light meats like Poultry, Seafood would like fruity or Alder woods. There are many videos on youtube that will give you an idea where to begin depending on your pit.
Does meat get bitter if i put too much wood or smoke?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky