Char Siu Redemption

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chef willie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 31, 2010
Willamette Valley, Oregon
My first run of Char Siu was a disappointment to me 2 years ago so took another run at it using real ingredients, not a pre-mixed concoction. Took 2 pounds of pork butt, trimmed most of the exterior fat off and butterflied the big pieces to get more surface area for the marinade, marinated overnight in a zip-lock then let the butt air dry on a rack to set the marinade some while preparing the smoker. Used a small amount of apple wood and ran the smoker at 250 for about 2 hours to hit 150 IT, then foiled the pieces tight and stuck them in the microwave to rest for an hour. Sliced thin on the bias and served with some Chinese Hot Mustard. I did use some red food coloring but it didn't show with using the smoker. The taste was great, pork very tender and juicy even at room temperature nibbling with beers. I believe next time I will use the grill to get more of a roasted, slightly charred effect.

love the disposable foil grate liners...clean-ups a snap

after the foiled rest

melt in the mouth thicker slices

Willie, morning.... I've made it a couple times and haven't found a recipe that is even close to the stuff you get in a restaurant....    Are you closing in on the flavor ???    

Dave

Willie, morning.... I've made it a couple times and haven't found a recipe that is even close to the stuff you get in a restaurant....    Are you closing in on the flavor ???  

Dave
Maybe that's a good thing? Truthfully, I believe most restaurants now use purchased CS from a vendor or, if making themselves will use the short cut of a packaged mix, far from the original method. The ingredients I used, given to me by a SMF member years ago, is spot on with ingredients listed in many recipes on Chinese food websites. I could not find Chinese Rose wine so left it out. Some use pork loin, I chose butt (which I had on hand). I'm thinking a tenderloin could also be used, which might be closer to a restaurant type slice. Here's my marinade, I doubled everything. My Asian store owner never heard of the Rose wine?? but he's Thai, I believe.

1 lb pork butt, cut into four pieces (cutting it up rather than leaving it whole gives more surface area for the marinade)

3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped

Char Siu Sauce

1 1/2 Tbs Maltose, (This can be found in a Chinese store)

1 1/2 Tbs honey

1 1/2 Tbs Hoisin Sauce

1 1/2 Tbs Soy sauce, light *

1 Tbs Chinese Rose Wine (This too can be bought in a Chinese store)

3 dashes of white pepper

3 drops of red food coloring

1/2 tsp Chinese five spice

1/2 tsp Sesame oil

* Dark soy sauce will over power the Rose Wine.

Add all ingredients of the Char Siu sauce, except the Sesame oil, in a sauce pan and heat, stirring until all ingredients are blended, do not boil, I use my Thermapen and take it to 180°.

Remove from heat and let cool, stir in the Sesame oil at this time.

When cool marinate pork chunks with the garlic over night in the fridge.

Hey Bill,

Your Char Siu looks great! I find the more natural color of yours to be way better looking than the chemical red at the restaurants. Glad you are happier with your results than what you made 2 years ago..

Where did you get those disposable foil grate liners? Whatever you are using should also work in my ST, and I'd love to buy some and try them out!

Great pictures and process! Thanks for sharing!
Clarissa

Thanks Willie....   I'll put that in the bucket....  I just pulled a 15# belly out of the freezer...   I think I will try that recipe on the ends I trim from the belly to square it up....  Char Sui belly should be good enough for me...  

cold beer, hot mustard, toasted seeds and Willies Char Sui........  
yahoo.gif

Dave

That's some good looking Char Siu, Willie. The color of the sliced meat looks perfect.

Like you, I use pork butt which I think is perfect for the dish. Belly is also good, but I avoid loin or tenderloin as they're too lean.

Your ingredient list is pretty similar to mine, but I also add some minced or grated onion and ginger. Chinese Rose wine is considered China's brandy, which is what I use for a substitute. Some also use Shaoxing wine, sherry, or even bourbon for a substitute. Also, when Maltose isn't readily available I just substitute the amount called for with additional good quality natural honey.

For those concerned about the red food dye, I've found that some fermented red bean curd is a good substitute. It adds another nice layer of flavor and brightens things up a bit, though it won't look as cosmic as when done with the dye.

I smoke the Char Siu to around 120 IT then go to the grill or oven to set the glaze and finish at 140-145 IT

Hey Bill,

Your Char Siu looks great! I find the more natural color of yours to be way better looking than the chemical red at the restaurants. Glad you are happier with your results than what you made 2 years ago..

Where did you get those disposable foil grate liners? Whatever you are using should also work in my ST, and I'd love to buy some and try them out!

Great pictures and process! Thanks for sharing!
Clarissa
Thx Clarissa.....I used an envelope of NOH my first time around and will use it NO more (LMAO). Home Depot carries the grate liners, over by the ques and wood chunks. 12 bucks for 12, easily cut down and can be flipped if frugal <grin>

Thanks Willie....   I'll put that in the bucket....  I just pulled a 15# belly out of the freezer...   I think I will try that recipe on the ends I trim from the belly to square it up....  Char Sui belly should be good enough for me...

cold beer, hot mustard, toasted seeds and Willies Char Sui........  
yahoo.gif

Dave
Yeah baby...now you're talkin'. Some recipes I read in my research used belly so give us an update when you do it.

That's some good looking Char Siu, Willie. The color of the sliced meat looks perfect.

Like you, I use pork butt which I think is perfect for the dish. Belly is also good, but I avoid loin or tenderloin as they're too lean.

Your ingredient list is pretty similar to mine, but I also add some minced or grated onion and ginger. Chinese Rose wine is considered China's brandy, which is what I use for a substitute. Some also use Shaoxing wine, sherry, or even bourbon for a substitute. Also, when Maltose isn't readily available I just substitute the amount called for with additional good quality natural honey.

For those concerned about the red food dye, I've found that some fermented red bean curd is a good substitute. It adds another nice layer of flavor and brightens things up a bit, though it won't look as cosmic as when done with the dye.

I smoke the Char Siu to around 120 IT then go to the grill or oven to set the glaze and finish at 140-145 IT
Thx for the kind words and the tips. I will refer to those next time around. Fruit cake time is approaching so brandy will be readily at hand. I was just at Costco and saw their Shanghai Pork (char siu) at 5.99 a pound and it sure looked like a tenderloin in the package. I did use loin last time and it was not what I was looking for in the final product....butt is much better IMO. Belly, I think, would be to fatty. I've got enough Maltose for about 6 more batches...lol....that is some sticky stuff.

Looks great Willie. I have a couple char Sui recipes that I have been wanting to try but haven't yet.

Clarissa you can find the foil trays like that at the dollar store also. I bought 4 packs of there last year.

Thx Clarissa.....I used an envelope of NOH my first time around and will use it NO more (LMAO). Home Depot carries the grate liners, over by the ques and wood chunks. 12 bucks for 12, easily cut down and can be flipped if frugal

Yeah baby...now you're talkin'. Some recipes I read in my research used belly so give us an update when you do it.

Looks great Willie. I have a couple char Sui recipes that I have been wanting to try but haven't yet.

Clarissa you can find the foil trays like that at the dollar store also. I bought 4 packs of there last year.

Thank you for the info, guys!!

Looks good, I use my Char Siu Marinade on Ribs all the time come out great...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky