Char Siu Pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
CHAR SIU PORK

Fresh out of a 48 hour marinade.
20220610_172539.jpg

First I grill to get some char and when it's just about done I bring it back to the kitchen and into some thickened marinade sauce and get a good glaze on it.

20220610_181114(0).jpg

The finished meat, looks so good.

20220610_182237.jpg

Some Sesame Garlic Green Beans with Onion for a side dish, and rice of course.

20220610_182158.jpg

The Finale

20220610_183007.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, what a glaze! Was it hard not to burn it? That’s my bane with glazes.
Yes, care and attention while on the grill is a must.
It's so easy to burn a sauce that has so much sugar in it, and it can happen quickly.
I start with a high heat on one side to get the grates hot for a good sear / char mark. And alternate high and low heat sides during the cook as I turn the meat.
Once done on the grill and it's back into the kitchen and a large skillet full of pre-thickened sauce for a final glazing.
That part is easy to control.

Fire. Enough said
Awesome .
Love it, I need it in my life.
Love it, I need to start making my own Asian sauce, been cheating as of late, but it works. RAY
Just five star work and a beautiful plate. It’s a perfect example of the many gorgeous meals you have posted that inspired me to up my game.
Thanks guys, glad y'all like it.
A good char siu sauce goes well on so many meats, really tasty stuff.
My gang went through 8lbs of pork butt CSR meat, and didn't leave enough for fried rice tomorrow... Bummer... Gotta make more.

• Love
Reactions: negolien
Chili... Hope I'm not buttin' in here...

[B]justpassingthru[/B] shared his recipe back in 2011... He had cancer awhile back... I haven't heard if he passed or what..

Here's to remembering justpasssingthru AKA Thailand Phil....

Wow!

NW Dave's suggestion for my Char Siu recipe has generated a few PM's.

Here's the recipe for all of you that might want to try it, those that received a PM will see I just copied and pasted and changed the pertinent geographical info (it got kinda busy for awhile here). LOL

I used pork butt, but I sure it would work with any cut of pork and thanks Dave for the chicken idea, that will be something new for me to try.

I would be happy to share the Char Siu recipe with you.

Here's my Char Siu, it's Cantonese style because that is the style of Chinese cooking I grew up with in California.

Char Siu

1 pound pork shoulder cut into 1 1/2" x 1/2" strips (smaller pieces=more marinade)

1 1/2 Tbls maltose

1 1/2 Tbls honey

1/1/2 Tbls Hoisin sauce

1 Tbls Rosewater wine

3 dashes white pepper

a couple of drops of red food coloring (I leave this out, it doesn't affect the taste)

1/2 tsp Chinese five spice

1/2 tsp Sesame oil

Combine all ingredient, except sesame oil, in a saucepan and heat to 180°, remove from heat and stir in sesame oil, allow to cool to room temp.

When cool place in baggie with pork and marinate over night.

When I first started making this I had so many requests for it that I made up to 3 pounds at a time, all I did is just multiply the recipe by three, so if you want to make more than one pound just multiply by the pounds of pork you are using.

You can buy the maltose and rosewater wine in a Chinese specialty store (they are staples in Chinese cooking), around here we have one on every corner, I don't know what you might have in your area.

The maltose is super sticky, I nuke it in the microwave 15 seconds to make it more manageable (you'll see), I use my Thermapen for heating to 180° because the honey breaks down after that and the rosewater loses it's delicate flavor. When it's time to cook I just take it out of the baggie, no rinsing and cook, most of the sweetness cooks out and leaves the flavor of the other ingredients, at first I smoked it, then I cooked it in the smoker without smoke (authentic Char Siu isn't smoked, just BBQ'd), then I became impatient and Q'd it on the Genesis, if you do it this way, be sure and grill it indirect, ...direct grilling produces small lumps of carbon, I cook to an internal of 140°-145° (now I read that this temp has been approved).

This recipe is super simple and super easy, everyone that has tried my Char Siu has really liked it and suggested I should sell it, I just don't have the time, ...they cook it Saturday night and sell it Sunday mornings by the tons at the farmer's market.

I hope you enjoy it.

Gene

Wow John!! That pork looks amazing and it seems as though the flavors just jumped off the screen. What amazing color on that stuff and a grand meal all around. Sure is great to see you spending a bit of time here my friend. You've been missed.

Please tell your wife that the fried rice looks equally as fantastic. I'd be all over a huge platter of that!!

Robert

Wow John!! That pork looks amazing and it seems as though the flavors just jumped off the screen. What amazing color on that stuff and a grand meal all around. Sure is great to see you spending a bit of time here my friend. You've been missed.

Please tell your wife that the fried rice looks equally as fantastic. I'd be all over a huge platter of that!!

Robert
Thanks Robert,
LOL... the Fried rice is my doing too, lunch for my younger son and I.

• Love
Reactions: negolien
Very late to this party, but glad I found it! Oh man that is off the charts! Unbelievable. I can’t wait to do this! You always deliver next level😃

Reactions: chilerelleno
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky