Char-Griller Smokin Pro with firebox- Mods

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'll get some pics tomorrow.

I may have a design flaw, but i wouldn't no for sure. The stainless plate runs about 4" below the grates and just about at football cutout height on the SFB and Grill connection. Is that distance from grate to reverse flow plate to much? Is the object to get the heat/smoke to run at and over the meat, or is above and below okay, or ?? (charcoal newbie yammering!)
icon_redface.gif

Ted

After my initial burn-in. Here are pics of my reverse flow mod w/ stainless, as well as second stack addition:

Gap on non-SFB side:

Close-up of Gap non-SFB side:

Attached to SFB side using SFB nuts/bolts (note about 4" space between stainless and grates. Not sure if to much:

Looking in from SFB:

Twin Stack Mod:

Inside Twin Stack Mod (will be extending down closer to grates):

Any comments of thoughts?

Thanks,

Ted

So how does it cook? I'd like to try something like that only removable so I can do some grilling too. Thanks for the pics. Curious too about cooking temps and fuel consumption increase or decrease. I've got some silicone gasket on the way for the lid but how that is going to turn out remains to be seen.

First cook will be on Sunday. Got the 3" flex for stack down to grate and used angle iron for charcoal basket. Ready to rock and roll!
PDT_Armataz_01_41.gif

Details and Pron to follow!

Can't wait to hear!! I ordered the 2nd stack last year with intent to do a removable reverse-flow, but decided to forego it. The stack is still in the box...

I'm VERY interested to hear how it works, particularly the fuel consumption.

I found it is not good to grill in your Chargriller once it is seasoned. You burn off all your beutifull seasoning with the high heat - did that the 2nd week I had mine... lol. So went onto Craigslist and picked up a Weber Kettle for $25 and use that for my high heat cooking.
biggrin.gif

Very true. I was drawn to the CG because it gave me some different cooking options. But watching that seasoning go up in smoke is not so fun.

Sorry for the late post of Pron!

Here are some baby backs on their final hour, along with Dutch's Wicked Beans:

and my (3) new River Country thermo's (1-2" and 2-3"). Reverse flow does a great job of keeping the right and left pretty well in balance:

Very please with the Char-Griller. Now I have a Primo XL on the way to get into the ceramic world also!
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

Ted

Here are some mods I did to my pro.

First one here is the vent extension

dsc00923vy.jpg
dsc00923vy.jpg

These are the SFB with the Lowes Basket
dsc00919a.jpg

dsc00922a.jpg

Dual [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Thermometers[/font] at grate level
dsc00918o.jpg

Vent extension with rain guard
dsc00924mj.jpg

Warthog,

Looking sweet! One more recommendation - Ditch that worthless Char-Griller mid-thermometer. I put in this:

e9a4_12.jpg

Ted

Yep, saw that. I only did mine for balance, not neccessary by any means. I tend to go overboard!!

hi all, just want to make sure i'm in harmony with my CG.... when i first bring it to temp (deflector, tuning plates, heck all available mods) the temp is within 5 degrees from one side to the other. after loading it with meats depending on how much of the grill surface is covered ie one butt or 3, the temps get all out of wack from side to side up to 30 degrees different. is this normal?

I was dead on without food and once i put it in... off by 25 degrees left to right. Funny thing is, with my reverse flow setup, it is the non-SFB side that is hoter. I am going to drill some oval shaped holes between mid point and right SFB side, place a sliding tuning plate and adjust accordingly.

I am not using any baffles but do have the charcoal grate flipped over. I get about a 15 degree difference with the right side being hotter then the left.
I do have the vent mod installed.

I do the same thing... and since I usually have a mix of stuff on I use the hotter side to my advantage. Things like ribs and butts go on the cooler side. Chicken, sausage, ABT's get the heat..... and the upper rack is reserved for Dutche's Baked Beans
biggrin.gif

I have found any easy fix. I place a large alluminum pan with water up next to the chamber from the fire box. (Under the smoking grill) This helps redistribute the flames and keeps them from scorching any meat close to that end of the grill. You have to keep checking the water level though, but it works well for me.

i got the last turkey fryer at wally mart for $20, and had to try it for that price. about 4 to 7 smokes in, it always has tbs, super fast heatup and easy temp control. this weekend will be my seventh with the new setup and my better half now enthusiastically endorses the lighter (less black bark) smoke. i should add here that she and i nearyly have to fight over appetizers and fatty stuffings. it took several smokes to come up with the best way for smoke generation, and wood seemingly lasts forever, one cut up piece about the size of your forearm for a 9 hour smoke. my smoking pro already had ALL of the mods prior, so a little work with tin snips and a hack saw did the trick. this forum is a blessing to all aspiring smokers.
icon_smile.gif
thank you, ben

Over 2 years since this thread was started and 160 posts later, I never would have thought it would still be going strong.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky