Char-Griller Smokin Pro with firebox- Mods

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Cool. Campfire dutch oven I assume? You explore the different cooking
techniques like I do. Love cooking different styles. Would love to know
more about dutch oven cooking someday.

Thanks for your info.

Mojo

So here's a few. The hangar bracket made from a nail, and the mod to the shelf bracket. Of course, after taking these I painted it all black. Odds are good that I'll simply replace the stock bracket with angle iron to increase stability, but in the meantime the folding shelves are in business!

We need more pictures of the completed shelf mod. I love the idea but I am having a hard time visualizing what this will look like done.

It's done. here are some more pics.First, here's the front shelf pics. I added some angle iron to stabilize it, but what you see here shows how it works.

Now the side shelf. I simply added hinges and built a mount for the wood from angle iron, and that sits right atop the new folding 'wings' (the bolts slide into the holes on the wings, keeping it locked into place). The angle iron is threaded, 1/4-20, to hold the wood pieces.

And here's the side shelf, stowed:

For those of you thinking about getting a Char-griller Pro 800, Lowe's has them on sale for Father's Day. The main body is on sale for $99 (down from $139, and the side firebox is $69 (no sale there
PDT_Armataz_01_17.gif
). Still $40 bucks saved can buy you two racks of Costco ribs and a nice shoulder or butt roast
icon_lol.gif

JI, got mine yesterday - I asked the guy and he offered to assemble it for free.
icon_lol.gif

PLUS< for 10 bucks, I got a yr replacement warranty - he said just bring it back next year and get a new one. Of course with the mods, i doubt that would happen, but..... for 10 bucks, if I don't like it - whamo.

Thanks guy! Brad in Kentucky.

Yesterday, due to the rumors of a "Fattie Throwdown" Immediately started mods on my SmokinPro. I wasted a bit of dryer duct, mainly because I forgot it extends... so In all wasted about a dollars worth of aluminum...

After extending, flexing, trimming and feeling dumb... and a little tipsy

The charcoal basket was simple enough, once I found my dad's grinder. I cut the expanded steel to 12"x20", measured in 4" from both sides (the "Long" way) and then ground grooves to make bending easier. It was'nt that easy. Had to superglue my finger back together. But still doable by hand.

I then cut my largest remaining scrap in half, giving me perfect 4"x12" side pannels, for a basket 12X12X4, Which is about the largest thing you can easily wedge through that little firebox door.

Today I stitch the coalbasket tothether with clothes hangers, and make a baffle out of a cookie sheet, which I will doccument and post.

I reverse flowed a NewBraunsfeld RedRiver,with a baffle plate(stainless) and it works great,here's a shot of the baffle,maybe you can see the plan well enough?

anyhow, I hope this helps,I know it's not a Char,but it's the same design...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SMOKE HAPPY
Stan aka bbqfans
tongue.gif

A lot of people use the Charbroil shaker basket found at Lowes. You will need some way to mount it above the ash drawer. Some use threaded rods & hang it from the rails that support the cooking grates in the SFB. Others have cut pieces of angle brace so they wedge against the sides fo the SFB above the drawer then sit the basket on top.

Another option is expanded metal. Lowes or HD normally have 24" x 24" sheets that can be cut & bent into a basket. Again you will need some way to keep it above the ash drawer. Do a seach & you will find lots of info.

i bought my charcoal basket from a second hand shop. it looked like it was a chest freezer basket for a small chest freezer. i had to burn the plastic coating off before i put it in my fire box but it fits perfectly and holds a lot of fuel with no warpage

I am in the process of modding my Super Pro w/ SFB to be reverse flow. Adding a 26.5" stainless plate to be attached onto firebox nuts/bolts. I left about 3" on the non-SFB side for the heat/smoke to begin its reverse flow. Quesiton is in regards to smoke stack. Can I just use the vent pipe trick and go across the top of the grill and down the other side near grate level, or do I really need to move the stack to the SFB side?

Thanks,

Ted

my only hesitation on moving the smoke stack is .... will the cover fit if spun backwards to accommodate the stack covering? or is the protrusion of the front shelf problematic?

Thanks!

Answered my own question by getting a cover at Lowes and trying. Doesn't work real well on backwards. I assumed the sides where the same, but the firebox pullout on the cover is much bigger than the side for the side shelf.

So is reverse mod worth it on this or not? As seen here:

http://users.wbsnet.org/n0yk/charbroil silver.htm (not my idea, or grill)

Thanks,

Ted

Smoke it if you got it!!
icon_cool.gif

Nice work my friend, you're really working at getting the most out of your smoker. It's all good.

I think not. I even went as far as to order a second smokestack, so that I could have a sort of "reverse-flow at will" arrangement. But after some months of use, I've decided that the CGSP would need to be far better insulated to make reverse-flow a good idea.

My seasoning/burn-off run went well. Got temps up in the 250-275F area with my stainless reverse flow plate, completely sealing all but 3" on the opposite side of the SFB. Used a full Weber chimney starter and a couple pieces of sasafrass. Second smoke stack is in exact opposite location on the grill lid. Temps were 10F less in the center and 15F less at the far end.

Hopefully Sunday I will get my first smoke on my new smoker!

Quick question. I cannot find my tape measure. Cans someone tell me how big the stock thermometer is on the Char-Grill Super Pro? Man, you guys aren't kidding when you say it is off. Like 100F off!! Any recommendations on brand/type? Should I install on on either end with nothing in the middle, or ??

Thanks,
Ted

I used the 3" River Country thermos at grate level as recommended in some of the CG mods running around. There is a pdf link on page 5 of this thread to give you an idea of what I did to mine only a little lower. You can find the thermos on Ebay and I got the nicer RC version. Post some pics of your plate if you can. I've been thinking about doing the same thing. Working on these grills is almost as fun as eating the experiments.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky