Chain Bbq restaurants.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Not local to me but I got stuck in Texas and went to Rudy's and dang good eats for a chain so they CAN have good cue. We used to have a chain here called Damon's that had excellent ribs. Also had this onion loaf appetizer that was killer. Kid you not, office birthday for me today and I am CRAVING Damon's. Been gone 10-15 years now. I went to a contest one time and another chain called Tony Romas was there and their ribs were very similar to Damons with the grilled finish.
I think Rudy's is excellent. For some reason, Facebook groups ridicule it. I suspect, though, that is because people are afraid to speak up. You know, the playground mentality that you will get ridiculed and bullied for saying it is good.

Reactions: zwiller
Famous Dave's and Dickey's here.

I go to Dickey's for the ice cream, I'm literally 300 yards from one in my office now. Damned ice cream machine was down last time I was there too.

I go to Famous Dave's for the cornbread (which can be bought as a mix at the store)

I make better BBQ meats than they do.
The Dick's at Dallas Love Field has respectable brisket, I think.

Not sure about chain places .
I really don't go out for BBQ .
We have Pappy's that people rave about , and the line forms early . I've never had it , but have bought the sauce at the store . Didn't care for the sauce at all .

There's a place called Eythel's Smokehouse . Gets a lot of attention . Ate there once . The brisket came out chopped and sauced .
I thought to myself " this is gonna suck " and It did .
Never ate there again .

Sugarfire BBQ is local , but I think they might be trying to branch out . I think they sell the sauce online . The sauces I really like . I know they have 3 stores in town now .
I have had it at parties . The brisket is good . PP ,, I didn't care for .
The smoked turkey was out of this world good .

It's hard to judge them against things we do , because of the volume they do and the time frame it's done in .

Reactions: sawhorseray
Not sure about chain places .
I really don't go out for BBQ .
We have Pappy's that people rave about , and the line forms early . I've never had it , but have bought the sauce at the store . Didn't care for the sauce at all .

There's a place called Eythel's Smokehouse . Gets a lot of attention . Ate there once . The brisket came out chopped and sauced .
I thought to myself " this is gonna suck " and It did .
Never ate there again .

Sugarfire BBQ is local , but I think they might be trying to branch out . I think they sell the sauce online . The sauces I really like . I know they have 3 stores in town now .
I have had it at parties . The brisket is good . PP ,, I didn't care for .
The smoked turkey was out of this world good .

It's hard to judge them against things we do , because of the volume they do and the time frame it's done in .
Did a comp in cape Girardeau feb 2019 sponsored by smokin brothers. They had sugarfire cater burnt ends and turkey for all the competitors. Turkey was the bomb. Burnt ends were terrible. Cool guys though. We got to hang out with the owner and they tought bbq classes to the spectators while we cooked

Reactions: chopsaw
Turkey was the bomb
Jake , that was the best smoked turkey I had ever had .
It made me rethink how to do it , and what they did . I come real close to it now and get really good feed back when I make it .

Reactions: zwiller
yep.. Dickies out here in AZ. Its OK...Same with Famous Dave's I think...There's a few BBQ joints I've been to here and their stuff is..well...OK. Some stuff I like and some I didn't. Most times when I order brisket half of it is un-rendered fat, and the pulled pork is mushy as all hell.

Full disclosure I have not been to top tier joints like the one's in TX or KC or TN...but I would like to think I can make it at home better. It's been years since I have gone out for BBQ and I would totally be willing to try em all again.

Another Admission: I did go to Rudy's a while back when in the Houston area. Certainly better than the Dickies and Famous Dave's chains that's for sure. My heart wasn't in it because I told my host, Houston local, "find me the best hole in the wall or TX Monthly joint in Houston"....and he took me to Rudy's.

Last edited:
Jake , that was the best smoked turkey I had ever had .
It made me rethink how to do it , and what they did . I come real close to it now and get really good feed back when I make it .
The turkey we had at Rudy's in TX was the best I ever had. Definitely a brine or injection and my guess is they add a little bbq sauce to it. Just ran some grilled chicken for the 4th and did this and was promising. I actually have a Omak style formula but wife wanted me out of the kitchen so I had to just eyeball it.

Reactions: chopsaw
Living in the Memphis TN area we have BBQ places on every corner. Heck there are guys in parking lots with a cheap cooker that puts out some great BBQ.
Jim

As my cooking experience and understanding of the why's of technique grew over the decades, we became less satisfied with the price/enjoyment/taste value of eating out. "Your _____ is better than this" became a frequent phrase of hers.Then finally, "Okay, your cooking has ruined the experience of going to a restaurant for me."
Ain't it funny how that works out? A few years ago my girlfriend told my Mom that she has had the best food of her life since she met me. That was one of the greatest compliments I've ever got!

Plus when I show up with a new cooker, toy, tool, I always let her know I got it for us.

Ain't it funny how that works out? A few years ago my girlfriend told my Mom that she has had the best food of her life since she met me. That was one of the greatest compliments I've ever got!

Plus when I show up with a new cooker, toy, tool, I always let her know I got it for us.
Yep! Agree 100%.And, wow, what a compliment.

If any of you have a son about to go to college or university, make DANG sure he knows how to cook really well, and not just outdoor smoking and grilling. "I'd like to make you dinner" will become his favorite 6 words.

The old misogynistic saying, "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach" actually works both ways. Trust me on this.

I tried Dicky's and Waldo's here in AZ before the pandemic. Both times I ordered spareribs, both times they came FOTB slopped in sauce, which any moron can pull off. I've been food poisoned a few times in my life, but never from eating at home, and that's where I'll do my eating. RAY

I travel a good bit for work and like BBQ.

Dickey’s can be decent if you know what you are getting into.
I see it as, “Do I want to got to Chipotle or Dickey’s?”

City is good and consistent.

Mission is good although they were using too much celery salt in their rub for a while.

Sonnys would impress me more if it was more of a fast food place but I have always expected more from a sit down joint.

Unless I am hitting the drive-thru
Then it’s pretty good for drive-thru bbq 😬

Reactions: MJB05615
Sonny’s……..Nicknamed by the locals as Scummys. It is easy enough to make good BBQ. Still they fail. About a dozen restaurants near me and I always drive right past. Mr Tillman sold his business and now it is just that. A business.

Near Gainesville there is a has station that has excellent BBQ. Called Pearls. Some of my wedding’s food came from there.

In the Sacramento area there is no such thing as a good "chain" BBQ restaurant. A chain place called Lucille's was decent for a while. We'd take friends and family there, including club dinners. 20-30 people at times.

Then it went to cacapoopoo. Drinks became like water, portion sizes shrunk, and the smoke disappeared. As did my dollars from their registers. Same with my friends. I suspect some corporate group bought them and initiated cost-cutting measures. It's a short drive from my house I haven't made in years. I did my own cost-cutting.
The Lucille's by me went under too. Used to be tasty stuff.

Seems to be common in a lot of business...they hook you with the quality product then make it cheaper. Ezra Brooks bourbon is the latest disappointment in my life.

"I did my own cost-cutting"...great line Ray!!

Reactions: noboundaries
35 years ago I lived in San Antonio and there were
tons of Bill Miller BBQ joints.From what I can remember the food was ok.
I was just in Texas and Bill Miller BBQ places were everywhere. They were almost as numerous as Whataburger.

We have Lucille's in our area. It's ok but I'm not really into the big chain places. We also used to Have Dickey's which used to be good but they got a new owner and turned to shit and close down.

Went to Mission the other day as I wanted some brisket. What a waste of money. No bark whatsoever and the meat had no smoke taste. Cost me over $20 for the meat, side and a drink. Not doing that again.

Now I will say, if you are in Richmond Va, you must go to ZZQ. Some of the best Texas style que you will ever have. Look them up on the web. Will definitely make your mouth water.

I like the Buddys BBQ for a fix when I don't have time, Saturdays is AYCE ribs for $10-$12 maybe, I like their chili with a small pulled pork sandwich for a lunch. FD and sonnys no thanks, Calhoun's to much $$ for me lol I did take the wife there for mothers day this year, decent food $$ but she is well worth a lot more.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky