Chain Bbq restaurants.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
No chain bbq restaurants where I live. Gotta drive north about 1hr 30min to Branson, Missouri to find a chain.
Other than that, a few locally owned ma and paw bbq places. Nothing to brag about….to me. However, some people (the non bbq smoker weekend warriors) tend to like the places.
I must say I am biased. I and my family love my bbq. Hands down. My oldest brother has told me numerous times he can spot me the cash for a food truck. Told him no, but thanks, I enjoy smoking and grilling for family and friends!

And SMF has taught me so much! I appreciate you all!

Here in NJ there is a place called big Ed's BBQ - Not bad, Their claim to fame is all you can eat ribs for $20. can mix/match styles sauces and rubs as long as you are still sitting at the table. Obviously par-boiled but still tasty enough for a night out with a couple buds.

When i was in Arlington, Was taken to this one place, Heim BBQ. That was mighty good to a northerner like me. Their burnt ends just melted into my mouth - no need to chew at all.......

Here in Ga there's Sonny's which is fair most of the time. Dickey's too, we don't like that place. But the best BBQ I've ever had in a Restaurant is a place called Old Clinton House BBQ. It's located not too far from Macon in Jones County. It's one of those places that looks terrible from the outside, so the food has to be good. They opened a second one in Milledgeville a few years ago. I've gone an hour out of my way to go there on occasion. Pulled Pork and Ribs are great.

Wow, what an interesting topic. Something I have discussed a bit with friends and coworkers. In Central FL we have Bubalous Bodacious BBQ and 4 Rivers Smokehouse as local chains.

Bubalous -- hot garbage. I'd rather have a protein shake than any of the protein they purport is BBQ. A number of the locations have closed over the last couple of years. A lot of the locals act like it's a tragedy, but it is plainly obvious why they're closing - they just aren't good.

4 Rivers - OK, but not worth the money. I have heard their original location is really good, but the subsequent locations that has made them into a local chain have been just OK.

I have said often I can put out better Q in my back yard than any of the local chains serve. It's reassuring to read many others have the same thoughts regarding their local chains!

About the closest thing to a Chain BBQ restaurant around here is McDonald's when they're selling the McRib sandwich. We do have a couple locals that open up and give it a go, but they don't last very long.

Chris

About the closest thing to a Chain BBQ restaurant around here is McDonald's when they're selling the McRib sandwich. We do have a couple locals that open up and give it a go, but they don't last very long.

Chris
Chris gave the exact answer as what we have around here!!
BBQ??? Huh?--Wot Dat ??

Bear

We used to have a Famous Dave's and a Whitt's. They both sucked and closed. The big one around here is Calhoun's. Pulled pork is nothing to brag about but not bad, ribs are ok, great sides. They have the best BBQ sauce I have ever eaten. Tried to replicate it but no luck so far. Another is a fast food type joint Buddy's BBQ. Ok for a quick $6 lunch.

My problem is I compare all of the BBQ to stuff I and my friends make. Not bragging but I think I smoke better meats most of the time than these joints. Several of you have said it but backyard pulled pork is probably the best you can get.

We used to have a Famous Dave's and a Whitt's. They both sucked and closed. The big one around here is Calhoun's. Pulled pork is nothing to brag about but not bad, ribs are ok, great sides. They have the best BBQ sauce I have ever eaten. Tried to replicate it but no luck so far. Another is a fast food type joint Buddy's BBQ. Ok for a quick $6 lunch.

My problem is I compare all of the BBQ to stuff I and my friends make. Not bragging but I think I smoke better meats most of the time than these joints. Several of you have said it but backyard pulled pork is probably the best you can get.
images (12).jpeg

Where I am at in Southern Michigan the closest thing we have to a chain is Applebee's. We do have some local places that try to say they are the best.

One place, on the menu they carry on about their ribs being slow smoked in the pit and yadda yadda. I knew a guy who work there for a bit and he told me they were baked in an oven, and when ordered they quickly did a reheat and sauce on the grill. Another funny part about it was I ordered a full slab of baby backs, and got about a half rack of spares. Spares are not even on the menu.

Another place that always gets voted best in the county, had a location here in town that closed some years ago and I can see why. Went there once while it was still open about 15 years ago. It was awful. The other location is still going. Maybe they changed things, I don't know, if I get that way one day I might give them another shot but won't expect much.

One place thats a good solid hour away has billboards along I-94 saying either they are the best in Michigan, or they were voted the best in Michigan. Went there a couple years ago, easy to tell the ribs were boiled, the brisket was like a rubber glove, the chicken was so dry I almost choked. And it wasn't cheap.

Honestly these are just a small example of why I don't eat out very much, BBQ or anything, I can do better at home.

One place, on the menu they carry on about their ribs being slow smoked in the pit and yadda yadda. I knew a guy who work there for a bit and he told me they were baked in an oven, and when ordered they quickly did a reheat and sauce on the grill.

Most chain restaurants that aren't specifically bbq that offer ribs do it this way. They'll go in a pan with some seasoning, water, and liquid smoke. Then they'll sauce them to hell when they serve them to cover their sins.

Not local to me but I got stuck in Texas and went to Rudy's and dang good eats for a chain so they CAN have good cue. We used to have a chain here called Damon's that had excellent ribs. Also had this onion loaf appetizer that was killer. Kid you not, office birthday for me today and I am CRAVING Damon's. Been gone 10-15 years now. I went to a contest one time and another chain called Tony Romas was there and their ribs were very similar to Damons with the grilled finish.

We have Famous Dave's and Dickies here. I always enjoy Dave's even though I generally get their Catfish Fingers and not BBQ. Dickies is a disappointment except for onion straws and large ice tea.

Honestly these are just a small example of why I don't eat out very much, BBQ or anything, I can do better at home.
Agreed!

My wife grew up in a house where eating out was only for special events. She loved that I took her to restaurants when we were dating in ancient times.

As my cooking experience and understanding of the why's of technique grew over the decades, we became less satisfied with the price/enjoyment/taste value of eating out. "Your _____ is better than this" became a frequent phrase of hers.Then finally, "Okay, your cooking has ruined the experience of going to a restaurant for me."

One reason there will NEVER be a good chain BBQ place in California is the food exhaust emission laws. Example? If you can smell bread driving past a bakery, they are breaking the law. Bbq and smoke? Fergitaboutit. System costs are $80k‐$100k. Annual maintenance is almost as expensive.

Reactions: Flatrate
One reason there will NEVER be a good chain BBQ place in California is the food exhaust emission laws. Example? If you can smell bread driving past a bakery, they are breaking the law. Bbq and smoke? Fergitaboutit.

Wait, are you serious? Holy crap.

When I was in the middle east there was a very large snack factory next to our facility. Smelled great when it was popcorn making day

More dittos. Already was ruined for most Italian restaurants (my mother was born in Italy, and lived to cook and dote over us kids), now for most things.

From the bulk of these responses, I guess am lucky to have that Red, Hot, and Blue for when I’m in Raleigh and the moons align to stop in. They do a respectable job with Memphis style dry rub (at least at their one remaining Raleigh location).

Reactions: Flatrate
More dittos. Already was ruined for most Italian restaurants (my mother was born in Italy, and lived to cook and dote over us kids), now for most things.

From the bulk of these responses, I guess am lucky to have that Red, Hot, and Blue for when I’m in Raleigh and the moons align to stop in. They do a respectable job with Memphis style dry rub (at least at their one remaining Raleigh location).
I like Sam Jones and prime in raleigh

Famous Dave's and Dickey's here.

I go to Dickey's for the ice cream, I'm literally 300 yards from one in my office now. Damned ice cream machine was down last time I was there too.

I go to Famous Dave's for the cornbread (which can be bought as a mix at the store)

I make better BBQ meats than they do.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky