Chain Bbq restaurants.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kevin Braker

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 21, 2018
How many of these are in your area of the country? Are they good/bad/ugly?
I will go first
City BBQ, not too bad, they have Brisket, Sausage, 1/4 chickens, St. louis ribs and turkey breast plus other bbq inspired sandwiches and meats that range from really good to decent. The only thing ive gotten and been truly underwhelemed with is the pulled pork, no smoke flavor or bark. the place is clean and the staff are really nice. Pricing is good.
i give it a 7.5 out of 10.

Reactions: TH-n-PA
35 years ago I lived in San Antonio and there were
tons of Bill Miller BBQ joints.From what I can remember the food was ok.

Reactions: bbqjefff
I live in an area of the south that's saturated with great BBQ just about everywhere. We have a Tennessee started chain called whitts. They suck big-time. The only other chain is mission bbq and they are all over the country. It's veteran ran and they support a great cause and have decent BBQ. Lots of local joints beat them hands down though

Not a chain, but we have one decent place here in Mobile, AL, Meat Boss, that is a little pricey but usually good for a quick lunch.

Edit:
Last week a place in town here called Mosely's Meats, was were hired to smoke butts for one of my nephew's middleschool football team's fundraiser.
My MiL, bless her heart, of course bought on of those $40. butts when he asked.
When it was delivered it was wrapped in foil and not opened to check it.
When finally opened it appeared to have no rub, no bark and undercooked, and it was all of those.
A fatty, greasy mess, a disgrace, nothing like that have I ever seen.
I put it in a pan, covered with foil and cooked it at 375° for three hours and it was salvaged.
No smoke flavor, no rub, no bark... Just a damned shame.

Last edited:
Reactions: BC Buck
I have to agree with TNJAKE about whitts. We have been to Mission BBQ a few times and the ribs have been good. We mostly go to Smokey Bones in Bowling Green KY.

Reactions: TH-n-PA and TNJAKE
We have Rib City, a place that uses liquid smoke and steams the ribs then finishes them on a flame grill for sear and slathers them in sauce on the plate. It’s awful bbq, but busy.

I live in an area that is filled with metocre or sub par bbq joints. There is one that I will eat at because they have brisket and burnt ends. It is Edleys in chattanooga. I am not a fan of any of the other 300 local joints or chains we have here. My family will not eat bbq unless it is cooked on our property or we are traveling somewhere that has good reviews. Does this make me a bbq snob...probably and I am ok with that. I don't claim to make phenomenal food or even good for that matter but what we have around here just doesn't do it for me.

In the Sacramento area there is no such thing as a good "chain" BBQ restaurant. A chain place called Lucille's was decent for a while. We'd take friends and family there, including club dinners. 20-30 people at times.

Then it went to cacapoopoo. Drinks became like water, portion sizes shrunk, and the smoke disappeared. As did my dollars from their registers. Same with my friends. I suspect some corporate group bought them and initiated cost-cutting measures. It's a short drive from my house I haven't made in years. I did my own cost-cutting.

This is a very interesting topic to me personally because I’ve had this conversation with a lot of people over the past few decades. Being in Michigan (not a traditional bbq hotspot) we have a handful of bbq spots across the southern part of the mitten (lower peninsula)

Side note: I’ve never had pulled pork from anywhere that’s as good as homemade smoked pork from any one’s backyard pit.

We have small mom and pop spots like Johnny V’s (one location about 20 minutes from us and another that sadly burnt down a few years ago.) that has some decent Q but nothing is overwhelming great in my opinion. The most memorable thing about the place is the wicked heartburn the burnt ends give everyone I know that’s eaten there. But overall not terrible, but not great either.

We have a great little mom and pop spot up in Fenton (about 45 minutes due north of us) called Beale St bbq that I’ve been going to for about 10-12 years now. All the protein is good, but the smoked 1/2 chicken is the best I’ve had in this state. 5-6 sauces to try, and live bands playing on the weekend nights. I dig the place but I’ve never been a fan of the cold sides. Tastes like a lot of them are scooped from a large vat they bought off a food service. Overall it’s a great spot in my opinion.

A real cool spot named Lockharts Bbq (not to be confused with lockharts in Dallas Texas by any means. If you want the greatest brisket I’ve ever had stop bu lockharts in Dallas for sure!) that has one of my favorite ribs I’ve ever had. Not sure how they do it but whatever they season the ribs with creates an almost candy like glaze. Never had another slab like them and I love them. Problem is they are in a little town called royal oak. I want nothing to do with that area so I haven’t been in years. If you can deal with the crowd it’s a great place. Guess I’m just getting to old and “get off my lawn” for that younger crowd.another cool thing about lockharts in you get a free meal on your birthday. Overall this place is great and I’ve never had anything bad from them.

Another popular spot in the clarkston union. It’s been big for a while. Not sure about the last 8 years or so but it use to be hours of waiting time to get in. Went once with our cousins, waited an hour and a half down a few buildings at a church they turned into a bar and was severely underwhelmed. Tried the ribs my wife ordered that were meh, and some pork and brisket my cousins had…. Meh! I went against the grain and what I normally do when trying a new bbw spot and ordered a special that wasn’t on the normal menu. Venison tenderloin medallions that I believe were cherry glazed. Been a while so I can’t remember the glaze for sure. Just remember they were great and everyone at the tables favorite dish by far. The long wait and 3 outta 4 guests underwhelming experience meant we never went back. I’d be curious if this place still has the long wait. I’d give them another shot.

The best place I’ve ever had Bbq at in Michigan is a small chain (3 or 4 places if I remember correctly. Who knows after Covid.) called Bad Brads bbq. Again haven’t been in 7-8 years because they are all 1 1/2 away. Best overall bbq rib I’ve had in Michigan. Very comparable to martins bbq ribs in Tennessee. The brisket chili was another favorite. All proteins and sides I’ve had were good on every occasion I was ever there. Wish it was closer.

And here in lower Michigan we have the larger chains as well. Dickies, and famous Dave’s. Both meh all the time. Not bad to grab a quick samich but nothing else really to speak of. I just smoked 8 briskets over night for a wedding a few weeks ago that famous Dave’s catered. Friends told me the kids wanted Dave’s but my brisket was far better. I agreed to do it after telling them it was going to be awkward. While we were setting up right next to the famous Dave’s person they were asking me who I worked for and if I had a catering company. Lol. Told them nope just a favor and at least they we’re getting paid for the gig.

I think places that get as big as Dave’s leave a lot to be desired. And dickies is like fast food bbq. Figure out how to serve it fast and as cheap as possible is how they make money. It ain’t a bad business motto but it doesn’t produce quality plates of bbq that are comparable with smaller mom and pop spots.

This is a fun topic. I look forward to reading replies from other states and my own state to see everyone’s opinion.

Scott

Reactions: mcokevin
there is a chain of BBQ joints in the southeastern U.S. called Sonnys BBQ
i have driven 100 miles outa my way just to eat at
there is a chain of BBQ joints in the southeastern U.S. called Sonnys BBQ
i have driven 100 miles outa my way just to eat at Sonny's

My wife ate at Sonny’s when she was younger and would talk about it all the time. I was sent to a Honda outboard school in Florida a few years back and they had one there. I tried it and tried to play it cool saying it was decent. But In Reality it was Pretty good. I’d definitely go back!

While visiting family in Montgomery Alabama I ate at a place called Dreamland BBQ. It was decent. I remember the environment being pretty cool and would think about going again if I was in the area.

There used to be a Dickey's in town. I got lunch from there one day, but it definitely didn't impress. Everyone else must have agreed, because its gone now.

The only other chain in the area is a Dinosaur BBQ about 45 minutes south of here. I've never been, but I've heard its pretty good.

I forgot about Dickey's. We've got one of those flavorless BBQ joints nearby. Went once or twice, and that was enough.

We do have a locally owned place with more than one location (3 I think) called Back Forty Texas BBQ. Not a chain, but pretty decent Q. If I'm not making it, that's where we'll order some.

Usually unimpressed … the dry rub ribs at Red, Hot, & Blue usually have been pretty good. At least good tunes …

only one I can think of is Dickey's BBQ out here in So Cal and they're also in Arizona.

It's hit or miss as all chains are, I've had some good "chopped chicken" but the onion strings are always delicious lol -- I've also had some terribly dry/nasty chicken and pulled pork that was lukewarm and mostly fat. Obviously I try and stick with the mom & pop places that charge more but you get much much better food lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky