Cervelat ~ My Way

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Congrats on the feature ride.
You are a man after my own stomach. I love summer sausage 3 ways.

My buddy that owns a shop makes cheddar jalapeno products. He uses minced jalapeno flakes.
I don't use TQ due to the nitrate.
Nitrate converts to nitrosamines when cooked.
The flakes sound like a good way to get consistent heat, fresh peppers are unpredictable. The jar peppers I used added a little zing. Not a fermented zing, just a different back-flavor.

When using TQ for color only in sausage, the amount needed is way less than the 1.5 teaspoons/pound of ground meat, so low actually I dissolve it in water so it mixes in easier.
1TL6Ulu.jpg

Reactions: chopsaw
That’s some nice looking sausage, well done! The jarred peppers sound very interesting.

Looks great and congrats on the ride! Cervelat is probably my fave style. One I make all the time is one with brat seasoning. I have been using mixes and they work well but now playing around with making my own. I looked and didn't see the recipe for this one on your site? I don't necessarily need it but would take any advice on the spices for a traditional summer sausage. I was gifted one of those Christmas gourmet packs (not HF) and had some in it and it was fantastic. It was a simple tasting old school flavor, no garlic/onion and just well executed. Pretty sure mustard seed and black pepper is part of it and last run I used allspice but not sure about that. Result was tasty just didn't have the classic SS flavor profile. I think maybe trying coriander and ditching allspice or maybe use both next run. Any input appreciated.

Looks Great, Thirdeye !!!
I love it----And those Sammies Too!! Yummmm!!
And I believe the statement would be more accurate to say "Nitrate converts to nitrosamines when BURNED". And I think the only thing some people actually Burn is Bacon. :emoji_angry:
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Looks great and congrats on the ride! Cervelat is probably my fave style. One I make all the time is one with brat seasoning. I have been using mixes and they work well but now playing around with making my own. I looked and didn't see the recipe for this one on your site? I don't necessarily need it but would take any advice on the spices for a traditional summer sausage. I was gifted one of those Christmas gourmet packs (not HF) and had some in it and it was fantastic. It was a simple tasting old school flavor, no garlic/onion and just well executed. Pretty sure mustard seed and black pepper is part of it and last run I used allspice but not sure about that. Result was tasty just didn't have the classic SS flavor profile. I think maybe trying coriander and ditching allspice or maybe use both next run. Any input appreciated.
Oops.... I didn't include the recipe. Here it is. I like mixing my own spices because I favor lower salt percentages, and if I know what's in a formulation I can change it up quickly from batch to batch. Or like you mentioned about the classic SS profile.... It's easy to dial in the flavor profile you like.

Cervelat - Ingredients per 1 kilogram (2.2 pounds) of meat
Ingredientgrams/kg
Kosher salt (or canning salt)15.0 (1.5%)
Yellow mustard seeds10.0
Dry mustard7.0
Sweet Paprika7.0
White pepper5.0
Black pepper5.0
Onion powder - toasted5.0
Garlic powder - roasted8.0
Celery seed2.0
Red pepper flakes2.0
Mace1.0
Cardamon1.0
Ground coriander0.5
Nutmeg0.5
Non-fat dry milk50.0
Hi-temp cheese70.0
Tamed Jalapeno - Med Heat22.0

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky