CenTex Smokers (Austin and Surounding Areas)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

My Favorite BBQ staple to cook is:

• Sausage

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Beef (other)

• Pork (other)

• Poultry

• Wild Game

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well since I'm on Lake Texoma I don't geographically fall into your group. But I do live in Texas and I travel all over the state. City Meat Market is one of my personal favorite BBQ joints to hit when I'm passing through Giddings. Since I'm not in the club I didn't bother voting but I actually enjoy cooking brisket. Hard to beat a properly cooked Texas style brisket.
All good. Not a lot of traction with locals so all are welcome and feel free to vote! Just wanted to put something up there for fun.

Feel free to post up some pics too!

I need to venture back to City meat market again. Lots of trips needed really:emoji_thumbsup:

I'm not at liberty to speak for the thousands of members in this regional group (haa haa) but from my perspective, if we live on the same planet you're more than welcome to join in....both within the forum and in person for whatever events we may get going. Speaking of which, we may need to don our thinking caps, set a date, and decide when we are going to do the first (annual??) Cen Tex event. I have the space and am more than willing to host it. Zach....any ideas on your end?

Rolling out the welcome mat,
Robert

I'm not at liberty to speak for the thousands of members in this regional group (haa haa) but from my perspective, if we live on the same planet you're more than welcome to join in....both within the forum and in person for whatever events we may get going. Speaking of which, we may need to don our thinking caps, set a date, and decide when we are going to do the first (annual??) Cen Tex event. I have the space and am more than willing to host it. Zach....any ideas on your end?

Rolling out the welcome mat,
Robert
Agreed! I'll have to update OP.

As long as we have sufficient notice I'll make sure I'm off work and not on call. But I agree we need to plan something. Gotta start somewhere. Memphis in May style? CenTex in May? I saved post 3 for event updates so I can get something in there if we settle on dates. I'll look at calendar tomorrow and let you know. Then we can start hashing out details. But I'm in for something for sure!

Welcome Thesmokerapprentice Thesmokerapprentice ! A local! :emoji_laughing:

depends on the flavor you like. Sweet, heat, savory, salt and pepper basic.

Personnaly, for ribs, I really like the Salt lick original rub, Jeff's Rub (site owner rub you can buy premade or recipe to keep), and Pitfaced BBQ Spicy rub.

HEB will carry the Salt lick rub obviously. Salt lick isn't the best of places in my opinion, but their rub is really good.

What smoker you got? gonna do straight smoke? 3-2-1 method?

Again, welcome!

Zach

Reactions: bigdaddy4760
I'm new to the forum and smoking meats. I live in Round Rock. I can always use the help in learning. I have a couple of racks of ribs I'm gonna smoke this weekend. Any rubs you would recommend?
Welcome to the forum,I am not a centex smoker but see you are,therefore you know it sucks looking at an empty one of these.
KIMG0752.jpg

"I have a Rudy's about a mile from me!"

You must live somewhere off of Old Settlers. The only Rudy's I know of in RR is at the corner on the southbound frontage road of I35

Here is the recipe for my rib rub. I've been using it for years and absolutely love it. It hits on all the flavor profiles. You get a little sweet, a little spice tingle, and a nice savory flavor. All of our friends say this makes THE BEST ribs they have ever had.....so I'm ok with that. I also use it on pork butts and a light coating on turkey breasts when I smoke them.

½ Cup Paprika
¼ Cup Black Pepper
¼ Cup Sugar
3 T Salt
3T Chili Powder
2 T Garlic Powder
2 T Onion Powder
1 T Cayenne Pepper

I've never been a big fan of using store bought spice mixes. I much prefer making them myself so I can dial the flavors in exactly how I want them. I'd suggest giving this a run and see how you like it.

Sharing the family secret,
Robert

Reactions: woodwindricky
If you let me know I can send you a bottle! TXsmoker you are right Ilive off of Old Settlers. There's a Salt lick close but they sold out to the corporate mentality. The best brisket I have ever had was Tyler's BBQ in Amarillo. My favorite porkchop is at Cooper's in Llano, Tx. I love smoked meat and am kind of a snob about it!

"The best brisket I have ever had was Tyler's BBQ in Amarillo. My favorite porkchop is at Cooper's in Llano, Tx. I love smoked meat and am kind of a snob about it!"

I'm going to share a bit of personal experience. You'll soon notice that the names of places you mentioned here will suddenly start dropping off your "favorites" list. As you start dialing in your own flavors and cooking techniques there will be no place in your lexicon for commercially available BBQ. Quite simply, it will not add up to what you make at home. They cook for the masses but you are cooking for yourself, family, and friends so can do it exactly the way you like it....not a happy medium for millions of people.

Don't know if you read this whole thread but toward the beginning I posted a new way I found to cook ribs. For years I did the 3-2-1 method but those days are over. I'll never again wrap ribs....ever. They will be done exactly as I posted from now on. I'd really recommend giving it a shot. Here is the recipe for the glaze I came up with and have used a couple times over the past few weeks. It is outstanding!!

• 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1.5 cup ketchup*
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup yellow mustard
  • 1.5 tablespoons onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less)
  • 1.5 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Dash of Worcestershire sauce

Reduce this by 1/3 until you coat the back of a spoon

(* I didn’t have enough ketchup so I used ½ cup ketchup and 1 cup Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce)

Please keep us posted on your progress and don't hesitate to ask if you have questions.

Robert

Reactions: woodwindricky
Happy Easter Weekend Y'all!

I feel strange... didn't fire up the pit at all this weekend?! :emoji_disappointed_relieved:

I let other friends cook for me:emoji_grin:

Time to go open a new bottle of whiskey and give it a go. Old Forester 1920... :emoji_fingers_crossed:

Has come highly recommended so I grabbed a bottle. Then some Game of Thrones. :emoji_metal:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky