Catfish Fillets & Tater Wedges

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Catfish Fillets & Tater Wedges (Experiment #2 with my New Air Fryer)

My first test with this “Air Fryer 360” was Breaded Fried Chicken Thighs & Drums, and they were the best I ever had.
Link to "Fried Chicken":

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/first-test-of-new-toy-chicken-parts.287270/

A couple of you guys asked about making fish this way, so I moved that up on my list of testing.

So I thawed out 2 big Catfish Fillets I had gotten from Giant Food Store.

She always does a good job with breading, so I got Mrs Bear to cover these, exactly like she did the Chicken parts.
Then I took two good size Russet Taters & scrubbed them good & cut 8 lengthwise wedges out of each of them, leaving the skins on.
Then after soaking in cold water for an hour, I dried the Tater Wedges & coated them with Olive Oil, CBP, Garlic Powder & Onion Powder.

These Catty Fillets were much bigger & thicker than the wild ones I usually make, and they had a lot of Fat on them.
I followed the instructions that came with my Air Fryer 360, and put the fillets on the Baking Pan, which I didn’t think was a Great idea, but “Emeril” said it, and who am I to question the “King”.

Then I spread out all the Tater Wedges on the wire Basket, which is where I thought the fillets should go too, so the hot air can get to ALL Sides, and not have them laying in their own Fat.

So I put the Baking Pan on #2 position, and the Wire Basket on #3 position. (The instructions said to put the Fillets in the Baking pan on position #1, but that would be kinda stupid, because the fillets would be actually against the broiler elements, up top).

Then I set it @ 380°, without the Fans on, for 20 minutes.
At 20 minutes nothing was near done, so I reset it to 400° for another 20 minutes.
The Taters were mostly done, with a few undone spots in some of them, but the Fish was Great, with the exception of the moist Fatty stuff on the bottom, which tells me they should either be flipped at the halfway point, or better yet, “Done in the Basket” so they aren’t laying on a solid surface & the hot air can get to ALL Sides, like I had figured before I started.

So I only ate one of them, because they were so big, and the next day, I put the leftover Fillet in the Wire Basket, and 4 leftover Tater Wedges, and set it for 380° for 20 minutes. I started the fillet with the Fatty side up this time, and flipped it over at 10 minutes, until done. This Fillet was Fantastic, and so were the Tater Wedges, except Mrs Bear Said there was too much Garlic powder on the Taters.

So After the results from this test, I figure the next time I do this, I will try the Fillets
“IN the Basket” @ 400° , with the Fans on, for 20 minutes, and check them then to see if that’s long enough.

I’ll keep working until I get it Perfect, and then I’ll start a new category in my “Step by Step Index”—
“Air Fryer 360”, and put the ones I get nailed down on the list.

Thanks for Stopping By,

Bear

I got Mrs Bear to do the coating, so I could take this picture & do other stuff:
IMG_3605.jpg

The Toy in Question:
IMG_3608.jpg

Closer look with door open:
IMG_3606.jpg

Everything after Frying:
IMG_3609.jpg

Two Catfish Fillets on Baking Pan, according to instructions. (Bad Idea):
IMG_3611.jpg

Tater Wedges in Basket:
IMG_3610.jpg

Bear's First night's Supper:
IMG_3612.jpg

Reheat for second night. Note the Fat on the Fillet---That was the bottom of that fillet the first night.
So I started this one with the Fatted side up to melt it off:
IMG_3613.jpg

Before flipping:
IMG_3614.jpg

After flipping & finished:
IMG_3615.jpg

Plated for Bear's second night's Supper:

IMG_3616.jpg

Keep em coming! You keep getting good results like that and I may actually break down and buy that cooker. I'm so hesitant, even with Emeril's name on it. Sometimes those are just cash grabs, but if you're having good results then it might be promising.

Great looking meal Bear. It reminds me it's time to grab the fishing pole, some chicken livers, and do some catfishing!

Looks excellent. I'm with you though, would think the basket would be better for the fillets to cook all around.
May have to invest in another basket ? Sure they don't give them away $$$

You know I love Catfish, Looks great I "like" it

Gary

Great looking catfish Bear. I'll have to start dropping hints to the wife. Although real-estate in our kitchen is limited.

Point for sure
Chris

Keep em coming! You keep getting good results like that and I may actually break down and buy that cooker. I'm so hesitant, even with Emeril's name on it. Sometimes those are just cash grabs, but if you're having good results then it might be promising.

Thank You!!
So far so good with this new toy.
Seems many of Emeril's times & temps are pretty far off.
Gotta make my own Settings list.

Great looking meal Bear. It reminds me it's time to grab the fishing pole, some chicken livers, and do some catfishing!

Thank You!!
Yup, I used to put stuff like that in a tin can with small holes in it, and throw it in a pond the day before. Then fish right there the next day.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Looks excellent. I'm with you though, would think the basket would be better for the fillets to cook all around.
May have to invest in another basket ? Sure they don't give them away $$$

Thank You!!
Yeah, I should have upgraded when I ordered, but I got too used to saying NO.
For $40 more I could have gotten another rack, 2 more wire baskets, and a stand for the rotisserie. I said NO. Then they offered it again at Check-out for $25, and I said NO again. I should have said Yes on the $25 offer.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Great looking catfish Bear. I'll have to start dropping hints to the wife. Although real-estate in our kitchen is limited.

Point for sure
Chris

Thank You Chris!!
Yup--Our Kitchen Real Estate was less than limited, but this one took the place of our old Toaster Oven.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky