• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Catering Gig need help please!!!

Mee Mee

Joined Feb 20, 2019
I was booked for an event for 150 people. It’s a split order 75ppl in the AM and 75 ppl in the PM. The menu is as follows:
Fried Chicken (mixed pieces)
Beef Ribs
Fried Cabbage
Baked Beans
Potato Salad
Rolls
Marble pound cake

2 meats 3 sides rolls and a dessert. Is 16.99pp a reasonable price or is that too high or low???
I am also trying to figure out how much chicken and ribs to serve. Is 1 pc of chicken and two ribs pp sufficient or two pcs of each? How many pound of chicken and ribs should I purchase??? I think I have the sides down. I will do 6 pans of each side on average a pan feeds 25-30 ppl I always like to make more but is this too much as far as sides?

fivetricks

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 7, 2017
This is being served buffet style I assume? Not knowing your customers I'd figure 2 pieces of chicken per.

phatbac

Master of the Pit
Joined Jun 11, 2013
how much does it cost you per person? I would figure that out and times by 3 or 3.5 and charge that. also, 2 chicken and one beef sound more like people would want. there is a spreadsheet that does meat calculations running around here do a search...

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

gmc2003

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
Like fivetricks said, is it buffet or plated? If buffet you may get people loading up on one or the other. Which can make planning difficult.

Chris

Mee Mee

Joined Feb 20, 2019
This is being served buffet style I assume? Not knowing your customers I'd figure 2 pieces of chicken per.
Great thanks! Yes it is buffet style, they will have a couple of their employees serving. You are correct chicken is always a big hit.

Mee Mee

Joined Feb 20, 2019
how much does it cost you per person? I would figure that out and times by 3 or 3.5 and charge that. also, 2 chicken and one beef sound more like people would want. there is a spreadsheet that does meat calculations running around here do a search...

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)
Great thanks! I found the spreadsheet!!!

HalfSmoked

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Another thing to take into consideration here is who you will be serving just men or men and women children in included?
This will make a difference.

Warren

HalfSmoked

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Thanks for the likes fivesticks and Flatbroke
Warren

HalfSmoked

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
MeeMee Thanks for the like it is greatly appreciated.

Warren

varlot

Joined May 22, 2019
Wow, it seems like you’ve got this, thanks for the information! I’ll keep it. We’re making a plated dinner for my cousin’s wedding day and I think I’m gonna use your information primarily for smoked BBQ ribs. I’m also wondering about disposables, I mean, if I’m gonna use it (I’ve found eco-friendly ones recently here https://mcdonaldpaper.com/eco-friendly I think it’s a worthy idea as the wedding is going to be in more a country style. Happy smoking!

Last edited:

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.