catering for a large event

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

abcbbq

Original poster
Feb 4, 2021
Howdy!

I normally bbq for my family and friends, and it always seems to be a hit, but I have only cooked for one event and that was for about 20 people. Well apparently someone let slip my skill, and now I have been asked to bbq for about 115 people this coming April. The man that asked for my services just said bring good barbeque and that's it, no specifics. So I was just going to do three meats and three sides.
My questions are:
- How do I calculate how much meat I need? This will be for our local fire department and their spouses/dates.
-How do I calculate the bill for this thing? When I bbq'd for that first event, the one who wanted me to cook gave me his card and told me to buy everything I needed. except for the wood, I had more than enough already.

I would be interested in starting a bbq side business if this were to work out, but I may be over my head as well. I just don't want to over charge or under charge for my services.

Thanks in advance and God bless!

Reactions: Wurstmeister
Probably 1/2 per person so divide by three for three meats ...100 lbs each meat ..i would summice

Howdy!

I normally bbq for my family and friends, and it always seems to be a hit, but I have only cooked for one event and that was for about 20 people. Well apparently someone let slip my skill, and now I have been asked to bbq for about 115 people this coming April. The man that asked for my services just said bring good barbeque and that's it, no specifics. So I was just going to do three meats and three sides.
My questions are:
- How do I calculate how much meat I need? This will be for our local fire department and their spouses/dates.
-How do I calculate the bill for this thing? When I bbq'd for that first event, the one who wanted me to cook gave me his card and told me to buy everything I needed. except for the wood, I had more than enough already.

I would be interested in starting a bbq side business if this were to work out, but I may be over my head as well. I just don't want to over charge or under charge for my services.

Thanks in advance and God bless!
Meadow Creek BBQ site in Lancaster, PA that has a very good FREE BBQ Catering Planning Document along with an Excel Spreadsheet that might be useful to you: Catering Planner (meadowcreekbbq.com) To get the worksheet, you have to download their planner pdf file. The newer version of the worksheet link is at the end of the pdf.

I use this version for my planning issues. https://www.smokymtbarbecue.com/bbq-tools/bbq-catering-planner.php The older version of the BBQ Planner is from Meadow Creek BBQ (early days) & cost factors as part of the columns which is very helpful. Just remember, these are all guidelines and not set in stone.

For detailed costs analysis, recipe scaling, plating profit/costs etc., in excel format, check out the Chef Resources web page - Culinary Information for Professional Chefs - Chefs Resources (chefs-resources.com) . I've been using their forms for years and they make life a lot easier!! They due require a membership, but for the cost you can download their whole library of spreadsheets.

Good Luck in your endeavors. You have come to the right place for guidance! These folks are the BEST!!! 🍻

• Love
Reactions: jcam222
Meadow Creek BBQ site in Lancaster, PA that has a very good FREE BBQ Catering Planning Document along with an Excel Spreadsheet that might be useful to you: Catering Planner (meadowcreekbbq.com) To get the worksheet, you have to download their planner pdf file. The newer version of the worksheet link is at the end of the pdf.

I use this version for my planning issues. https://www.smokymtbarbecue.com/bbq-tools/bbq-catering-planner.php The older version of the BBQ Planner is from Meadow Creek BBQ (early days) & cost factors as part of the columns which is very helpful. Just remember, these are all guidelines and not set in stone.

For detailed costs analysis, recipe scaling, plating profit/costs etc., in excel format, check out the Chef Resources web page - Culinary Information for Professional Chefs - Chefs Resources (chefs-resources.com) . I've been using their forms for years and they make life a lot easier!! They due require a membership, but for the cost you can download their whole library of spreadsheets.

Good Luck in your endeavors. You have come to the right place for guidance! These folks are the BEST!!! 🍻
Man excellent info! Thanks for sharing. I’ve bookmarked this thread. For pricing advice maybe jump on one of the larger BBQ Facebook sites and ask. I have seen this question on pricing asked often and always yields good answers. A lot of the answer relates to your area as well.

Man excellent info! Thanks for sharing. I’ve bookmarked this thread. For pricing advice maybe jump on one of the larger BBQ Facebook sites and ask. I have seen this question on pricing asked often and always yields good answers. A lot of the answer relates to your area as well.
Thanks for the "Love" and positive comments. I attached the old file in another thread A/O 26/27 Jan 2021. If you want it, let me know and I'll send it over to you. Sorry, wrong sheet. Thought i removed it.
🍻
John

Last edited:
1/2 lb per person of protein is the ol' wisdom of the trade, but multiple choice bbq messes it up a little. If you offer brisket and pulled pork together, it breaks 75% for brisket. Pulled pork weight relies heavily on the bun size - your standard bulk rack buns (4") won't hold much more than 4oz, and most people only take 1.
We lose half our raw weight smoking stuff like pulled pork and brisket, so buy about as many raw pounds of meat as you have people.

For 120 people I'd supply, raw weight, 60 lbs brisket, 40 lbs pulled pork, 30 lbs chicken (leg quarters). That's 4 packers, 5 butts, probably 40 leg quarters (split these up for 80 servings). I bet you'd have chicken leftover, it's usually low man on the bbq ranks.

Standard serving weight catering costs around here are roughly $12/lb for brisket, $8/lb for pulled pork, $6/lb for chicken. Plus sides, buns, etc.
Math on this - Brisket cost $3.50/lb, half of the weight goes out on trim and cook, so your cost is really $7.00/lb finished. The fuel costs a little, the serving pans cost a little, the rub costs a little, the foil costs something, so now you're at $9 costs. Add 30%-ish margin, $12/lb. That's probably a competitive "friends" rate, but liveable. Look around at local bbq joints and see if they have a per pound price on the menu. Since this is 1-off and not a business model you can play fast and loose with the price.

Last thing - if you're doing mass quantities of pulled pork, chunk it up and shred it in a stand mixer with the regular paddle.

Reactions: Weaversbbq
I don't know where you live, but I know I wouldn't be planning any big outings with a lot of people as early as this April, in PA.

Stay Safe!
Bear

• Haha
1/2 lb per person of protein is the ol' wisdom of the trade, but multiple choice bbq messes it up a little. If you offer brisket and pulled pork together, it breaks 75% for brisket. Pulled pork weight relies heavily on the bun size - your standard bulk rack buns (4") won't hold much more than 4oz, and most people only take 1.
We lose half our raw weight smoking stuff like pulled pork and brisket, so buy about as many raw pounds of meat as you have people.

For 120 people I'd supply, raw weight, 60 lbs brisket, 40 lbs pulled pork, 30 lbs chicken (leg quarters). That's 4 packers, 5 butts, probably 40 leg quarters (split these up for 80 servings). I bet you'd have chicken leftover, it's usually low man on the bbq ranks.

Standard serving weight catering costs around here are roughly $12/lb for brisket, $8/lb for pulled pork, $6/lb for chicken. Plus sides, buns, etc.
Math on this - Brisket cost $3.50/lb, half of the weight goes out on trim and cook, so your cost is really $7.00/lb finished. The fuel costs a little, the serving pans cost a little, the rub costs a little, the foil costs something, so now you're at $9 costs. Add 30%-ish margin, $12/lb. That's probably a competitive "friends" rate, but liveable. Look around at local bbq joints and see if they have a per pound price on the menu. Since this is 1-off and not a business model you can play fast and loose with the price.

Last thing - if you're doing mass quantities of pulled pork, chunk it up and shred it in a stand mixer with the regular paddle.

Thank you so much for the help and knowledge. I'll use that for guidance from here on out. Again, I really appreciate you.

God bless

Reactions: FFchampMT
Thank you so much for the help and knowledge. I'll use that for guidance from here on out. Again, I really appreciate you.

God bless
Also, serving the brisket isn't a bad idea. At weddings I set up for serving and ask "Wet, dry, or 1 of each?" serving size is generally 2 pieces of brisket. Then set the chicken and pork past your brisket serving, so they can load up with the other proteins.
If you do it buffet style I'd make a lot more brisket, because people treat it like steak, they'll take a bunch.

I hope it helps the folks here on the Forum. BTW - Is there anyplace on the Forum that we can save files like this, after being cleared of course? That way I don't have to embarrass myself in front of 1000s of people with my fat fingers - BBQ vs Jambalaya?! 🍻
I just bookmark them, and they are there forever. They are not on the forum, they are in my bookmarks file.
Al

Apologies for jumping into this thread from two years ago, but I noticed your post about catering for a large event, and I thought I could still lend a helping hand.
So, cooking for 115 people, huh? That's quite a challenge, but I'm sure you can handle it like a BBQ pro!
To estimate the amount of meat you'll need, a general rule is about 1/2 pound (225g) per person. That means for 115 people, you'll need roughly 57.5 pounds (26kg) of meat. Of course, it's always good to have a bit extra, just in case appetites are especially hearty or folks want seconds!
If you were thinking about starting a BBQ side business, this could have been a great opportunity to showcase your skills. In case you haven't already, Santa Monica Event Lighting could be a useful resource for tips on catering large events. When pricing your services, strike a balance between fairness and covering your costs – don't overcharge, but also don't undervalue your talents.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky