Casing quality: Sausage Maker or Syracuse Casings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Our two youngest (of six) graduate from college this year.  Maybe after that we'll start a serious hunt for a chopper.

Lance

Syracuse and the other bunch all got big bellys,,, their casings are waaay overpriced.
I Just bought an entire hank of Sheep casings FOR $25 to make breakfast sausage (100 yards, 20/22mm) from this new casing company called S&A Casing Co. , boy they're underrated.. The shortest strand is like 2 Meters long! I didn't have to throw any shorts away like I did with the home pack junk, and better yet NO HOLES!
Their product is hands down superb, every sausage maker should try it.
My yield was 53Lbs of sausage per hank, of course you have to take into account the diameter, the bigger the more it stuffs.
You dont have to use all of it by the way, I had some casings left over, all I did was bury them in salt and but them in the fridge, they'll stay fresh forever, and when I need them again I'd soak and flush.
Checkem' out on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sausage-She...117355?hash=item3ab84c646b:g:O~cAAOSw8-tWYjIE

JasonF is probably a scammer..... First post.... promoting a questionable seller on eBay...

I would not buy from that seller.... NO FEEDBACK.... None sold..... only 1 item in his inventory.... AND the casings could come from anywhere... No country of origin.... and the packaging does not have a label.... Casings are food folks.... I wouldn't eat them let alone feed them to my grandkids....

Last edited:
yeahthat.gif

I'm betting that he'll be gone soon.

"AND the casings could come from anywhere"

Country of origin/manufacture is the United States in his listing.

I think I will give them a try. I just hope he answers my PM about the larger sizes available.

I can't use that size.

Merry Christmas everybody!!!

Ya know, I am just one of those people. I still us AT&T, I always get my calls and can make them, Thats got to be worth something extra. Peace of mind.

Butchers & Packers has always delivered what I want, and talked me into what I needed sometimes instead of what I wanted...LOL

Long ago I learned, the ecstasy of low price never exceeds the agony of poor quality. 

And Merry Christmas Jarhead, hope your home for the holidays!

Last edited:
I wrote to the "casing business" on eBay..... below is the transaction.....

Dear sacasings,

I would like to see a shipping label that was on the container the casings arrived in to your operation... Just to prove the origin in the USA.... and from what slaughter house they came from....

Thank you for your interest.
Unfortunately we do not have such information to provide.
What we can provide you with is high quality casings for your processing needs.
Feel free to place an order, we also carry 20/22mm product code 252206180260

Best regards,
- sacasings

Great info guys!!! Thanks

DS

I have more info on them, but I'll hold it for a PM to the gent that decided to advertise with his first post, when and if he decides to come back and get upset about our thoughts...  He's been all over the net talking it up...  I also got bored in a conf call and did some digging...  
icon_eek.gif

Last edited:
No hard feelings folks, and by no means am I a scammer. Some of you like to stick with what's been working for them and that's fine, others like to try different things, and this forum is to share our personal experiences. Just because a seller on eBay doesn't have enough reviews doesn't mean they're the boogeyman. Give them a shot and if you don't like their product shoot them a negative review, if you like the product give them a thumbs up, its simple. But be rest assured that it's in the interest of any merchant whether on eBay or elsewhere to do their best to satisfy a customer for future prospects.
And For petes sake it's 2016, almost all products in the US are imported from China and elsewhere. Markets have globalized, What matters is the quality and price.

I have more info on them, but I'll hold it for a PM to the gent that decided to advertise with his first post, when and if he decides to come back and get upset about our thoughts...  He's been all over the net talking it up...  I also got bored in a conf call and did some digging...  
icon_eek.gif

he's back cranky buzzard! let him have it!
hit.gif

No hard feelings folks, and by no means am I a scammer. Some of you like to stick with what's been working for them and that's fine, others like to try different things, and this forum is to share our personal experiences. Just because a seller on eBay doesn't have enough reviews doesn't mean they're the boogeyman. Give them a shot and if you don't like their product shoot them a negative review, if you like the product give them a thumbs up, its simple. But be rest assured that it's in the interest of any merchant whether on eBay or elsewhere to do their best to satisfy a customer for future prospects.
And For petes sake it's 2016, almost all products in the US are imported from China and elsewhere. Markets have globalized, What matters is the quality and price.
Stop digging... it will be easier to get out of the hole you are in....   

By all means, show us the sausage you make....   describe the recipe....    pictures of your smoker...     and stop pushing products for sale.....  

welcome1.gif
..... Dave

I just ordered casings from Syracuse last night.I was getting them from the local butcher,while they where quality casings the consistency of length and diameter seemed to drop off the more often I bought some. Then I bought a couple packs from amazon...short lengths,veiny and lots of blow outs. Hope the Syracuse casings works out

I know this is going to hit a nerve with some people but if you want to buy local, go with the Syracuse brand.  They are from American raised hogs, where Sausage Maker are imported from China.  This was confirmed with a phone call to Sausage Maker.

To add to the conversation; a product that says "Product of the USA" is not the same as one labeled "Made in the USA".  A "Product of the USA" is of US origin and shipped somewhere else (typically China) for processing or assembly, then imported back into the US for sale.  Only a product that says "Made in the USA" is fully sourced and made here.  Syracuse Casings is the only natural casing company sourcing 100% of it's hog casing from, and processing it in, the USA.  Their sheep casings come from New Zealand and are processed here.

I don't know about anybody else but I have no interest in buying processed foods from a country that has multiple cases of tainted baby food and formula year after year.

I use Syracuse Casing for all my sheep and hog casings and will continue to do so as long as their production and sourcing policies remain as they are now.  They also include USPS Priority Mail shipping at no additional cost.  What you see on the website is what you pay delivered to your door.  That's a pleasant change from anybody else in the business of whom I'm aware. 

I've been on their production floor.  The place is clean, bright and very fresh smelling-a far cry from some food service and processing operations I've been in. 

Full disclosure:  I don't have any affiliation with Syracuse Casings.  They have however provided free casings for some sausage making demos a friend and I have worked on at local sportsman's shows.  All they asked for was that we mention that they exist and offer internet sales to the public. 

For that matter, Lisa B. of Vacuum Sealers Unlimited has provided free vacuum bags for those demos and for hand-outs (and one-time discount coupons) for them asking only that we add her to our list of places to buy supplies. 

Lance

Reactions: jarhead
Grabber & LanceR......    Great information for those that support American Businesses....  Thanks for taking the time to investigate and report...

Dave

To add to the conversation; a product that says "Product of the USA" is not the same as one labeled "Made in the USA".  A "Product of the USA" is of US origin and shipped somewhere else (typically China) for processing or assembly, then imported back into the US for sale.  Only a product that says "Made in the USA" is fully sourced and made here.  Syracuse Casings is the only natural casing company sourcing 100% of it's hog casing from, and processing it in, the USA.  Their sheep casings come from New Zealand and are processed here.

I don't know about anybody else but I have no interest in buying processed foods from a country that has multiple cases of tainted baby food and formula year after year.

I use Syracuse Casing for all my sheep and hog casings and will continue to do so as long as their production and sourcing policies remain as they are now.  They also include USPS Priority Mail shipping at no additional cost.  What you see on the website is what you pay delivered to your door.  That's a pleasant change from anybody else in the business of whom I'm aware. 

I've been on their production floor.  The place is clean, bright and very fresh smelling-a far cry from some food service and processing operations I've been in. 

Full disclosure:  I don't have any affiliation with Syracuse Casings.  They have however provided free casings for some sausage making demos a friend and I have worked on at local sportsman's shows.  All they asked for was that we mention that they exist and offer internet sales to the public. 

For that matter, Lisa B. of Vacuum Sealers Unlimited has provided free vacuum bags for those demos and for hand-outs (and one-time discount coupons) for them asking only that we add her to our list of places to buy supplies. 

Lance
I use lisa for my vacmaster unit bags!! She is honest and will give you the run down. You get what you pay for most often!  Thanks for stopping a mistake I was about to make. Ill make sure I buy american products for the casings!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky