Case of butts with my first rubbed butt, and Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scvinegarpepper

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Lowcountry, SC
I recently hosted an engagement party for a fraternity brother of mine. Being that all of the hosts were either recently married or poor graduate students like myself, we went simple and I did a case of butts and we had kegs. I did the majority of them my “usual” way, finishing with my own vinegar/pepper sauce. Well, I call it “gravy,” not sauce, because it’s pretty thin. However, I decided to do one of the butts with a rub. Typically I don’t put anything on them, and just let the sauce do the work, but I wanted to do one as a “test” butt.

I used a recipe I found for Myron Mixon’s bbq rub. I also made a mixture of cider vinegar and melted butter and S&P and injected it. Here is the rubbed butt on the cooker…

be17b628_rubbedbeforefoil.jpg

Here is the whole cooker with all the other butts getting ready to foil all but the rubbed butt…

dc88f8c7_grillbeforefoil.jpg

Now the thermometer tells me it’s time to foil…

39e25ab8_thermometer.jpg

I wasn’t going to foil the rubbed butt. I planned on just powering through the plateau, but I ran out of time. So I foiled it to get it over 200, then opened it up to firm up a little. Also, notice I did not put any liquid in the foil to braise. That’s all natural juice in there…

d333b6b4_rubbedinfoiljuice.jpg

Here is the rubbed butt after pulling it…

dcca3048_rubbedpulled.jpg

And a close-up…

1a82e5e0_rubbedpulledcloseup.jpg

The rubbed butt came out so great, I decided to leave it dry. I set it out at the party with the sauced meat, just to get a feel for how everyone liked it. I think it was a hit. We had a very small turn out, which didn’t bother me because I had plenty of leftover meat! Enjoy the QV. Can’t wait to do another rubbed butt. Next time I am going to make sure I have enough time to power through the plateau without foiling.

-SC

Very nice color on those butts.......... Is that an a-maze-n-smoker you used in the left corner of your grill.

Thanks, everyone. Always good to have the hard work appreciated. Yes, that is an AMNS smoker. I just got it and am still working with Todd to get it to my liking. But it's entirely my fault, I'm just not setting it up right. Todd is a master at customer service! Always willing to help out. And about the injection: I could taste it, but I want more. I just injected a few spots for this one because I was in a hurry. but I would like to put more in next time, maybe an oz. or two per pound? Is that reasonable?

I've never injected butts before, because I didn't want to worry about the 40-140 rule, also they have so much fat in them it never seemed necessary. However if you say it changed the flavor, I may give it a try. By the way your PP look great!

Butts look great and a nice looking rig you have there. Don't think you could go wrong following Myrons lead....guys a legend and a kick to watch. Care to share which rub you snagged off him?

I just found online his standard rub. Not sure how accurate it is, but here it is...

1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sweet paprika
1/4 cup kosher salt
3 tablespoons black pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil

As for the gravy, I started trying to perfect my sauce before I could even drive. I'm 27 now. I use apple cider vinegar, black pepper, salt, crushed red pepper, and ground red pepper. IMHO, that's your basic vinegar-pepper SOUTH CAROLINA sauce. But I also add some ketchup to cut the acidity from the vinegar, and some brown sugar to give it a sweet backboard to fall back on. I throw in some butter too to give it some body and help it stick to the meat. Lemons also. The citrus adds something to it that I can't place, but it wouldn't be the same without it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky