Carne Salata ( Pork cushion proscuitto )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks amazing rich! I have some umai stuff but haven't given it a try yet. Nice work bud
Thanks Jake . Now's the time to do it . 2 weeks in the cure and 4 to 8 weeks in the Umai .
I just got out a small sirloin roast to use up my last bag .

Reactions: indaswamp
looks fantastic
Thanks Sam .
If you want an idea, how about side by side UMAI bag VS 2 layers pink BP.
Lol . You know me to well . I just wrapped the half I didn't slice in pink paper and put it back in the fridge . I should take a weight .
Not sure how long I can stay away from it .

Reactions: zwiller
Addicting......isn't it?
Yup . I always have something curing in that fridge , but not enough to dedicate a cabinet like you do . You do a great job with all that . I just keep it simple for me .

Those pork cushion come 5 to a bag . I actually did 3 . Two of them in Umai bags , and one cured with Tender quick . Ground ( to a powder ) fennel and anise added to the cure . Held for 14 days , rinsed covered with paprika and smoked to 152 . The TQ gives a much firmer texture than cure one . Makes a good sliced snack .
1666022089338.jpeg
Didn't get the bind on the roll that I get with cure one .
Nice hint of sweetness from the fennel and anise .
1666022281378.jpeg

Update .
I've had the first one in pink butcher paper for 10 days .
Sliced it up this morning . Better texture and less moisture .

20221031_101001.jpg
20221031_101730.jpg
20221031_101739.jpg
Since I had the slicer out I went ahead and pulled the second one that was still in the Umai bag . Started at 713g was at 400g this morning .
45 days . It was spiced with some red pepper .
Much better texture than the first one . This could have even gone longer . I did wrap in pink paper and it's back in the fridge . The outside was not as hard as the first one either . Maybe the time helps that .
20221031_102209.jpg
20221031_102219.jpg
20221031_102435.jpg
See thru slices .
20221031_102458.jpg
20221031_102508.jpg
No extreme hardening .
20221031_102745.jpg
The first one was good , but a bit soft at 40%
After being in the Butcher paper it improved .
The second one is fantastic . Pork cushion is perfect for this .
Need to dig a couple out of the freezer .
I have a hunk of beef sirloin that has been in the cure 14 days .
Need to get in in the Umai today .

Attachments

• 20221031_102439.jpg
    20221031_102439.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 7
chopsaw chopsaw wow that looks good! Thanks for all the details on UMAi, your results are the best recommendation for that method I've seen! I especially likebthe coppa!
I'm gonna have to do some research as I have never seen anything called a pork cushion for sale, and it looks like a nice cut.

Reactions: chopsaw
I'd have to try a piece or three in a skillet too.
I did this morning . Just enough heat to tighten it up some . I didn't mention it , but if you saw the " country ham " thread , that's exactly what it reminded me of . That condensed salty chew . Just missing the smoke . I mixed up some dough right after that so I can put some on a pizza tonight . Bill , it's really good .

Nice job Rich. That looks fantastic.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: chopsaw
Man, everything is coming out fantastic Rich! I can't figure what I'm doing wrong, my coppa has lost about 8% in a month, this is the third one that isn't curing right. I just put it in a new bag with new strips, crinkled the bag up really good. This better work, getting tired of this crap, maybe it's the new fridge. RAY

coming out fantastic Rich!
Ray , I was surprised how good it is .
maybe it's the new fridge.
You may be right . This is the first time I did this in my garage fridge . Circa 1985 . Old Kenmore . First fridge I ever bought . When I did salamis I used a newer fridge and they took forever .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky