Cant get meat to come out of stuffer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fullthrottlejr

Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
I have made a couple batches of deer sticks and some potato sausage. When feeding the meat into the throat of the grinder I find myself really having to push hard with the pusher to get the meat to come out of the tube. A friend was telling me that his grinder all you have to do is drop the ground meat in and it comes out, no effort at all.  If I dont keep pushing on mine the meat wont come out. When it comes to actually grinding whole muscle meat it cranks it right out with no problem. Ground meat though is a different story. Any suggestions?

I think the issue may be the temp. How cold is the meat you are trying to stuff with a grinder? What I think is happening is that the meat is too warm and is just kind of "sloshing" around in the auger rather than being pushed thru. Not 100% but just a feeling I get from what you are describing. Try taking the meat to almost frozen and see if that helps

I have made a couple batches of deer sticks and some potato sausage. When feeding the meat into the throat of the grinder I find myself really having to push hard with the pusher to get the meat to come out of the tube. A friend was telling me that his grinder all you have to do is drop the ground meat in and it comes out, no effort at all.  If I dont keep pushing on mine the meat wont come out. When it comes to actually grinding whole muscle meat it cranks it right out with no problem. Ground meat though is a different story. Any suggestions?
I have the same issue with mine. Basically it's an issue with the design of the grinder. 

Basically the clearance between the auger and the tube is quite large so what happens is that ground meat tends to back over the auger blade because of it's fine texture compared to chunks of meat.

Taking the meat to a colder temp will help alot.  Are you trying to run the already ground meat through the grinder with the knife and plate and then through the tube?  If so try taking the knife and plate out and run it into the tube by itself.

also try to not to overstuff the throat of the grinder...drop handfuls of the meat in the throat one at a time one right after the other.  Grinders are primarily designed to grind meat. They can be used to stuff meat but they dont do the best job of it.

Save up to buy a stuffer you will not be disapointed!

SOB

Those little 5 lb stuffers from Northern Tool are lifesavers.   Big time saver, big aggrevation saver and much better quality of sausage because I don't have as much air getting into the casings.  

I no longer fight the grinder stuffer thing. Bought the 5 lb stuffer from Northern. Works great so far. Here's proof.

ce8d86d4_002.jpg

I used to have the same problem and I would have to agree with AK1, mine needed a considerable amount of pushing to get it to move through, I also have bought a 5lb stuffer (from Sausagemaker.com) and it has made a huge difference, I actually look forward to stuffing now, and it is many times faster than the grinder method.  Martin

when using your grinder as a stuffer you will use no plate. there should be a star that came with your grinder. Not the cutting star... the stuffing star more looks like a + with a round hole in the middle. this should be used instead of the plate. I think this is where your poblem lies. I cant locate a pic I had of this. maybe someone will post one...

Thanks everybody! I did remove the cutter and the plate when stuffing. It made a differance but not much. I will try just dropping in the small amounts at a time. Someone told me to put Ice cubes in the meat and that would make a differance. Wouldn't that promote a ton of shrinkage when smoking? I eventually will buy a stuffer, but cant afford one at this time.
icon_sad.gif
 Anyway thanks everybody.

icon_cool.gif

Now I have a 5lb stuffer and that made things alot either. Now when first started I was using my grinder as a stuffer. I experiance the same hard to get the meat out of the grinder and thur the tube. I figured it out pretty fast. I used the cutting blade and a stuffing plate and the meat flew right out of the grinder/stuffer. After that I could hardly keep up with the stuffer.  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky