Cant Find TriTip......

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcollins

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 16, 2014
Del Rio TN
As said above i cant seem to find a TT ANYWHERE around my neck of the woods. So my question is: Does anyone know of a cut that is popular that will smoke pretty much the same as a TT? 

Thanks in advance for any help.

Did you ask a butcher for it? My guess is there grinding it up or turning it into stew meat or stir fry. Good luck getting some. I don't really care for tenderloin but it's kind of close just not as tasty to me.

Did you ask a butcher for it? My guess is there grinding it up or turning it into stew meat or stir fry. Good luck getting some. I don't really care for tenderloin but it's kind of close just not as tasty to me.

I did ask a packing company they said i would have to order it 100# min so i told them to have a nuce day as far as an auctual butcher im not having any luck finding one of those either it seems everyone enjoys walmart meat around here but i do not

As said above i cant seem to find a TT ANYWHERE around my neck of the woods. So my question is: Does anyone know of a cut that is popular that will smoke pretty much the same as a TT? 

Thanks in advance for any help.

You can order it online from Snake River Farms. Buy 2 to save a few dollars and wait until they have free shipping deals which might be going on now.

Craig

You can order it online from Snake River Farms. Buy 2 to save a few dollars and wait until they have free shipping deals which might be going on now.

Craig

Yeah i already knew i could i just have issues with food like that being shipped its also a bit on the expensive side
But thanks anyway

SRF is expensive, although trying it once won't kill most pockets.  BTW: I've tried their tri-tip, oh baby it was great! If you are somewhat near a Whole Foods you can probably get their meat department to order some in.

Last edited:
In some areas it is super hard to find tri tip, that's because we hog it all here in the PNW! We tried to not let the secret out, but that didn't happen!

Another good option that turns out very close to tri tip is London Broil. Give it a try.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/176040/a-little-pre-game-feast
Come on now you gotta share with the rest of the world.... But i believe im going to try the London Broil or London Smoke.... Thanks for the input. 

[/IMG]

Here is my "London smoke". It was labeled London broil and I bought it because no one here has tri-tip either. Turned out awesome! I would venture to say that any tender, long course grain meat like this would do alright but then again that was my first beef smoke.

Shelton
that looks mighty tasty.... whats that rub you used on yours?

Thank ya! I coated it in Worcestershire sauce and then rubbed it in big poppa smokers double steak rub. You can buy it from their site. Lotta good ribs on there.

Shelton

hmmm i haven't tried that one yet. and yeah i have seen their rubs i usually make my own or use Montreal steak seasoning for beef. saves money...

Last edited:
hmmm i haven't tried that one yet. and yeah i have seen their rubs i usually make my own or use Montreal steak seasoning for beef. saves money...

my favorite run for beef is Salt, pepper and garlic. Let the meat shine! 50/50 mix of cherry and pecan, Golden!!!!!

If you find a good butcher, just remember to bring him/her some smoked meat samples to bribe.....errrr....I mean coax them to stock more tri tips or whatever cuts you are looking for. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky