Canned corned beef hash

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Never had it in the mess hall.

The MRE stuff was nasty though

MREs weren't out in my day.
We had all C-rations, and I never personally saw any Corned Beef Hash.
As bad a Rap as C-rats got, I preferred them over what was prepared in Army Mess Halls. My Platoon used to do night raids on the Engineer's storage barn, and every one of us had a couple cases of C's under our cots at our Base Camp Hooch.
I mostly remember:
"Ham with Water Added"
"Beef Steak & Potatoes"
"Beans & Weenies"
These meals were pretty good heated up in a little Wire Stove, over a ball of Blue-Flaming c-4 plastic explosive.
I gotta try some Corned Beef Hash. I can't remember ever having that, at home, or away.

Bear

On Edit: OOOOPS---Changed my mind----> I just looked it up---A 7 ounce serving of Corned Beef Hash has 1,000 mg of Sodium, and 350 Calories.
A 14 ounce can (2000 mg of Sodium) would more than likely finish me off!!

Last edited:
Reactions: bauchjw
we had field cooks too. one cook had a big box where everyone would put parts of MREs they didn't want.
He would take it all and somehow always come up with a tasty stew or soup. great to have on a cold, wet day.
When I first joined we called that Mogadishu Stew. In my time it evolved to Rat F*** Stew and the box with random MRE contents "The Rat F*** Box." I've been a staff guy for a while now so I'm not sure what the new term is, but I'm sure it's equally flattering. Ironically, I always felt that the MREs tasted better when everything was mixed together and you couldn't really identify any one element. The Corned Beef mixed with Tuna and Noodles, diced 5 finders of death, rice pilaf, tabasco, jalapeno cheese somehow turned into a decent stew of any name. Of course, ranger pudding on pound cake is the perfect desert!

Sowsage Sowsage , very cool technique for a fun breakfast! My father liked cooking canned Corned Beef for us too, but he'd flatten it like a pancake in a CI with bacon grease so that it had that nice crunch on the outside, definitely key! I have neglected introducing my kids, thank you for reminding me!

Reactions: TNJAKE
I have usually fried it with diced onions, sometimes a few peppers out flat also in bacon grease most of the time. I would suggest trying a little dab of mustard on the side for a different taste also.

The OP idea of slicing out of the can is really neat, I will have to give that a try also. Thanks for sharing. Sometimes even the simple things elude us.

Reactions: Sowsage
When I first joined we called that Mogadishu Stew. In my time it evolved to Rat F*** Stew and the box with random MRE contents "The Rat F*** Box." I've been a staff guy for a while now so I'm not sure what the new term is, but I'm sure it's equally flattering. Ironically, I always felt that the MREs tasted better when everything was mixed together and you couldn't really identify any one element. The Corned Beef mixed with Tuna and Noodles, diced 5 finders of death, rice pilaf, tabasco, jalapeno cheese somehow turned into a decent stew of any name. Of course, ranger pudding on pound cake is the perfect desert!

Sowsage Sowsage , very cool technique for a fun breakfast! My father liked cooking canned Corned Beef for us too, but he'd flatten it like a pancake in a CI with bacon grease so that it had that nice crunch on the outside, definitely key! I have neglected introducing my kids, thank you for reminding me!
i would use a 2inch by 2inch square of stale T-Rat pound cake soaked in alcohol for cleaning map overlays as "sterno" to heat up a canteen cup of coffee, coco or soup.

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw and TNJAKE
This is one meal I am happy to say that I can't eat, because it's not Keto friendly.:emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy:

Canned corned beef hash ..... Years ago I wouldnt touch this stuff.. Looks like slop..(or dog food).. But a few years ago I baught a can and thought...what the heck I'll give it a try.. Figured out its actually pretty good. Now dont get me wrong its not like a good homemade hash with some leftover corned beef .. But it fills the void and its quick and easy.
For me the key is to get it crispy! I'll share with you the way ive been doing it.

Get a cast iron good and hot with a splash of oil...
Then grab your can of corned beef hash..( I like to use the big family size can and put it in the fridge the night before.)
Open both ends with a can opener and then push the whole thing out in one big chunk.
Slice it into 8 rounds then place them in your hot oiled pan... Let them sit and get really really crispy before flipping over.. If you try and do it too soon they will fall apart!

View attachment 526609View attachment 526610View attachment 526611

I like to put an over easy egg on top and some avacado on the side...and don't forget the hot sauce!!

View attachment 526612

This is a pretty common breakfast around here. Both the boys love it and its a good hearty meal for the start of their day!

Doing the corned beef this way makes for a nice crispy outside and soft inside..nothing fancy by any means but I thought I would share if anyone wantet to try it out!

Thanks for taking a look!
You forgot the fried Hash Browns !!!

I can't believe I went to a " Pre snow panic " grocery store to buy canned hash yesterday . LOl . Got in and out just in time .
Just realized I got 1 corned beef hash , and 2 roast beef hash .
I'll eat corned beef hash once in awhile but like the roast beef more, though I don't see it around here very often. The sausage hash (Hormel) is the best of the three IMO. A Walmart in Salem is the only place that carries it here that I know of, so whenever I run low I go in and buy 10-15+ cans, whatever they have on the shelf. I do get some funny looks from the checker.

Reactions: chopsaw and Sowsage
I'll eat corned beef hash once in awhile but like the roast beef more, though I don't see it around here very often. The sausage hash (Hormel) is the best of the three IMO. A Walmart in Salem is the only place that carries it here that I know of, so whenever I run low I go in and buy 10-15+ cans, whatever they have on the shelf. I do get some funny looks from the checker.
What!??! Sausage hash!?!!? Never seen it but that sounds like it would be real good!

Reactions: Norwester55
I need to find , or ask my Mom about the Corn beef hash casserole we had as kids .
If you find out id be intrested in this as well.. Sounds like it would be a good weeknight meal for the boys and I

Reactions: chopsaw
If you find out id be intrested in this as well.. Sounds like it would be a good weeknight meal for the boys and I
Travis it's awesome , and I had actually forgot about it until you posted this thread . If they eat it like you fixed it , they will go nuts over the casserole . I think I have it figured out , just need to make it to see if that's it . Called Mom today ,,, she wasn't on her best game .

Reactions: Sowsage
Travis it's awesome , and I had actually forgot about it until you posted this thread . If they eat it like you fixed it , they will go nuts over the casserole . I think I have it figured out , just need to make it to see if that's it . Called Mom today ,,, she wasn't on her best game .
Sounds promising...keep me posted please!

Reactions: chopsaw
Look what you made me do!:emoji_laughing:

I attempted the fridge and slicing trick, but it turns out that Hormel cans are rounded at the bottom, so the can opener didn't work. I had to scoop it out and hand form the patties. It kinda worked out, because they needed to be a little bigger to git the bagels.

I had trouble keeping the patties together, so I'll have to experiment with binders next time. And there will definitely be a next time. They were delicious!

20220306_090517.jpg

Look what you made me do!:emoji_laughing:

I attempted the fridge and slicing trick, but it turns out that Hormel cans are rounded at the bottom, so the can opener didn't work. I had to scoop it out and hand form the patties. It kinda worked out, because they needed to be a little bigger to git the bagels.

I had trouble keeping the patties together, so I'll have to experiment with binders next time. And there will definitely be a next time. They were delicious!

View attachment 527888
Heck yeah that looks tasty!!!
Hormel is what I used... But it was the family size canned.. I'm able to open both ends on that can and the slices are bigger.
The only thing that holds them together is getting them really crispy....i could see it beeing very difficult to make a sandwich patty... I might have to play around with that as well....maybe mix in an egg??

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky