Canadian Bacon and Brining

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pugsbrew

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 11, 2015
SE Ohio
Just curious how many brine cure when making CB vs dry curing? Any comments? I was looking at Pop's brine for CB.

Pops is great to use. I prefer to dry cure mine. Why you might ask??? Dry cure seems to fry up better, maybe its just me. Who knows.

Pops is great to use. I prefer to dry cure mine. Why you might ask??? Dry cure seems to fry up better, maybe its just me. Who knows.

I read the "fry up" statement in another thread. When you say "fry up" better, what exactly is the difference?

Thhx

I read the "fry up" statement in another thread. When you say "fry up" better, what exactly is the difference?

Thhx

To me its the texture and on the belly bacon it dont curl as much. Again, its what one likes. Dry cure is easier to add spices to your liking, they add more flavor dry curing then in a bucket of brine.

Again, this is what like. Not all will agree.

Just curious how many brine cure when making CB vs dry curing? Any comments? I was looking at Pop's brine for CB.
I say do them all . I like Tender quick on loins , but have used Pop's and Dave's injection method . I still need to do a dry cure with cure 1 .
The info is there , so I want to learn them all .
So to answer the question , I dry cure with Tender quick .

Reactions: zwiller
I've done both dry and wet brine with cure #1 and other ingredients.
I found wet brine infused more flavor.
My next batch will incorporate the hybrid method as noboundaries noboundaries
Dry cure seems to fry up better, maybe its just me. Who knows.
I read the "fry up" statement in another thread. When you say "fry up" better, what exactly is the difference? ....
I prefer a dry brine due to the finished meat consistency. Yes, it fries up better without the popping one gets from wet brine commercial bacon due to evaporating the water content.

My first one followed Bearcarver's step by step exactly. Every one after that was done the same way, because they come out perfectly. I am very comfortable using Tender Quick.

Reactions: chopsaw
I wet cure with Pops brine for 3 weeks. I've done it both with the recommended 8-10 days and 21-22 days. The longer soak gives the loin much better texture and flavor.

Reactions: Jabiru
I wet cure with Pops brine for 3 weeks. I've done it both with the recommended 8-10 days and 21-22 days. The longer soak gives the loin much better texture and flavor.

That’s interesting I’ve got loins and belly’s brining now, 14 days on Monday, think I’ll leave em until Friday.

Reactions: Norwester55
I dry cure using "digging dog farms cure calculator". Just google that and you can make the adjustments for salt and sugar that you want. I also use that for belly bacon. I just adjust the sugar a little higher for canadian bacon as we like it a little sweeter. and I use Turbanado sugar for canadian as well.

Reactions: JC in GB
Never brine cured always Bear's method of Tender Quick. Has worked well for me no reason to change. Again my reason as said many times it all comes down to personal preference. So trying other ways is not wrong do so and decide what works best for you.

Warren

Reactions: JC in GB
I use 2 different methods that have worked well for me.

First Disco's dry brine method produces great product. You won't be disappointed with it.

Second, I use a method I call the 10% brine method.
This method uses 10% of the weight of the meat in water added to the brining bag. The sugar/salt/cure#1 are then calculated for the total weight of meat + water. This gives you an equilibrium brine. You can also inject this 10% brine for faster curing.

Basic bacon cure 10% injection

1 kg meat

100 ml H2O

25.8 g brown sugar

18.25 g salt

2.75 g cure #1

Mix cure#1 in first then add other ingredients. Don't worry if the mixture isn't fully dissolved, the water in the meat will finish that process.

If you must have a liquid brine, heat the water and mix together all but the cure#1. Heat and stir until all components are dissolved. Cool mixture. Mix cure#1 with a small quantity of water then add to your brine mix.

2.0% NaCl + Cure1 (Gives final product a 2.0% salt concentration.)

JC :emoji_cat:

Last edited:
Reactions: Fueling Around
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky