Can you use both?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tsapp

Original poster
Oct 28, 2020
Can you or should you, use both wood chips as you normally would in the tray and use pellets in a tube at the same time?

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
Not recommended to use chips in a tube.

Welcome to the forum.

Warren
What I was meaning was to use wood chips like normal in the tray and use the pellets in the A-Maze-N tube at the same time

Yup that you can do but you will have a lot of smoke that way. I would use one or the other.
My mistake didn't read your post correct.

Warren

Reactions: tsapp
This is my first time using an electric smoker. I have been using a stick burner with great results but i have not been able to find wood for it here locally. I was told the electric doesn't produce as much smoke and that I should try adding a tube, but wanted to get other peoples opinions on this. I can see where this electric could be handy for the colder winter months here in Nebraska

what kind of smoker, i don't think you need to do both like the others said it may be to much smoke, i have a mes30 and i just use the amnps tray with mailbox mod no need to use chips and the tube will put off more smoke then the tray so i would just try the tube by itself once and then if you want more smoke next time try both.

The electric with the original chip tube will do you fine actually but you may need to keep it at a higher temp to keep the chips burning. And you will need to add about every 45mins.
A 6" pellet tube will burn without interruption for a little over 2 hrs, a tray full would be 8 -10 hrs

Reactions: MJB05615 and tsapp
Thank you everyone, I have a brisket that is a little over 15 lbs to smoke Saturday for my neighbor. I am going to have to put a rack at an angle to make it fit. I may try the U Bolt mod on the 12" tube I have and maybe grind the pellets in the blender a little. From what I have read here that seems to make the tubes last even longer. I used to have a GMG Daniel Boone that I had good results with and I used a tube inside of it for a little extra smoke also. Unfortunately my ex ended up with it and I believe her meth head kid stripped the wires out of it. I just picked up the MES 30 yesterday and found out the element was bad. The new element will be here tomorrow. And I will give it a test run bright and early on Saturday. I will post pics of the results!

Yes pack the pellets in tight so it cant catch fire , burns faster than just pellets but more flavor imo

I wouldn’t recommend doing that for your first time. Wait till you gain more experience with the electric.
I know I was disappointed the first couple times with smokin chips until I learned the quirks of the smoker. I also have the pellet tray and although it produces more consistent and longer smoke, it doesn’t seem to produce the (stronger) smoke flavor that I like.
The chips (in my opinion) gives a better smoke flavor, but only lasts about 45’ and has trouble burning at 225*.
Personally I think using both would be “over the top” but you would have to experiment. But again, wouldn’t recommend for your first couple of times.

I use the tube with pellets in my MES 40, plus I use the cold smoke attachment from MB with chips. The cold smoke attachment needs refill every hour, but I only use it every other hour or so. I only use both when I want 2 different flavored woods at the same time. Like sometimes on ribs I use hickory chips in the cold smoke attachment, and cheery or apple pellets in the tube. Or vice versa. Mostly I just use the tube. The 12' tube with the u bolt mod lasts 5-6 hours. The tray didn't work in my smoker. Once the cold smoke attachment breaks, I'll switch to the mailbox mod.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky