Can you foil too early?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

baseballguy99

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
Red Bud, IL
i have a pork butt in the smoker around 7lbs. I put it on last night around 8:30 pm at 225* and didn’t plan on foiling.

I will most likely have to work this evening and wanted it to be done before I head off to work.

Well here it is about 8am and it’s only at 150!

So looks like I will be foiling so it will get done. Is there any reason I couldn’t foil it now to finish, other than less bark?

I always wrap my pork butts around 150-160, usually more around the 160 mark but if it stalls around 150 I have no issue foiling it to help progress. Usually for my I have a nice bark by this point and it doesnt get soggy if I foil it for the rest of the time. Could also finish it in the oven if you decide to wrap it.

You might want to put an oven thermometer in there and see what that says. After 12hrs, a 7lb butt should be way past 150. Should be either done, or darn near.

How long do you have before you have to go to work?
Personally I prefer to not foil my butts, cause we like the thick bark.
At 275 unfoiled you should hit 203 in 4 or 5 hours, if you foil it you will probably cut that time by an hour or so.
Al

I'm like Al, no foil.

Want to know how to turn a 16-20 hour smoke into something that feels like 4-6 hours? Put your 7-11 lb butt/picnic in the smoker at 6 PM at 225F. Let it go all night, sleep like a baby, or like an old man who has to get up every 2-3 hours anyway, then when you wake up in the morning, crank the heat up to 275-300F. 4-6 hours later, it's in the 203F internal temp sweet zone with an AWESOME bark.*

*Does not apply to stick burners unless you have a caffeine powered organic fuel feeder system.

I work for the Railroad so technically my phone could ring at any time!

I went ahead and foiled.

I'm like Al, no foil.

Want to know how to turn a 16-20 hour smoke into something that feels like 4-6 hours? Put your 7-11 lb butt/picnic in the smoker at 6 PM at 225F. Let it go all night, sleep like a baby, or like an old man who has to get up every 2-3 hours anyway, then when you wake up in the morning, crank the heat up to 275-300F. 4-6 hours later, it's in the 203F internal temp sweet zone with an AWESOME bark.*

*Does not apply to stick burners unless you have a caffeine powered organic fuel feeder system.

That was my plan, I thought being a smaller butt that if I started at 8:30 then it would be done around noon the next day.

How’s did it turn out? Have decent bark on it? I don’t know if foiling it in an MES is different then in a pellet/charcoal grill.

It turned out very good! The bark was a little soft, but still decently thick.

Once I foiled it, it finished in about 2hr 45mins at 275*

Glad to hear it turned out good. If you foil next time maybe remove the foil for the last chunk of time to let the bark harden back up. Sometimes I will do that, but I take my butts all the way to 208, the bone comes out with no fuss.

I did a bunch of butt smokes and always foiled when it hit the stall. After repeatedly reading in this forum about how much better it turns out if you just let it ride, I finally let it go for 24 hours, without any foiling, until it reached 205. The result? Definitely a little more smoke, a lot more bark, but also dry and, overall, not as good.

So, just like the "3-2-1" method for ribs, I am a big fan of foiling because it makes your cooking time MUCH more predictable and repeatable (I don't like to keep people waiting for dinner), and the result is, for me, better. Since I still get 6-8 hours of smoke before the foil, there is plenty of smoke and bark.

I'm not a big fan of a thick crunchy bark. So I foil. I also don' like doing overnight smokes so foiling helps with that. Technically you can foil at anytime you want start to finish. It's all about the final product and how you like it.

Chris

I've always experimented with cooking/grilling/smoking. I can't stop. Heck, I've got a pizza dough experiment cold fermenting in the fridge right now, but back to butts.

I've been the main cook in the house for decades. When I wanted pulled pork, I'd oven roast the meat uncovered at 350F for three hours, then cover it and roast it for another 2-4 hours at 350F until it was tender. I was never a fan of the slow cooker. There are lots of recipes online that have you foil right from the start when oven roasting. I've done it, and it works too.

When I first started smoking I always foiled butts at the stall because it was similar to how I'd oven roasted them for decades. At the time I was not a big fan of bark. When they hit the stall, I foiled. I used a variety of chamber temps.

After I got familiar with my smoker, I tried bumping the foil temp up to 180F internal temp. It gave a slightly firmer bark and I liked it. That was my go-to for quite a while.

The first time I let it go unfoiled until it was done, 8/24/2014, I kept the smoker at 225F the whole time until IT reached 205F and it was probe tender. An 8 lb butt took 17.2 hours and it was AWESOME!

Then I switched to hot n fast, 275-325F, no foil. Great bark, juicy meat, target temp and probe tenderness reached in an hour per pound. I was working then and often took PP to work or block parties for potlucks so the hot n fast worked great. I still use hot n fast if pressed for time.

Once I quit working, I switched it up again. 225F overnight, then crank it up to 275+ in the morning as the meat is coming out of the stall. Great bark, juicy meat, probe tender.

I now rely on probe tenderness to tell me when it's done. Because I use a thermometer to probe for tenderness, I get the IT of the meat too, but regardless what the IT tells me, how that probe slides into the meat tells me if it's done or not.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky