Can you add seasoning to bland snack sticks?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smaterchew

Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
Someone gave me a box of Cabelas Hot Sticks Snack Stick Kit. I tried it out using 5lbs of venison burger with fat. They give you an amount to use per lb. if doing less than the 25lbs the kit will make. 1 Tbsp of Seasoning per lb and 1 3/4 tsp of cure. I added an extra Tbsp of seasoning to the mix. Stuffed in 17mm casings and smoked till they reached 152 degrees. They looked great, smelled awesome, but they are just too bland. Not salty enough and definitely not hot. After I cut them to length, the ends I threw into a sandwich bag, threw in a little salt, and threw them in the frig. Today they tasted a whole lot better and have seemed to soak up the salt. Thinking about unpacking the rest of the vacuum sealed sticks, hitting them with some salt and cayenne, and vacuum sealing them again. Anyone have a tried and true method on adding seasoning to already smoked snack sticks?

Can't help with the already done sticks, but if you used 1 3/4 tsp of cure for 5# that's too much. 1 tsp for 5# is the accepted rule.
Be careful....

Can't help with the already done sticks, but if you used 1 3/4 tsp of cure for 5# that's too much. 1 tsp for 5# is the accepted rule.
Be careful....
IIRC that mix comes with Maple Cure. Quick look at some of my Owens seasoning instructions show 1 & 3/4 tsp per lb of meat, so that should be right.

IIRC that mix comes with Maple Cure. Quick look at some of my Owens seasoning instructions show 1 & 3/4 tsp per lb of meat, so that should be right.

That is the correct amount of the maple/cure per pound.
Regular cure #1 is 1 level tsp per every 5 lbs of meat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky