Can We Get Member Status (Posts/Likes) Back In The Avatar Box?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grillmonkey

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 15, 2014
Twin City, GA
This was initially going to be a reply to SmokinAl's thread about threads disappearing/falling off "New Posts" link. (I would post the link, but I couldn't get back to it.) As I was writing, I decided this would probably be more appropriate as its own thread.

I usually come here to get advice instead of give it. What helped me filter out the good advice from the bad was a member's status. If advice I received from one person conflicted with advice from someone else, I usually deferred to advice offered by the one with the most posts/likes. Sure, it's not a guarantee that the more experienced poster is right over the one with fewer posts, but if he has a high post-to-like ratio, odds are good that he knows what he's talking about. So, I miss the post/likes being visible in the avatar box.

I don't know the logic that was used to make the decision to remove it. I suspect that it might have something to do with some members who seemed to be in a competition to see who could make the most posts. It is pretty obvious when your threads get replies like "Welcome to the forum." Or, a person who's only been a member for three months has 5000 posts with 2 likes. (I could be wrong.) I realize you can click on the members avatar and see it, but I'm way too lazy to do that.

In any event, I liked it the way it was.

And, going back to SmokinAl's thread about threads disappearing in "New Posts", I wish they'd change that back, too.

I have to agree with you on this one, I liked the old format better. If someone gives an opinion, it's nice to know that they have been on here a while, and I also miss the tag that said "Thread starter", sometimes you reply to a thread & the person isn't even the thread starter. Now you may get a renowned chef who has just signed up & has 3 posts giving his opinion & nobody is listening to him, cause he's new, but in most cases if someone has been on here a long time with a lot of posts, the advice you get from him is going to be accurate. If I don't know the answer to a question, I know who to PM to get the answer & I will not take a guess as to what the answer is. I will tell you that I don't know, but I will find out.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky