Can it be too cold?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Beanhall

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 23, 2017
Salina, KS
Just wondering if it can be too cold to cold smoke cheese. It is currently 7° in Kansas. Last time I cold smoked it was 30-40 and it went perfect. I use a AMZ Tube smoker to smoke the cheese.

Similar concern here in Ohio. Curious how much heat AMNPS or AMNTS generates in a MES.

Last weekend I cold smoked BB bacon in my MES with the AMNPS. Ambient temp rose from 30F to 48F through the day. Temp inside the smoker gradually got above 100F, at which point I put in a jug of frozen water to lower the temp. I was actually surprised how much heat was generated by those little smoldering pellets.

Reactions: zwiller
Last weekend I cold smoked BB bacon in my MES with the AMNPS. Ambient temp rose from 30F to 48F through the day. Temp inside the smoker gradually got above 100F, at which point I put in a jug of frozen water to lower the temp. I was actually surprised how much heat was generated by those little smoldering pellets.

Thanks! This basically matches what I found searching but not much detail. Basically, pellets boost temps but dust does not. That said, 100F from pellets alone is surprising.

Its currently a balmy -31*C , -39*C with the wind chill and I just took a block of cheddar out of my MES 40 running an AMNPS tube with no heat and the cheese turned out just fine. I just let the smoke warm up the smoker to above freezing then put the cheese in. The smoker was about 65*F each time I checked. This was a block of extra sharp white cheddar, now it's got a great color after 4 hours of smoke. Ive also got some Himalayan pink salt going overnight as well.
IMG_0158.JPG

IMG_0161.JPG

IMG_0160.JPG

Its currently a balmy -31*C , -39*C with the wind chill and I just took a block of cheddar out of my MES 40 running an AMNPS tube with no heat and the cheese turned out just fine. I just let the smoke warm up the smoker to above freezing then put the cheese in. The smoker was about 65*F each time I checked. This was a block of extra sharp white cheddar, now it's got a great color after 4 hours of smoke. Ive also got some Himalayan pink salt going overnight as well.View attachment 348851
View attachment 348852
View attachment 348853

Wish it was that warm where I live!
Nice looking cheese.

Its currently a balmy -31*C , -39*C with the wind chill and I just took a block of cheddar out of my MES 40 running an AMNPS tube with no heat and the cheese turned out just fine. I just let the smoke warm up the smoker to above freezing then put the cheese in. The smoker was about 65*F each time I checked. This was a block of extra sharp white cheddar, now it's got a great color after 4 hours of smoke. Ive also got some Himalayan pink salt going overnight as well.View attachment 348851
View attachment 348852
View attachment 348853
That salt looked like canned corned beef hash to me.Thanks for the idea..corned beef hash hot smoked in a CI DO or Pan is gonna happen!

Edit : or roast beef hash or the new sausage hash!

How do you know if salt if overdone? I was going to smoke some soon.

Smoked 3lbs of cheese a day ago. It was 20F outside and temps inside my MES+AMNPS were perfect for cheese! Started 40 in moments if lighting and stayed under 70F for 4hours. Only problem was that the cheese didn't really take on much color. Might be the cob pellets. Smells great though.

The color may come post mellowing period.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky