Can I finish Ribs, Pork Butt, Brisket, anything in the oven?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

John Goostree

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 24, 2018
Las Vegas
I have never seen this discussed, but since you often wrap your meat in foil or butcher paper to stop it from taking on more smoke, I wonder if you can finish it in the oven? If this would negatively affect the cook, why? I would prefer to do this to save money on pellets/wood/charcoal and not have to manage a stick burner fire any longer than needed if I can just finish in the oven.

Reactions: JC in GB
If you're wrapping the meat, absolutely you can finish in the oven. Heck, you can finish unwrapped meat in the oven once it has enough smoke on it.

I haven't done it in a while, but often finished in the oven when I was working and pressed for time.

As was said above you can finish things in the oven if you want. Once wrapped in foil heat is heat and the meat doesn't care where it comes from. Foiling is more often done to braise the meat not get it out of the smoke. Braising cooks it faster and makes it more tender. I have finished pork butts, briskets, and pork loins in the oven. If doing ribs 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 then you may want to leave them in the smoker because that last hour is out of the foil and back on the grate.

You can uncover the last hour in the oven to set the bbq sauce also no need to go back outside

Reactions: 2008RN
I have finished brisket ribs beef ribs in the oven and again I don't wrap and they were fine. I may add that this is done at low and slow 225 - 250.

Warren

Reactions: fullborebbq
I have been finishing all my briskets in the oven. 4 to 6 hours in the smoker, foil wrap then into a 270F oven ro finish. I smoke at 260-280F. Can't tell the difference. A lot easier for me.

RG

Reactions: Hawging It
Why do people use pellets/wood/charcoal and with a stick burner work to maintain fire temperature when they can finish in the oven?

Why do people use pellets/wood/charcoal and with a stick burner work to maintain fire temperature when they can finish in the oven?

Pure enjoyment for me. I love sitting around the smoker with friends and family smoking, drinking, and chewing the fat. It's all about quality time and making memories.

Chris

Wrapping has its advantages, but the flavor and texture difference of no wrapped meat is noticeable. Plus, for those with hands off smokers, the effort between an oven or the smoker is negligible.

Reactions: JC in GB
Sometimes the smell scares people because it really does smell like there's a fire in the house.

But it would smell like a wood-smoke campfire, not a stovetop grease fire.

I have been finishing all my briskets in the oven. 4 to 6 hours in the smoker, foil wrap then into a 270F oven ro finish. I smoke at 260-280F. Can't tell the difference. A lot easier for me.

RG
Quick question. Do you leave it wrapped in foil until ready to
I haven't done it in a while, but often finished in the oven when I was working and pressed for time.

Quick question, if finishing a pork butt in the oven do you leave it wrapped in foil until ready to pull? Also, I imagine wrapping it and finishing it in the oven softens the bark. Is that an issue?

Best

Capt. RL Cremer
P.s. Were you Navy or Coast Guard? Our wings were/are the same.

Agree you can finish anything in oven and the smell is strong but doable/wife is cool with it and she is picky. That said, searing ribs on a hot grill is a must for me. I smoke them one day, wrap in foil, and chill and then grill and sauce another day.

Quick question. Also, I imagine wrapping it and finishing it in the oven softens the bark. Is that an issue?
Wrapping in foil no matter what will soften your bark. This is why some choose not to wrap at all. Or some choose butcher paper to lessen that softening. So yes, if you wrap you will soften that bark up.

That said, searing ribs on a hot grill is a must for me. I smoke them one day, wrap in foil, and chill and then grill and sauce another day.

i just started doing this with my ribs and i love how it turns out. you get the wood flavor from the smoke, then the char from the grill. i won't do it any other way now.

back on topic: another reason to finish in the kitchen oven is to get a higher temperature that your smoker can't reach or because it's too much work/effort, e.g. when smoking chicken, you can finish it in the oven at 350+ to crisp up the skin.

Last edited:
Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky