can a person be conditioned to

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hmmm---Agree with some of that:
Calamari---The only Calamari I ever had was tough, like rubber bands.
Avocado----No flavor of any kind.
Frog Legs---I love them!!!
Lamb----I never had it & didn't go out of my way to try it, because Mrs Bear would not eat it.
Rocky Mountain Oysters---I never had them, but I heard they were great Cowboy food.

Bear
Calamari - you might have had meat from a larger or older squid, younger squid are usually cut into rings.
Avacado - aka butter pears. They do benefit from seasoning or mixed up for guacamole.
Lamb - Some people are turned off because they think of lamb like veal.... a baby animal. Actually a yearling lamb is a perfect age and size. Another reason is that oven roasted lamb can be boring, where as grilled or smoked lamb is totally different. Also, I prefer domestic lamb over imported.
Rocky Mountain Oysters - aka bull fries, but there are also turkey fries and lamb fries. I'm just nuts over them. 'Nuff said. :emoji_laughing:

Bear, this thread got me thinking. Any foods you (all military people here) military guys had that you hated but came around to look forward to?
When I was a teen, a couple of my dad's hunting buddies were Navy vets from WWII, rest were Army from 1950's-70's. They all talked about how much they hated the dreaded S.O.S. Then they would proceed to cook up a batch. I never figured out why, but I did learn a lot about life from those guys.

not JUST eat , but like something they normally wouldn't

I always have wondered about oysters. they are delicious but who was the first person to look at one, crack it open and say hey I want that in my mouth?

I did convert a coupe folks who swore they hated mushrooms over to liking mushrooms. Most times I have found that I like most things if they are prepared properly. I have yet to prove that with durian fruit though. No matter how it is prepared I only taste feet. >_<

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I always have wondered about oysters. they are delicious but who was the first person to look at one, crack it open and say hey I want that in my mouth?
To add to that, what about eggs? I can just imagine bubba caveman following this chicken around, seeing it crap out an egg, and deciding to shove it in his mouth.

• Haha
Reactions: JC in GB
To add to that, what about eggs? I can just imagine bubba caveman following this chicken around, seeing it crap out an egg, and deciding to shove it in his mouth.
They More than likely saw some animal eat an egg, and then the Chicken.
I would think most of their eating came from watching animals eating things.
The biggest difference was when we humans introduced "Fire".

Bear

They More than likely saw some animal eat an egg, and then the Chicken.
I would think most of their eating came from watching animals eating things.
The biggest difference was when we humans introduced "Fire".

Bear
But what came first? The chicken or the egg?

Same with lobster and crab...nothing about a giant sea bug with claws would make me want to be the first to try it.

Lobster was initially considered poor people food. So much like brisket the poor delivered on the cooking methods. I want to know who was the taste tester for mushrooms. With all the poisonous varieties out there it must have been considered a high risk/ low reward job.

Chris

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Lobster was initially considered poor people food. So much like brisket the poor delivered on the cooking methods. I want to know who was the taste tester for mushrooms. With all the poisonous varieties out there it must have been considered a high risk/ low reward job.

Chris
Probably used prisoners or guys they captured from an opposing tribe or "Cave Family". Those would be the taste testers. At "Club-point".LOL

Bear

Same with lobster and crab...nothing about a giant sea bug with claws would make me want to be the first to try it.
The garbage trucks of the ocean.

In colonial times, lobsters were peasant food as well as fertilizer. It was also routinely fed to prisoners, apprentices and slaves. In fact some colonies passed a law limiting the number of days a week that lobster could be fed to slaves.

The garbage trucks of the ocean.

In colonial times, lobsters were peasant food as well as fertilizer. It was also routinely fed to prisoners, apprentices and slaves. In fact some colonies passed a law limiting the number of days a week that lobster could be fed to slaves.
I'm trying to picture a Slave saying, "Oh No, not Lobster Again!!"

Bear

Come visit sometime if you want to be proven wrong. DougE might just walk off and shut up (maybe), but there ain't no smoothing things over with a "Yes dear". I just ain't wired that way.
You and me both, my wife learned right off the bat that if she wanted to argue, to call her mother, because I don't play that shit. I don't remember one single time in 30+ yrs that we went to bed angry or an argument carried over to the next day.
If either of us are getting bent about something, we talk it out before it ever gets to the argument stage, or we just agree to disagree.

When I was a kid, I'd rather take an ass whoop'in from my Dad than eat pea's or eggplant, now I love them.

Reactions: DougE
When I was a kid, I'd rather take an ass whoop'in from my Dad than eat pea's or eggplant, now I love them.
Canned spinach for me. Still hate it. Haven't had it since I was a kid. I remember sitting at the dinner table with nothing left on my plate but that canned spinach until it was time to go to bed.

• Haha
Reactions: forktender
Canned spinach for me. Still hate it. Haven't had it since I was a kid. I remember sitting at the dinner table with nothing left on my plate but that canned spinach until it was time to go to bed.
I got caught when my dog puked up a bunch of pea's on my Mom's new carpet.
I was feeding them to the dog under the table
I caught a good whoop'in that night when Pop's got home from working a double shift.

A few weeks later my Pop's was removing a Juniper bush outside our front door.
And found a pile of pea's, I had been craming them in my front pocket when they weren't looking, so I could leave the table to go outside to play. I caught the leather strap for that one, big time.
Hahah, I was a little shit when I was a kid.

Reactions: noboundaries

With me it was Raw Onions, but it still is an allergy to their Smell.
It was OK, when my brother was home, because I couldn't eat Raw Onions, and he didn't like cooked carrots. Trading was easier to get away with than any other tricks.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky