can a person be conditioned to

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
How about the reverse?
When I was very young, my grandfather's favorite snack was a canned sardine, on top of peanut butter, on a soda cracker. Bones, head, and all. I tried it, and liked it, so it kind of became our thing. Fifty-five years later, I can't even stand the thought of that combination, let alone try it again.

When I was very young, my grandfather's favorite snack was a canned sardine, on top of peanut butter, on a soda cracker. Bones, head, and all. I tried it, and liked it, so it kind of became our thing. Fifty-five years later, I can't even stand the thought of that combination, let alone try it again.

I'll bet your grandfather's combo had a story associated with scarce times. Great memory.

I got one kinda reversed too.
When we were kids, we ate "Fried Cow Brains" a few times.
As I remember, it wasn't too bad, but I would not eat it again---Eww!

Then there was one of my favorites:
Every Sunday Morning, my Grandmother would make "Salt Mackerel".
I was always invited---She called me "Chunny". (PA Dutch accent)
They were packed in salt, and I remember soaking them overnight, to remove some of the salt. Then she slow simmered them in a big CI submerged in water.
Other than being pretty salty, it tasted great, with a lot of melted butter.
First you would take the side of your fork, and scrape down the sides to remove the skin, which by then was pure "Oil".
I would love to eat that now, but there are limits to "Too much Sodium", even for my recklessness.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky