Camping Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gadgetman

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 19, 2024
Looking for a decent smoker that I can load by myself, and take to the lake. We spend 10+ weeks a yr out there. My lil pellet grill works good for some cooks,but not the same on others.
Haven't tried the barrels,but maybe that's the answer? Just another smoker to learn.

Yeah I think the lighter the better to transport for sure. Barrel might be the way to go. I have a Chargriller Akorn that two people can lift easily but by myself not so much. Chargriller does sell the Acorn Jr. but you will be limited on room but have seen some YT videos of guys cooking some Awesome meals on it. Hope you find something that works for you!!

If you could use an electric, Smokin-It has 2 small electric smokers. I have the #1 that I take camping. I have done 3 racks of baby backs ribs (cut in half) in it, a 9# pork shoulder, 2 turkey breasts while camping.

If you could use an electric, Smokin-It has 2 small electric smokers. I have the #1 that I take camping. I have done 3 racks of baby backs ribs (cut in half) in it, a 9# pork shoulder, 2 turkey breasts while camping.
Smokin-It #1 here as well. Great smoker, plenty of room camping or in my case, smoking for my wife and I.

BIG question. What do you usually smoke? That will help with some ideas.
Good question, should have been more specific. I basically smoke about everything. The steaks,burgers,fish do fine on the pellet grill,even a rack or 2 of ribs. But, when we have family and friends out I need to smoke multiple racks,pork butts,possibly a brisket. Sometimes a dozen smoked steaks and baked tators,with burgers and brats for the kids.
So, capacity,light weight,and at least wood chunks for smoke with lump charcoal. Not interested in electric or charcoal.
The big WSM interests me due to the lite weight. But, it seems flimsy and seems like it'd be messy breaking down and loading in the back of a pickup. Maybe it isn't?
Haven't smoked on a barrel. Think I could throw a 55 in a truck. Think most are over priced,but cost isn't as big of an issue.

If you're not already towing a camper or boat, maybe get one of those nice trailer rigs.

If you're not already towing a camper or boat, maybe get one of those nice trailer rigs.
Towing both with two pickups. One with a topper,one without. A rack behind the camper carries the pellit grill and Blackstone. So the smoker would have to go in the truck. A trailer rig like that would be sweet though.

Reactions: DonP
a Kettle. The Kettle can easily smoke most things as well as grill.

Chris

I second this!

I've smoked lots of times in a Webber Kettle when I'm cooking away from home, or even at the house sometimes when I don't want to drag the big smoker out. Takes a little practice to master it, but pretty easy and straightforward setup.

And they don't require any power source like the portable pellet cooker options would.

Red

Thanks for all the opinions guys! I have a few months,but will look at all of them.

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky