Camp Chef ZG temp problems 1st cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

matty gunns

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 30, 2017
Hey guys. I recently purchased a camp chef zg 24 slide and grill from dicks. I assembled it and read the manual and aside from a couple cosmetic dings on the hopper and a scratch on the shelf attachment it looked in pretty good shape. I read the manual and followed the burnout.
I was smoking ribs at 225. The temps fluctuated about 40-50 degrees occasionally, but for the most part were steady. I upped it to 250, then to 275 trying to speed them up a little. 5 hours into the cook I checked and the temp was 130 degrees, dropping steadily. An hour before temps were fine. I did notice cavitation in the hopper and could see the auger, but could see pellets in the auger(bridging?). I contacted camp chef and they told me to check the thermometer and asked about pellets I was using. lumber jack Comp blend. I will say it was a VERY windy day/night. Can anyone add some advice
Or experience? Thanks a lot in advance.

Attachments

• B77C2AE7-6189-4406-B123-CED922BAF229.jpeg
    B77C2AE7-6189-4406-B123-CED922BAF229.jpeg
    237.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 13733C6D-6434-48BA-974D-7DC15C4B18A8.jpeg
    13733C6D-6434-48BA-974D-7DC15C4B18A8.jpeg
    233.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 4D807257-3937-447D-A67E-2092013BA218.jpeg
    4D807257-3937-447D-A67E-2092013BA218.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: Inkbirdbbq
just purchased a camp chef over the last days as well. i've had one similar experience but it took place maybe15 mins into my 2nd use. im not 100% but it seems that the auger may be getting ahead....too many pellets in burn chamber so I basically did a restart.

Turned it off. Pulled the Ash release knob to open and then closed it. i noticed i had a lot of unburned pellets. i then realized i didn't empty the ash before i started. i think the amount of ash stifled the pellets then it couldn't keep up. put it back up to the desired temp and it's been running fine since. on my fourth smoke now. i've just made sure i clear the ash as the first step when starting a smoke.

hope this helps.

Ok thanks for the heads up. Gonna try a few more smokes to see if it performs better. Was wondering if my unit was used looking at the burn pot, or if it was just normal welding char. Came with a few dings as well. I didn’t take the pellets out of the ash catcher after the first feed so maybe that could have caused an issue too.

Attachments

• AC0780CF-13FA-41C0-BC04-E5B94C745E2B.jpeg
    AC0780CF-13FA-41C0-BC04-E5B94C745E2B.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 409F28D8-CE97-475C-AFA9-018DE1F267BE.jpeg
    409F28D8-CE97-475C-AFA9-018DE1F267BE.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 9443B36B-095B-41A3-A673-16E1D550A83E.jpeg
    9443B36B-095B-41A3-A673-16E1D550A83E.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 81D70B66-119B-4857-8A77-B16A6F203AE9.jpeg
    81D70B66-119B-4857-8A77-B16A6F203AE9.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 49
Ok thanks for the heads up. Gonna try a few more smokes to see if it performs better. Was wondering if my unit was used looking at the burn pot, or if it was just normal welding char. Came with a few dings as well. I didn’t take the pellets out of the ash catcher after the first feed so maybe that could have caused an issue too.

looks about the same as mine does now. you certainly may have had some shipping bumps although mine was packed pretty well. unless youre OCD, these probably won't affect taste. try the clearing of the ashes before you start up next time and see if it makes a difference. if not, i'm sure camp chef will make it right. they have good customer care from what i've seen.

oh btw, did you use the high smoke setting or did you just set a temp? from what i understand, the high and low smoke settings will vary the temp to create the optimal amount of smoke. i noticed the temps going up and down. i confirmed it with some research online about the settings. my last smoke (st louis ribs) turned out awesome. i started on the high smoke setting from the get-go.

I just used a temp setting no smoke setting. I’m actually doing some chicken drumsticks right now gonna see how it fares. Just low at 225 for a while then maybe bump it up to crisp it. I did take a look at the hopper and saw there’s a little gap between the grill and the hopper assembly I read somewhere that someone was having problems with their auger and temp probe bc of the gap. New to pellets smokers so I have no idea what it’s supposed to look like. I notice the auger and fan constantly run off and on but I’m guessing that’s the norm for these smokers.

Attachments

• 91AA0D4D-AD73-479B-A25B-A54EFA7D8DD8.jpeg
    91AA0D4D-AD73-479B-A25B-A54EFA7D8DD8.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 39
  • C30698CB-6783-400E-BA5C-25053C36C96F.jpeg
    C30698CB-6783-400E-BA5C-25053C36C96F.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 41
  • BBCD0F48-2411-488D-B212-EAF6C13B4663.jpeg
    BBCD0F48-2411-488D-B212-EAF6C13B4663.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 46
I was smoking ribs at 225. The temps fluctuated about 40-50 degrees occasionally, but for the most part were steady. I upped it to 250, then to 275 trying to speed them up a little. 5 hours into the cook I checked and the temp was 130 degrees, dropping steadily. An hour before temps were fine. I did notice cavitation in the hopper and could see the auger, but could see pellets in the auger(bridging?).

For a non-PID grill some temp swings are normal and not a problem. Usually they will mostly stabilize after a while. When the grill is below setpoint it runs the auger for a certain amount of time to add pellets to the pot then turns it off and waits for a certain amount of time. The pellets start to burn and the temp may over shoot the setpoint a little as the pellets burn. After the pellets burn out the temp will begin to drop, slowly at first, then more quickly. The auger will run to add more pellets, but the temp may drop a bit more before the pellets light. If your temps are swinging +/- 50 degrees for the whole cook, that's not normal and you should contact the manufacturer. +/- 20 degrees isn't really a problem, especially if occasional and you shouldn't obsess over it.

A cavity in the hopper will tend to starve the auger of pellets until some happen to drop down into the screw. This will definitely cause your temps to plummet until the auger is able to get pellets back to the burn pot. Unfortunately I've been reading about cavitation in the hopper a lot about these grills lately and haven't really seen a solution. There must be something in the hopper design that makes them prone to this.

I did take a look at the hopper and saw there’s a little gap between the grill and the hopper assembly I read somewhere that someone was having problems with their auger and temp probe bc of the gap.

I don't see why it would be a problem, but you could probably fix that with a couple bolts. It shouldn't be affecting the temp probe, it's fully within the cook chamber and a wire connects it to the control board. All of the temp sensing is done at the probe and not the wire which is what would pass through that gap.

I notice the auger and fan constantly run off and on but I’m guessing that’s the norm for these smokers.

It's normal. We call it the duty cycle of the auger (or fan). It runs for a set amount of time, and it's off for a set amount of time. Most grills are probably using a constant on-time and a variable off time, since an excessive on-time will promote temp swings and an on-time that's too short could cause flame-outs. These values are pre-programmed into the controller, though some grills allow for a user adjustment of the feed rate. So at 225 degrees the auger may run for 10 seconds, then be off for 50 seconds, at 250 it might be on for 10 seconds and off for 40.

If we combine this info with what we talked about above, we can see where temp swings come from. If you set your grill to 225, but the temp is only 215 in the cook chamber, the auger will turn for 10 seconds and add pellets to the burn pot. Depending on how many pellets drop, the temp may go up to 225, or more likely it might overshoot to 235 or 240. Now the temp is 240 in the grill and 50 seconds pass (the off time of the auger), the temp probe interrupts the signal to run the auger since we're already at the proper temp. The controller waits a minute and checks again and goes through the same cycle etc etc. A pretty simple control algorithm. I could write an essay about how PID grills work, but the short and sweet version is that PID grills calculate a duty cycle for the auger based on the current temp and the rate-of-change of temp in the grill, so they may run the auger for more or less time based on those conditions and thus are able to maintain very tight temp control.

Sorry if that's long-winded and more than you wanted to know. That's the basics of how these grills work, but all the manufacturers have their own secret sauce regarding auger and fan duty cycles to maintain specific temps.

Last edited:
Reactions: negolien
Thank you very much for that explanation I appreciate the knowledge. I cooked chicken last night and it came out great and my temps stayed within 20 degrees for the most part, once hit 34 degrees over. This is only my second cook. I’m really starting to think the problem was the pellets not getting into the auger, I’m going to keep the hopper full almost all the time through my cooks now, checking on them occasionally. I emailed camp chef about the auger damage and they offered me a 100 dollar gift card to use for them. Thanks for all of the help guys.

I wouldn't necessarily say it's a problem with the auger or hopper per se. it's just that the pellett models have inherent draw backs. Strengths and weaknesses you know. It was one reason I went charcoal. I know alot of pellet guys love em. it's just a learning curve about the device sometimes.

CC controllers are crap. Its not the pellets or anything you did. Do a little searching on this form and you will see much the same problems.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky